“Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

You added Danesfield House Hotel And Spa to your Saves list
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Henley Road, Marlow-on-Thames, Medmenham SL7 2EY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Having stayed at the hotel twice before for business, I knew it would be ideal for our wedding anniversary and duly booked us in for the Danesfield Experience. This included a two night stay for the two of us , meal in the Orangery, meal in the Adam Simmonds restaurant , spa treatments for both us and full continental breakfast. No full English but to be fair the continental was perfectly fine for us. We also managed to get an Executive room with balcony access overlooking the gardens and River Thames. Lovely room - no problems with it whatsoever, stunning views - helped by two days of unbroken sunshine. Service at all times was beyond reproach. Even got a cake in our room for our anniversary - and very nice it was too. Food in the Orangery was excellent, only eclipsed by that in the Adam Simmonds Restaurant which was the best meal we've ever had.
There was a problem with a lost booking for our Spa treatments on our anniversary day , we had planned to get a relaxing spa and to follow it with the Adam Simmonds meal when we would be suitably chilled out. This didn't happen because they couldn't fit us in on the original day as the booking had got lost - totally spoilt the plan for our evening as I had planned. Next spa treatment wasn't until the next day when we were due to go back. Very upset at this - my wife was close to tears and the occasion I had planned for months looked ruined. However the Spa staff spoke to Peter the Duty Manager, who came to see us . To cut a long story short both he and the team at the hotel couldn't be more apologetic and more importantly helpful - we were offered a complimentary extra night (which we could take as we had the entire week off on leave) and the spa treatments and Adam Simmonds meal were put back 24 hours. I'd rather not have had the initial upset , but everybody makes mistakes and its how they recover from them that's telling. Their recovery was exceptional and only shows the top class customer experience that this hotel and staff offer. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa treatments and as said before the meal in the Adam Simmonds restaurant was excellent. The A la Carte menu was withdrawn on the day we were due to eat , and we were a little worried about some of the tasting menu options. No need - Adam knew best and even swapped one the dishes that my wife just didn't fancy with another one more to her taste. All in all service and food in the Restaurant were top class.
Gardens were lovely , especially where the pond is . Lovely views over the Thames. Enhanced by solid sunshine I know but still lovely.
A long review I know - all that's matters is that we would stay there again in a heartbeat and if anything the spa mistake worked to our advantage and also ultimately showed the hotel staff at their best. Couldn't recommend this place more and we can't personally relate to any of the less than complimentary reviews.
Not the cheapest place to stay but you get what you pay for and for a special occasion - perfect.
We both go to National Trust properties a lot and this is the only time we were staying in a grander house than the ones we visited.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive Rooms and pray for good weather
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

It may seem that I'm somewhat easy to please but going to locations such as Danesfield House really does make review writing pleasurable.

From cresting the hill and gaining the first glimpse of the house, to looking out of our room window at the beautifully kept gardens with the River Thames as a backdrop, the hotel really is a poster child for manor house hotels in this country.

We were given a complimentary room upgrade which meant our room overlooked the gardens and river, and the room was spacious and well kept.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, from dealing with us turning up three hours early for check-in to arranging a car to take us to our afternoon's engagement. I really can't praise them highly enough, and the large chain hotels could/should learn from them (cf. our experience at the London Waldorf Aldwych).

One word of caution - the hotel is an old manor house with all the positives and negatives that brings. Expect to hear a little noise within your room from people walking around the hotel corridors.

We stayed on a dinner, bed & breakfast rate and dinner in the Orangery was excellent - I've reviewed this in depth separately. My only complaint would be that the prices both in the restaurant and bar were, even by luxury hotel standards, rather expensive. £12.50 for a 175ml glass of Chablis, for example. Then again, one doesn't expect Travelodge & Toby Carvery prices.

Breakfast was again served in the Orangery, which offers a view across the grounds and river. My wife had a continental breakfast; I indulged in a most satisfying Full English. Quality and quantity were both exactly as one would expect from such a hotel.

We will be returning as sometimes it's not about the price but the experience. Danesfield House definitely can count itself as, for us, one of those times.

Room Tip: Executive rooms overlook the beautiful gardens and river, but the one we were in (310) is also on a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a dreadful snafu with a reservation at Cliveden--no fault of the hotel's. The people at Cliveden drove me to the nearest property with the same standard of excellence, Danesfield House. We were welcomed and provided an opulent three-story suite. My memories of this trip are glorious--the grounds of Danesfield House, the dining, the service, and the rooms. Outside on the grand patio, overlooking the vast, verdant grounds, I felt as if I were in a Jane Austin novel. I hope one day to return.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I went to this hotel around a year ago now but I wanted to write a review because I look back at this place with fond memories and would recommend it to others. I think Danesfield House is one of the nicest manor houses you will come across in the price bracket that it is in. If you want something extremely luxurious in England, it costs a lot of money. Our room was nice enough and we only paid for a basic room. The pool area was relaxing and clean and the grounds of the hotel are wonderful - take a pair of walking shoes with you and have a walk around. It is very pretty. For us it was even bad weather but we didn't let it stop us - the hotel lent us a brolly. There are two restaurants here for eating dinner. We went to the Michelin Starred Adam Simmonds restaurant the first night - that was very, very good in my opinion. The food was lovely and the service discreet. Perhaps it is a little quiet in there but definitely worth a visit. We should have gone to this restaurant on our second night though as, even though the other restaurant is nice enough, it doesn't compare to a top restaurant. You are required to book both of these restaurants in advance. There was a wedding on when we were there and there was a bit of noise and liveliness in the hotel. It doesn't bother us but I can imagine some people would be bothered so please bear this in mind. The breakfast in the hotel is good enough but if you want a cooked breakfast you have to pay extra. I don't mind paying extra but I just think these things should be included in the price - I just think that's classier rather than faffing around with bills. The cooked breakfast was delicious though. I know I went here one year ago and perhaps this review is not helpful but hopefully the place hasn't changed or has in fact improved since then! I would revisit here next time I feel like a weekend away and would recommend it if you want somewhere nice without spending too much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wargrave, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

stay here occasionaly for business and it offers a relaxing feel after a busy day. however, the car parking situation is less than ideal, its not the most cost effective place and there definately would be access issues for disabled customers! This said, its a beautiful place and the food is good, I love the leisure facilities( pool is lovely) although again, the steam room wasnt working on this occasion

Room Tip: whilst the room i had was beautiful with a 4 poster and lovely views- not great if you had any mobi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed there because it was fairly close to Heathrow airport and we like charming older properties better than cookie-cutter,modern airport hotels. We've stayed at Cliveden House for the same reasons but this hotel is more affordable. The room was spacious and quite elegant, but there were slight signs of wear and tear. The bed and linens were excellent and the room overlooked the formal rear gardens and the Thames river.
Breakfast is included for hotel guests .You can choose from room service or the breakfast dining room, which is what we did. They served breakfast until 10:15am and we made it there just before 10:00am.Breakfast was good, although the coffee was quite watery, consistent with my experiences throughout most of England. I miss my Starbucks freshly ground French Roast beans when I travel. I think that when in England, I'll stick to drinking tea.
We both had mini-facials at their excellent spa, which was quite busy with non-hotel guests.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. It was lovely. The staff are incredible. Nothing is too much trouble. THey get the balance between being attentive and annoying absolutely spot on. The build and grounds are stunning. There are some amazing views over the valley and a lovely little fish pond. Lots of little hidden places to sit and relax both inside and out.

The food in the restaurant was amazing. One of the best glasses of Malbec i've ever had and the steak absolutley melted in my mouth.

It is a little expensive but you certainly get what you pay for here. We'll definitely be coming back again even if we do have to save up for it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!