“dark and over-priced” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
WALLED LAKE
“dark and over-priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The last time I visited this location it was called Zinc. I thought it was way too dark & noisy. But having fond memories of the Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak and being in the mood for a burger, I met a friend there for lunch. The lighting was so poor that my friend had to walk over to the window in order to read the menu. The server was very friendly and efficient. However that couldn't make up for the overpriced menu items. That simple burger, served with lettuce, tomato, "special" sauce (which is quite tasty) and a pickle is $7.25. If you choose the healthier Piedmontese burger there is a $2 upcharge. $7 for a burger and a pickle??? We would have had to pay an additional $3 for an order of fries. Our bill for 2 burgers & 2 soft drinks including tip & tax was $18. That's absurd & unless I'm eating Kobe beef, totally not worth it. I see no reason to return & no reason to recommend this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Southfield, Michigan
“Great Burger Unfriendly Server”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The server came to the table and asked if we needed a few minutes to order. No "Hi my name is...." or "Welcome to Red Coat Tavern". No greeting at all. He did not ask about drinks. When he came back to take our order he asked about drinks and took our food order. During the meal he sometimes came to the table refilled drinks and never said a word. One of the oddest experiences I have had with a server. It really diminishes the whole dining experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Franklin, Michigan, United States
“Hamburger Heavan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Tons of good food but the Hamburger is unique and you can add anything you can think of to it. Small bar and kind of dark but friendly people and staff make it a pleasure.

Visited October 2012
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Good food & service but needs maintenance.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great meal at a reasonable price and our server was attentive. However he recommended we get the burgers cut in half because they are so big it would make them easier to eat. We thanked him and asked him to do so. The arrived uncut. Not a big deal but it was his suggestion!
The tables are worn and the finish is peeling off. The restrooms were filthy, the worst I've seen in years. I didn't want to touch anything and they looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in days.
The room was dark but unlike other reviewers I actually liked the dim lighting.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Dirty Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went to Redcoat Tavern on Saturday night 8/18 and found the establishment to be very dirty....especially the restrooms.
In my humble opinion... the restrooms of a restaurant say alot about the priority the management places on cleanliness.
I, for one, like to feel that the places I choose to eat and clean and abide by health and cleanliness standards.
In addition the restaurant is very dark and some of the tables are placed haphazardly behind a large structure is in the middle of the dining room.
I will say the server we had was very good.

• Visited August 2012