“Great Burger” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Great Burger”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The over-size hamburger is the same juicy burger that has been served for years at their Royal Oak location. I like mine with burnt onions and zip sauce but you can choose from a long list of condiments. The burger is the best in the area but I rate the restaurant only average because of the noise level and service that is inconsistent at best.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

65% Recommend
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Some say this is the best burger in town...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I prefer Matt Brady's. Redcoat is very dark - I like to see my food - and loud - more of a meat market after theater than a quiet plea to have a bite to eat and talk about the show.

Visited September 2011
Rochester, Michigan
“Hamburger Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I've been to the Red Coat Taven in Royal Oak before, but this is the first time I've been to this location. I've seen some comments written by other reviewers stating that the atmosphere is "dark," but hey, isn't that the point of it being a "tavern?" I do not eat red meat very often, but once in awhile, I break down and have to have a burger. If I am going to give in, I am definitely going to make sure I go to a place where I know I am going to have a shot at getting a really good one. I am happy to say, I was not disappointed. I ordered the burger they way they recommend it, but if that doesn't appeal to you, you can choose from a long list of numerous toppings. My burger was cooked exactly the way I wanted it and it was definitely large enough to satisfy anyone's appetite. Our server was attentive and my coffee cup was never empty, which was a big plus in my book!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Best Burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Zip sauce on a burger - are you kidding me. Unbelievable. This is the 2nd location (1st is in Royal Oak on Woodward) and the atmosphere is totally differnt but the food is very similar.

Visited March 2012
Michgian
“Service Ridiculously Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We were seated last night, opted for inside as it was cooling down, but primarily because a woman was smoking outside right next to the dining area. When I complained to the hostess, her comment, "Well, she's not supposed to be out there, but she not in the dining section, just next to it. Get over yourself, we finally got our "no smoking" policy enforced - two years ago!!!

It took ten minutes to get water and 20 minutes to even see our server. She wanted the drink orders and the food orders all at once. The burgers weren't cooked to order and she wasn't pleasant not apologetic about the wait time or the service. It was so loud that you could barely hear one another and there were only four of us at the table.

We had to signal our server several times in order to get the check, then the take our money. Our food was great burger wise (Piedmontese burgers, the best and healthiest) but we won't go back to this location. This is our third visit and the noise is ridiculous and the service the worst.

The owners should take a look at these reviews and change things up. Love the Woodward location, but there's always such a wait.

• Visited March 2012