“What a rip-off!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8258 Arnt Blvd, 140 and I-94; exit 41, Watervliet, MI 49098 (Formerly Holiday Inn Watervliet)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Watervliet
Leek, United Kingdom
“What a rip-off!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were advised that this was a luxury hotel with swimming pools, hot tubs etc. The price was high but we considered it worth it. However once we had checked in we were told the water facilities were only available at week-ends - the excuse was that there were no life guards on duty - were lifeguards necessary for a hot tub???
The room was unfinished - sticky label with number on the door, no coffee making facility - a long walk to find provided coffee which was almost cold by the time we returned to the room with it; a fridge which did not work but made a loud buzzing noise. Two polystyrene beakers were the only receptacles provided. Ice machine on next floor up but nothing provided to collect ice. Breakfast was abysmal - polystyrene tableware was totally unsuitable for microwaving the measured oatmeal which spilled over all over the microwave. All was disposable plastic and the choice of breakfast foods minimal. Staff were hard to find and not helpful when we did find them.

Room Tip: I am unaware of any "good" rooms here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Winamac, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here over the weekend, and it was decent for the kids for just one night. It's not a very big waterpark, and kids over about 12 probably won't like it much, but the little kids enjoyed it. However, the kiddie section wasn't heated, and the water was flat out freezing. There also wasn't a very big breakfast. Other than those things, the room was clean, and the staff was very nice. We'll take the kids here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Recently, my family decided to take a weekend vacation before the looming start of school. Last year we went to another water park located in Indiana. There really is no comparison. While the water park does not offer an overabundance of areas to play, there is enough to do to make it a great stop. The two slides are fun enough to do over and over but not so intimidating that only the brave can master them. We had hours of fun. The water was warm, the air was warm but not suffocating.

The biggest difference which put this waterpark above any other within 200 miles was the customer service and safety. The staff was on top of safety, blowing whistles when needed. All were very friendly, including the manager with whom I spoke to personally. The staff and manager volunteered to take family photos. I could tell the staff actually enjoyed their work, laughing with the guests while maintaining a safe environment. It was a pleasure.

We had a play and stay package where we stayed in the hotel. While the hotel was clean it lacked the amenities that are common in most hotels like coffee, fridge, microwave, and extra outlets. The TV was also humorously small. Another slightly down side is the hours the water park is open. While I know there are logistics at work I would not understand unless I was an employee, I found it odd that the Saturday morning session did not include most of the water park area, including the slides.

Overall, it is definitely worth going to and I plan to head there at least a few times a year. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty standard. They were extremely busy that weekend. Bring a couple extra...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint Joseph, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The property is currently under construction to become a part of the Marriott Fairfield Inn family so expect some noise and inconveniences. There are some obvious signs that the final product will be worthy of a Marriott name. Until then...
The rooms were mostly clean with some small repair work needed, especially in the bathroom. The most obvious sign of weakness were the towels, which were threadbare with tears and strings. The shower curtain had mildew. The bedroom was well appointed but with some obvious stains on the pull-out couch cushions. We had to leave the couch assembled as the springs and lumps made the internal mattress too uncomfortable for even a 6yr old.
Outside the room there was only one working elevator and it was very small and slow. The restaurant inside is currently closed so you need to bring in food or go out to eat...not exactly convenient for a water park but at least a couple of pizza places deliver and a Subway is across the street. Even with the restaurant closed you are not able to bring your own food into the upstairs party areas with plenty of tables and chairs. Construction everywhere but at least you can see some of how the final product will look.
The continental breakfast was honestly the worst I have had in my considerable travels. There were large bowls where they emptied packages of powdered doughnuts and mini-muffins. Coffee was from a processing machine and they were out of milk - there was a pitcher of OJ. A microwave was available to warm up water and a bowl of packaged instant oatmeal. Otherwise poptarts with the flavor written on them with a permanent marker awaited you. The lack of any real food and poor conditions did not appear to just be because they were under construction either.
The water park temperature was great and the water temperature was just right for our family. It is a rather small park but it has all the basics packed well into the space. The lazy river is actually quite fast but our son really loved the ride. Kids area had plenty of fun activities and the pool was a good place to just relax for a while. However, I feel there are some serious safety concerns that a water park built for families just cannot overlook. First the lifeguards were allowed to wear common swimsuits and one even had on oversized shorts sagging down enough to show boxer shorts. Lifeguards should be obvious so that they can be found in an emergency and not blend into the crowd as these did. Also, there is a door to the outside right next to the small children's activity area. People were in and out of the double doors frequently and they obviously were not locked from the outside. We were all careful to keep a watchful eye on our children so that they did not go near the door...or the strangers utilizing it. Our friends menioned that the door lets in so much cold air in the winter from people using it that it becomes nearly impossible to keep it warm. Otherwise the water park area really could have been a little cleaner. They did not have towels as suggested by the signs in the guest rooms which ask you leave the bathroom towels in the room. Luckily we brought some beach towels just in case.

Bottom line - The place has a lot of potential for sure and hopefully the new Marriott name will bring about some much needed changes.

Room Tip: The water park is at the East end of the hotel so advise picking a room in the West half.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Watervliet hotels

Chicago Ridge, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was expecting the average old looking hotel room but when I got here it was the opposite. They are still doing construction but it is already looking to be a GREAT LOOKING hotel. The room furniture does need an upgrade, no pens or notepads in the room, but at least there is plenty of towels and nice new sheets on the bed.
Plenty of space in the room and the waterpark is a nice addition.
I PLAN TO COME BACK NEXT YEAR to see how all the beautiful plans came out

Room Tip: The higher you go the better! Less traffic to the water pool!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Noisy, sounded like a fort was being built above us. False advertising..We paid extra to upgrade to a King Queen suite. The beds were Queen and Full. Sheets did not fit, and came off as soon as we sat down. Power went off, just another nuisance. Smokers congregated right outside of our room, and the A/C pulled in the clouds of smoke. Floors were very dirty, kids feet were black after walking around the room for an hour...Made them wear socks after that. I did not go down to the waterpark, but my wife took the boys and said it was ok. She slipped and fell on the slippery floor and scraped her knee and ankle up pretty bad. Hotel is about 20 minutes from Lake Michigan, I do recommend taking time to go to Shops in South Haven and the beach there is wonderful. Hotel needs to clean the floors, get sheets that fit, and stop advertising bed sizes that are not true. Oh, and ask smokers not to congregate outside of level one rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sodus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I'm a local patron and wanted to get away for a night with my daughters. I reserved the room in March online for end of May stay. That experience itself was frustrating as it kept taking me back to a certain screen and wouldn't let me know if I had actually reserved the room. I received a confirmation number that as I tried to pull the reservation back up, it told me the number was invalid. I can get past a horrible website.
Checking in on the day of our arrival, I'm met by two teenage kids at the desk. One shows me a crumpled piece of paper that states that the hotel will not only charge me for the room and tax, they will also put a 10% hold on my credit card that will fall off in 10-14 days. The clerk tells me this is bank policy and not hotel policy. I'm extremely familiar with my bank's policy and I smell BS from a mile away. This is an awful way of doing business and it is the hotel's policy. The manager stood behind the two kids at the desk as I asked about this "policy." As I walked away I heard her say "What happened?"
Quick rundown of the room: the sheets didn't fit the bed. The phone didn't work. There was no alarm clock. There were 2 pillows on one bed and 3 on the other. There were 3 towels and one smelled musty. I asked for extra pillows and towels at the desk and the boy said "I don't know where they are, but if I find them I can put them in your room." When I asked for the extra items, 3 of the lifeguards and the desk employees were socializing.
Waterpark rundown: Dirty water and unsafe conditions. The stairs up to the slide are awful. I counted 53 stairs (I believe.) Can you imagine being a small child carrying a large tube up all those stairs. I see a safety hazard there. The female lifeguard behind the desk had plenty of attention from the 3 male lifeguards. The kids swimming had none.
Breakfast in the morning: Don't bother. This was disgusting. The bread had mold on some of it. The coffee was disgusting and the garbage can had a lid that you had to touch to put anything into it.
This hotel is in the middle of transitioning to a Fairfield Inn from a Ramada. I emailed Fairfield Inn and received an email from someone stating that it won't be a Fairfield Inn until October 2012. I'm sorry, but the front of the building says "Fairfield Inn" and the credit card statement states Fairfield. Who else would I think owned this hotel? I was given an email for the manager of Safari Joe's and when sending that I received an email back stating that her email had changed.
I understand transition and I understand having to hire young kids. I can put up with a lot, but this hotel will be closed within 2 years, guaranteed. The incompetency shows through and through and through.
I won't return to this hotel. I won't recommend this hotel to anyone. I asked for my money back and if I'm offered a coupon, I will not take it. Even though me and my children are up to date on all of our immunizations, I would not risk staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph? Share your experiences!