“Laid back luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

You added Danesfield House Hotel And Spa to your Saves list
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Henley Road, Marlow-on-Thames, Medmenham SL7 2EY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Laid back luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed on a room and dinner package for our anniversary last weekend which was outstanding value. Arriving at Danesfield was quite spectacular, it's a grand building set in beautiful grounds and sets up the stay nicely. Check in was professional and friendly, and the entrance lobby is old world charm at its best. We had a four poster suite which was tastefully decorated and a really good size, with huge windows, immaculate furnishing and the bathroom was functional and clean. There was an anniversary cake in the room which was a nice touch. We took breakfast in the room and the selection and taste was excellent, and the food had good heat to it still.

My wife had the Danesfield trilogy treatment in the spa (while I got acquainted with the bar) which she thoroughly enjoyed and said the staff were really friendly. The pool was amazing and the whole spa was clean and restful.

We had our evening meal in the Orangery which we really enjoyed. We started with a cocktail in the bar, where the bar staff are all friendly and good humoured and while having our drink, a lovely waitress came and gave us some menu’s, explained some of the dishes and was able to answer all of our questions (which doesn’t always happen at some of the other notable places in Berks/Bucks) so again, we were impressed. I had the pigeon and medjool date starter which came with a pastilla of confit pigeon leg, I thought this was amazing and as good as anywhere I had them in France, so good actually that I could have eaten a plate full! I was boring for my main and went for fillet steak which was super tasty and cooked rare as requested, for dessert, I had cheese including Windsor blue. My wife was raving about her meal as well, she had goats cheese starter, venison which was cooked to perfection and the pistachio, chocolate dessert. Considering this is their standard restaurant, we were very impressed. The Oak Room must be something very special if the Orangery is anything to go on.

Reasonable wine list price and choice wise, the bar stocks some good premium spirits, including my favourite rum, Santa Teresa 1796 and does some excellent classic and modern cocktails.

We’ll definitely return, even if just for a meal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear JumboMumboLand

“Laid back luxury” neatly sums up what we aim to provide here at Danesfield, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Do contact me directly when you are next coming back even just for a bite to eat.

Very best wishes,

Anthony

Anthony Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

A bit of a late review, but better late than never,

Danefield house was the location of a very special Christmas party we had. It was located in a beautiful private room after a champagne reception in the main reception area.
The staff were polite and friendly but left us to get on with our party. The food was delicious and came well spaced out throughout the evening.
The setting was gorgeous and felt very classy for our 'posh do' and the hall next door was amazing for photos (such a huge christmas tree!)

I definitely plan to visit again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear gingermrs,

Thank you for posting a review of your Christmas party on Trip Advisor this week.

Christmas time is the ideal time to hold office parties here at Danesfield, and I was so pleased to read your complimentary comments of both our staff and the food offering on the night. I can think of no better photo opportunity than one next to our 18ft high Christmas tree in the Grand Hall!

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to rebook your next party night, and I shall handle your reservation personally.

Petersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I booked one night at Dansesfield House for my partner and I as a Birthday surprise. We started the day with a trip to The Spa. We relaxed, had a lovely light lunch followed by a wonderful massage each. I couldn't fault it, all the staff we met in the spa were so friendly and professional.
We then booked into the hotel, again met by very friendly and helpful reception staff. I'd upgraded to an executive room - we both were stunned not only by the room but also by the beautiful Birthday cake from the hotel for my partner, such a lovely touch.
We ate in The Orangery in the evening, great food and service, but the room was chilly. We were also slightly taken aback by the bar prices, this slightly clouded the evening.
Breakfast couldn't be faulted, perfect.
We had a lovely stroll around the fascinating grounds admiring the views before we left.
In the words of my partner - it was all simply marvellous!

Stayed January 2014
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Katy W,

We were thrilled to read your recent Trip Advisor review titled ‘Simply Marvellous’ today, thank you so much for taking time to write it.

It was our pleasure to entertain you and your partner for a birthday celebration, and I thank you again for you kind comments regarding our teams at the Spa, in the Orangery and at reception. Our executive rooms are amongst our most popular in the hotel, with excellent amenities for our guest’s comfort and enjoyment.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Had a lovely relaxing time with friends, shame the weather was bad as the views were amazing. The bread was fresh, the scones were warm & the mini cakes were delicious. Highly recommend. After the tea we sat in the lounge chatting, so comfortable. The building is amazing & the grounds are spectacular. Plenty of parking. The waiter service was very professional.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Herby69

Thank you for posting your review on Twitter and sharing your experience of Danesfield House Hotel & Spa. Afternoon Tea is very popular indeed and for all the reasons you mention.
Sadly the one thing we can't arrange is the weather! But hope you managed to see some of the views.

We hope you will visit us again soon and perhaps try The Orangery or The Oak Room. We have a new Executive Head Chef, Billy Reid, who is fabulous!

Kindest Regards

Georgia Lacey
Marketing Manager
Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at Danesfield house to celebrate my wife's birthday and had on the whole a superb time. My wife thought the spa treatments were amazing in particular the "Danesfield Trilogy". We had a light lunch at the Spa juice bar which was very tasty and the service was excellent. The pool facilities were very good although a few of the frescos had peeling paintwork. The public rooms in the hotel are all beautiful and manage a nice balance between being grand but also relaxed. Some of the corridors etc however are showing signs of being in need of renovation.
The room itself was extremely nice with views over the gardens and the river thames, the bathroom although perhaps a little small was very well appointed and the shower was excellent. The bed was perhaps a little soft but that it is personal preference. The only real disappointment with the room was the pillows which were ridiculously thin (a surprise for a luxury hotel in the UK although something I have come to expect from hotels in Germany) that said the hotel was very quick to provide additional pillows when we phoned to ask for some.
Dinner in the Oak Room was superb the main courses dishes (I had the turbot and my wife the Sea Bass) stood out in particular. Service was efficient and discreet as you would expect, and the sommelier was both knowledgeable and very helpful (which isn't always the case). Breakfast was good although perhaps understaffed a little as the toast and coffee took too long to arrive given that we were on our second trip to the buffet before they showed up.
Overall a very enjoyable stay and I would gladly recommend Danesfield House to friends especially if like us there were able to take advantage of a special offer.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have the best views over the river.
Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Danesfield House.

I was delighted to read that your wife enjoyed her birthday treat and that the experience was all that you had hoped for. I note your comments about the areas of improvement needed, and you may have noticed during your stay that we are currently carrying out an extensive refurbishment programme for bedroom and public areas with the first phase due to be completed later this year.

Nevertheless, the team and I were especially pleased to read your complimentary comments about service both in the spa and Oak Room restaurant, and I am glad our housekeeping team were able to accommodate your requirements for additional pillows in your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Danesfield House very soon.

Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

we stayed for two nights ,the Hotel is lovely old building in good condition ,we had a standard room which was nice but the bathroom is a trifle small or should i say compact.It was my wife's birthday and the staff had put a nice birthday cake in the room ,which i thought was a nice gesture.
All of the staff we met were very attentive and friendly .Breakfast was very good although the fruit selection was a little on the spartan side. We ate one night in the orangery which was very good,the only downside they had almost run out of cheese and could only find three types instead of the six on the menu,

I would recommend that smoking is not allowed by the front door having to walk passed a number of people smoking does not improve the image but then that's just a personal view.
All in all a nice place to stay and that was on a wet and windy January weekend. I did not use the spa due to an injury but it looked very nice with the nice touch of free fruit in reception .

Room Tip: I think you get what you pay for and the standard room in our case was fine
Dear hantshawk,

Thank you for your review of Danesfield House, and for your kind comments. We were so pleased to read that your wife enjoyed her birthday with us.

I take on board your comments about the Orangery and breakfast, and have shared the points you raise with both the hotel Head Chef and the restaurant team for action. I understand you were not able to use our award-winning spa during your stay with us, but I most certainly recommend it for next time you are here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa for a couple of nights in January as a London getaway. It is a beautiful building with a fascinating history, set in well kept gardens. The bedrooms are a good size and there is a wonderful lounge with roaring log fire - the perfect spot for afternoon tea.

We dined in the Orangery which, perhaps as it was a Sunday night, was quiet but due to its layout didn't feel empty with just a few tables occupied. The food was tasty, portions perhaps slightly on the smaller side, but we left feeling full - not stuffed! There's a great library with a full size snooker table, where we relaxed with a couple of drinks in the evening.

The spa is outstanding - one of the best indoor pools I've seen in a UK hotel. We both had a massage which was towards the more pricey end (£89), but the therapists were professional and thorough, asking whether I wanted focus on any particular areas.

The town of Marlow is a short drive away and well worth a visit for its boutique style shops and cosy pubs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!