“Quintessentially English” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

You added Danesfield House Hotel And Spa to your Saves list
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Henley Road, Marlow-on-Thames, Medmenham SL7 2EY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
“Quintessentially English”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

A lovely hotel in a quiet location near to Henley. For me the closeness to the motorway network was useful as you can get onto the M40 quickly.
The room was clean and functional. The staff were very polite and helpful, quickly sorting out a problem I had with the kettle in the room. I had breakfast and a bar meal on one of the evenings. Both were of good quality.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at Danesfield House for a few nights for business. I found the staff to be very nice, and the service to be very good. Prior to my arrival (on the phone) I'd had a little bit of a different view.

I would stay here again. I thought it was quaint, and a bit "old fashioned." I much prefer new and modern, but I can say that it was a lovely hotel. The doors and walls are thin, so I heard every footstep in the hallway and in the room above mine. I use a sound machine when I sleep, so I had no issues.

All in all, it was a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed for a night away with husband, spa was lovely as is the grounds. Room was ok not amazing. Bed and pillows were the most uncomfortable I have experienced in a long time, hubby had to have massage the following day to ease his back! We ate in the orangey which was nice but as some other people have mentioned we too were still hungry after three courses. Overall a nice night away but not sure it was worth the price and could be so so much better

• Stayed May 2013
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I visited the hotel on Saturday as we were in Marlow for the weekend. A friend of ours that live in Marlow recommended we visit the hotel and I am glad we did. It's a stunning country hotel with beautiful grounds overlooking the Thames.

We had tea on the hotel terrace and it was wonderful soaking up the sun and admiring the view. We then had a walk around the grounds and the hotel had an outside Asian wedding ceremony going on. We have many Asian friends and have been to a number of Indian weddings, but we've never seen anything like this. There was a beautiful stage where the wedding was taking place and all the guests were seated on what I can only describe as glass chairs...stunning! We watched the ceremony for a while and it was a truly fascinating experience as the Indian priest was explaining the whole ceremony in English as well as Indian. The bride by the way looked absolutely stunning!

We then walked over to the hotel marquee and again, it's nothing like we've ever seen before. It's like a huge conservatory with glass all the way round. The hotel staff were preparing the marquee for an evening reception. The hotel marquee manager noticed us looking inside and invited us in to have a closer look. I have to say, the marquees we've ever been in were nothing like this. It was absolutely stunning inside. It was a building not a tent. The manager explained that marquee was put up for larger events at the hotel. He then offered my wife and I some drinks and asked whether we would like to try some of the food that was being prepared for the evening. We were seriously taken aback, but we accepted... cheekily! He then brought over some Champagne and a plate of incredible Indian starters. there was fish, chicken, lamb, vegetables...the lot. We had two glasses of Champagne each and absolutely stuffed ourselves on some amazing food. What a top bloke!

The hotel obviously know how to look after their guests and we were very impressed by the hospitality we received. Danesfield is a stunning venue and we can understand why couples would want a wedding at the hotel. I'm sure it's expensive, but worth it if you can afford it. Maybe next time round!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I recently attended a wedding at Danesfield House. For the price that the bride and groom paid I was appauled! Firstly it cost us £40 for 3 drinks with only single shots in them. Secondly I had ordered the vegetarian menu, the lady brought me the lamb. I told her I was vegetarian and she told me I had not ordered it, when I had. She continued to tell me I was lying, and her manner was very rude. This lady in particular was very rude to other guests in the party. The lamb was also very undercooked, to the point where many guests sent it back. The food portions were very small and we were all still hungry after our 3 course meal! Also after dinner, we waited for 3 hours for the room to be cleared ready for the evening. We were all very disappointed and also found many of the staff very rude. I am in the wedding industry myself, and would definitely not recommend this venue to any brides. Poor value for money, too much waiting around, drinks too expensive and rude staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed for one night at this hotel. The grounds are so beautiful. The spa has a large pool, sauna and jacuzzi, however, it would benefit from some mood lighting. There are no water jets or water massage areas. We did like the fact that the pool is not overlooked by other rooms etc and there were plenty of loungers and towels around. The depth of the pool is 1.3m, all areas. It is larger than most which is a plus.No lifeguards on duty when we swam ( evening )but as we all know, a person can drown in a small amount of water if they can't swim so it is at your own risk. Children have set times when they are allowed in the pool and they are never allowed in the jacuzzi) There are swimming doodles and boards kept by the side of the pool.Our room had a bedroom, bathroom and separate living area which was very spacious, however, there were around 5 dirty marks on the carpet and the sofa could do with a clean as well. The rest of the room was cleaned to a high standard.There are tea and coffee making facilities in the room ( no biscuits though !), a trouser press and a hair dryer. We had room service ( continental breakfast ) included in our room rate. Nothing exceptional about that ( 1 cereal, 1 piece of toast etc ). Make sure you ask for a tea strainer as I ended up with a mouthful of tea leaves and had to order fresh tea and a strainer! A cooked breakfast is just under £10 pp. The room has a mini bar with mini bar prices. Take your own! A Mars bar is £1.50 so you get the idea.There is a Michelin starred restaurant on site but we had eaten elsewhere. We were told upon leaving that a cleaning company has been employed to go through all of the hotel rooms so the stains should be rectified in due course. We both had treatments in the spa, my husband had a massage and I had the Morrocan Oil head and neck massage. While the massage was really good, I believe the oil would need to be used a lot of times to make any difference to my hair. The spa staff were very welcoming and friendly and we could not fault them. To sum up....the beautiful grounds and river views are the best part. The swimming area was pretty average, the spa treatments were very good, however, for the price, there are better spa's out there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the gardens and river. Probably, the higher up, the better the views...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went here with my partner for a one night getaway from London. It was super close to Heathrow (about 30 minutes) so very convenient for me to get on my flight for work on Monday morning! We had the Medleycott room, which had a beautiful view and a super comfy bed. The grounds were gorgeous and we spent most of the afternoon walking through them.

The only thing I can suggest is that if you are making any requests with the concierge double and triple check them. My partner's mother wanted to buy us a bottle of champagne for our room and she had to call several times to request before we actually received it (at one point he told her he had no record of us checking in).

Overall a very nice place for a getaway :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!