“Gorgeous!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

Save Saved
You added Danesfield House Hotel And Spa to your Saves list
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Henley Road, Marlow-on-Thames, Medmenham SL7 2EY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Medmenham
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
“Gorgeous!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went here with my partner for a one night getaway from London. It was super close to Heathrow (about 30 minutes) so very convenient for me to get on my flight for work on Monday morning! We had the Medleycott room, which had a beautiful view and a super comfy bed. The grounds were gorgeous and we spent most of the afternoon walking through them.

The only thing I can suggest is that if you are making any requests with the concierge double and triple check them. My partner's mother wanted to buy us a bottle of champagne for our room and she had to call several times to request before we actually received it (at one point he told her he had no record of us checking in).

Overall a very nice place for a getaway :)

580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
West Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were at Danesfield for my niece's wedding. It was a superb wedding breakfast and it made a wonderful wedding venue helped by the beautiful weather, I would certainly recommend it for a wedding venue but my thoughts about staying there echo those of another recent reviewer (at a different wedding.)
Reception rooms and the gardens are magnificent.
Service varied according to the member of staff. Some were excellent, some indifferent. The rooms given to family members varied, too. Ours was nicer than some but had silly little problems, the hairdryer didn't work and there were no notices telling us that fresh milk was available on request, as there were in some other rooms. Carpets were worn in places. Some rooms had a full range of toiletries available, others didn't. Our daughter and son-in-law's room overlooked a weed ridden courtyard.
Given that the wedding started at 3pm it was difficult that some rooms were only available at that time, meaning that guests who had been allocated those rooms, including my 86 year old mother, had to find somewhere else to get ready.
The range of food available at breakfast was excellent, if you got there early enough. Late arrivals faced empty bowls where the fruit used to be. As more guests joined our table extra tea and coffee were not provided, we had to go and find the staff to request additional tea and milk.
Worst of all we were only told when we arrived at the spa that children are only allowed access between 2pm and 5pm - but we had to check out at noon. I completely understand this policy, and actually have a lot of sympathy with it, but shouldn't that be explained to families when they book and/or check in?
None of this would really have mattered except that room and bar prices were steep. For the money I'd expect the little details to be right.

Room Tip: The best rooms would overlook the river but are probably more expensive. Our room over looking the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gateshead
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights to attend a wedding nearby. The setting, gardens and views are amazing and the building itself very impressive. Breakfast was very good generally but not as well stocked on the second day. We chose not to eat dinner there as the menu seemed overpriced and over-fussy,Our main observations were that the majority of the staff were quite stand-offish and service was perfunctory. The room was a little jaded and dusty in places- lots of moths! The shower control required a degree in physics and a lot of patience to master, but the bed afforded us a lovely night's sleep. We were in an attic room overlooking the wonderful gardens which meant it was very peaceful, however the stair carpet up the winding stairs was worn and a potential hazard. Another tip- don't request a newspaper or you will be charged- more that cover cost, and there are multiple complimentary ones at breakfast. For the price, we felt it was a bit of a let down.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was lucky enough to stay in this stunning historical house and can honestly say I have never been made to feel so welcome and spoilt in my life!

Firstly you have to sit out on the terrace where John or one of the other lovely staff will bring you a coffee or a cocktail (or two!). It overlooks the most breathtaking topiary garden with the delicious smell of french lavender in the air. You feel like you've just stepped into a Jane Austen novel, sadly without Mr Darcy but there is plenty to do there to keep you amused. Explore the gardens, there are so many beautifully manicured with fantastic views over the Thames or a hidden nook with the statues to peacefully read your book.

As a vegetarian, I'm used to really boring unimaginative food, whilst I watch my friends enjoying fantastic dishes, Danesfield House goes to the top of my list for variety and the individual. Firstly I tried The Orangery and thoroughly enjoyed the choices, however as I was staying for some time I wondered if I would get bored of eating the same things. I needn't have worried, unprompted the staff told me that the chef had offered to cook whatever I liked and if I fancied something specific to give them a days notice and he would cook it. Where else do you get that level of service? I was speechless and delighted that Danesfield had lived up to it's ratings. On the final night I decided to try Adam Simmonds restaurant, and although he did not offer a vegetarian option I was more than confident that he would come up with something delicious. The food was the most imaginative, visually stunning and delicious meal that I had eaten in a very long time. Adam himself came out to ask me for my comments and I'm pleased to see that he now offers a vegetarian option. Meat eaters definately give it a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised! The breakfast menu is vast and caters for the fussiest guest, I thoroughly recommend the amazing granola that their chef makes himself (I know because I loved it so much I wanted to buy some!) all serviced on pristine white linen and silverware.

On to the rooms..what can I say? There is the older part of the building and the newer part which at the time was about to be refurbished. I stayed in both and neither disappointed. My favourite was the older part where my room had stunning views across the Thames and the most beautiful original handmade blue tiles in the bathroom. The rooms were immaculate and cleaned to a very high standard with all the extra little touches that make you feel special.

I was staying there on my own and was worried that I may feel a bit uncomfortable amongst the lovebird couples and wedding guests. However the staff were very friendly and professional, from the knowledgable staff on the doors in reception to the fabulous bar manager who is an expert on any type of drink (you can test him) and makes the best cocktails outside london.

Would I recommend you spend your time and money on coming here for a special occasion or weekend away? Without a doubt. Some of the guests I met live only a short distance from Danesfield yet regularly comeback for a break as they love it so much, that says it all.

Room Tip: If there is a wedding ask to be put in a room which isnt over the reception rooms if you want an ear...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just returned from a two night business stay at Danesfield House. What a fabulous hotel. The staff were excellent and the food wonderful. We ate in a private dining room as there was 13 of us. The food was excellent and service very professional and discreet. The breakfast in the Orangery was great and again staff very good. A good selection from the buffet and the hot food of a very high standard. Rooms are kept clean and well stocked. A shame that when we stayed the weather was very bad so we couldn't take in the beautiful gardens. Would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at Danesfield for two nights after our Wedding day before flying to our honeymoon. We have stayed here twice before and always found the service and atmosphere fantastic so thought it would be the perfect place to relax and recharge. It didn't disappoint and we had a lovely time. When we arrived we were taken to a beautiful room over looking the gardens and Thames. There was a lovely welcome card congratulating us on our wedding and a chocolate cake.

We ate at the hotel throughout our stay and all meals were delicious with excellent service.

We also used the spa and on the Sunday my husband lost his wedding ring in the pool! The staff could not have been more helpful and even asked a regular member to look for the ring as he always wore goggles. Sure enough it was found and we were very grateful to all. If you are looking for a peaceful getaway for a special occasion, then Danesfield is perfect. Cant wait to visit again soon!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Having stayed at the hotel twice before for business, I knew it would be ideal for our wedding anniversary and duly booked us in for the Danesfield Experience. This included a two night stay for the two of us , meal in the Orangery, meal in the Adam Simmonds restaurant , spa treatments for both us and full continental breakfast. No full English but to be fair the continental was perfectly fine for us. We also managed to get an Executive room with balcony access overlooking the gardens and River Thames. Lovely room - no problems with it whatsoever, stunning views - helped by two days of unbroken sunshine. Service at all times was beyond reproach. Even got a cake in our room for our anniversary - and very nice it was too. Food in the Orangery was excellent, only eclipsed by that in the Adam Simmonds Restaurant which was the best meal we've ever had.
There was a problem with a lost booking for our Spa treatments on our anniversary day , we had planned to get a relaxing spa and to follow it with the Adam Simmonds meal when we would be suitably chilled out. This didn't happen because they couldn't fit us in on the original day as the booking had got lost - totally spoilt the plan for our evening as I had planned. Next spa treatment wasn't until the next day when we were due to go back. Very upset at this - my wife was close to tears and the occasion I had planned for months looked ruined. However the Spa staff spoke to Peter the Duty Manager, who came to see us . To cut a long story short both he and the team at the hotel couldn't be more apologetic and more importantly helpful - we were offered a complimentary extra night (which we could take as we had the entire week off on leave) and the spa treatments and Adam Simmonds meal were put back 24 hours. I'd rather not have had the initial upset , but everybody makes mistakes and its how they recover from them that's telling. Their recovery was exceptional and only shows the top class customer experience that this hotel and staff offer. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa treatments and as said before the meal in the Adam Simmonds restaurant was excellent. The A la Carte menu was withdrawn on the day we were due to eat , and we were a little worried about some of the tasting menu options. No need - Adam knew best and even swapped one the dishes that my wife just didn't fancy with another one more to her taste. All in all service and food in the Restaurant were top class.
Gardens were lovely , especially where the pond is . Lovely views over the Thames. Enhanced by solid sunshine I know but still lovely.
A long review I know - all that's matters is that we would stay there again in a heartbeat and if anything the spa mistake worked to our advantage and also ultimately showed the hotel staff at their best. Couldn't recommend this place more and we can't personally relate to any of the less than complimentary reviews.
Not the cheapest place to stay but you get what you pay for and for a special occasion - perfect.
We both go to National Trust properties a lot and this is the only time we were staying in a grander house than the ones we visited.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive Rooms and pray for good weather
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!