“Afraid to walk on the carpet barefooted!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn & Suites

You added Rodeway Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32035 Van Dyke, Warren, MI 48093 (Formerly Quality Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Warren
Paola, KS
“Afraid to walk on the carpet barefooted!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

You know the old saying "You get what you pay for" is true. At one time this hotel was probably nice, but not now! There was garbage piled all over outside in the parking lot. Cigarette butts were scattered all over the ground. The carpets were filthy, and the overall cleanliness of the room wasn't much better. We found a pair of dirty socks that didn't belong to us. It was noisy; the elevator didn't work most of one day. Our room smelled like dill pickles. The stairwell smelled like pot, and some of the guests were of a questionable nature. A woman downstairs was shouting some kind of religious incantations like she was doing an exorcism or something, and nobody ever came to clean the room while we were there. If we hadn't arrived so late, we would have gone someplace else. We never saw the breakfast or pool area because we were afraid to.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Midland, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife during the week.
Any guest should lower their expectation prior to entering the building as you can see from outside, they're running down.

I had really low rates for my room so I am not complaining but rather try to point some of the weak areas of the motel. As a frequent traveler, I honestly think they are comparable to motel 6 meaning they have most basic in-room amenities; however, they offer breakfast in the morning as well as fitness center. Sausage good! Swimming pool runs seasonally.

In the room, king bed was great, felt like new. Door #2 didn't require a key to enter, but since it was closed it may appear to public that they need key access. Safety alright.

Room was very quiet. Staff not as friendly but probably due to culture.

Overall, with the rate I paid, it was acceptable.

• Stayed April 2013
Birch Run, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here for a place to sleep during a volleyball tournament. HUGE party on the 3rd floor. Music so loud the entire building was shaking until 4:30am!!! Entire building smelled like pot. First and hopefully last time my daughter "gets" to see hookers. It was aweful. Can not believe that they allow this to go on in their hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a large hotel close to General Motors Tech Center in Warren, MI on a major thoroughfare. At one point this was probably a wonderful spot ... back 30 years ago ... the room I was in showed signs of former glory however time has taken a toll and maintenance looks woefully behind. The rate was $50.00 night and they did have a breakfast served between 6-9. Lonely kind of place for truck drivers, salesmen, some longer term folks & transients ... if you need a newer room and a breakfast there are lots of places nicer nearby. They may be a bit higher for rate however if your looking for something newer than definitely go somewhere else. If all you care about is the bed and rest ... and the possibility you might run into someone who doesn't belong in the hotel then that's your call.. It is a big place and I think they try to keep one section of the house working at a time. Light on amenities in the room ... older TV ... to me they should lower the rate because at $50 ... it's just is waiting to get torn down for a Wal Mart. Staff there went from unenthused to nice ... middle eastern mainly on staff that I saw ... breakfast was simple but uneventful w/scrambled eggs, sausage, breads & waffle options but closes @ 9 on the dot. Lady was breaking it down at 9:00 A.M. This place would need a ton of money to bring it back to former glory and doubtful that is going to happen. I asked for GM discount and they looked at me like I was from outer space. Quarter mile away from GM Tech Center and no link with this hotel should tell you that GM is sending their people elsewhere. Lastly, very concerned that the Entrance door 2 was blocked open the entire 12 hours I was there ... anyone could come in from the street to the interior of the hotel and this place is not in a garden spot location ... security is non-existent if you are a lady or with children ... good spot for CCW.

Room Tip: I was on South Side by Entrance 2 ... slept well because the loud HVAC unit was droning away constan...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Poughkeepsie, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!! The first room they gave my fiance and I was disgusting. We requested to be switched to another room which they did without any questions. A half hour after being switched into the new room the hotel phone rang. When I answered it the person on the other end introduced them selves as the assistant manager. He apologized for the inconvenience and then told us he had more bad news. He then proceeded to tell me that their systems had crashed and they lost all the information for their guests. He said some of the key cards for the rooms had been affected and asked to check them. We did and it still worked. He then needed all of our information again, (which being he sounded so legit I gave him). He then told me because of the inconvenience they were refunding us 25% of the room bill. Two hours later we were getting ready for bed and I noticed the pillow cases had stains all over them, I call the front desk and asked to speak with the assistant manager that had called me. The person working the front desk informed me there was no assistant manager and when I told her what happened she informed me that this was a scam that was going on. TWO HOURS went by and they knew about this because another guest had complained and they did not warn any of the guests in the hotel. I called my bank and put a block on my credit card and then checked my bank account and my money had been drained from my bank account. EVERYTHING was drained tot he point where my bank account was negative $400 dollars. Like I said DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. The staff is not nice they are miserable people and they do not care about your stay at the hotel. (The only reason we stayed here in Warren was because our connecting flight home to NY was cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy, which left us stranded in this dump for two days) The pictures they show are not what the rooms actually look like. They are disgusting and you feel nasty when you leave. Especially when you turn the bath tub and the water comes out a dark yellow..... SO DISGUSTING! Luckily I was able to get my money back with help from my bank and with filing a police report. Please don't let what happened to me happen to you!!!

Room Tip: Not staying here is your best option!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

There is nothing good about this property except for the fact that it's quiet. The hallways smell, the elevators are rickety, the hallway carperts are flooded (3rd floor), the rooms only have one plug and it's not at the desk, the Wifi mostly does not work, the front desk is indifferent and the breakfast quality is just plain scary. In addition, local homeless sit at Door 2 of the property to wait until you go on and follow you to use the facilities. The property also keeps its side doors open during the day, adding to the security threat.

This property is nothing short of horrible. My suggestion is to stay "anywhere" else.

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is one of the first "not good" reviews we've ever done, but frankly this place was just too much of a disaster to NOT review it. We wouldn't want anyone else to put up with it. First, this was the hotel chosen by the wedding couple to promote to the many out of town guests. The "special" rate was more than the rate we could get just booking online (albeit with our loyalty card, etc.)

Then we we tried to book a 2nd room by phone a couple of days before arrival, it was CHEAPER. And we specifically asked for rooms either adjacent or immediately across. Arrival and check in identified the rooms down the hall from each other. Then there was the OVERPOWERING smell of smoke as we made our way onto the 2nd floor of what is supposed to be a SMOKE FREE hotel.

Aside from 1 lamp not working in the room and the coffee pot still filled with stale and previous occupiers coffee, the room itself wasn't too bad. Could always use more places to put your bags (aside from the bed).

What made it really go from bad to worse (since any hotel can have a few problems) is the attitude of the staff. On ALL occasion (apart from checkout - 19th Aug) the staff were unhelpful, disinterested, and borderline rude (guess we don't have to tell you their attitude was less then desirable!)

Breakfast was on first glance, OK. However, butter was presented not in the usual individually wrapped "pat", but between two sheets of paper, so guests would typically end up with butter on their fingers and other guest with butter that had had fingers in it!

Long wait for replenishment of food, so even close family members couldn't eat together. General lack of cleanliness of the breakfast room meant that unless it was cooked or we toasted ourselves, we did not eat it. (So went the cereal, bread and Danish!)

One of the two rooms did not get cleaned and serviced, even AFTER we told reception that this was the case.

We stuck it out two nights because we had 4 people, two of which were elderly and it was inconvenient to drag them to a new hotel. But many of the other family members who had booked as part of the wedding special, never checked in, or checked in and immediately checked out after seeing the room or not getting the service expected. This included the bride and groom who had the best suite in the hotel!

The ONLY saving grace was the location of the hotel in relation to the wedding venues and the availability of a lounge / sitting area that allowed some wedding guests (total 6 - just too many for in the room) to sit and catch up chatting between the wedding ceremony and the reception some 2 hours.

We've actually left this more than a week so that we didn't let high emotions rule this review. So read it in that context. These are the key points we remember. We're sure that there are things we didn't included or just felt uncomfortable putting in print!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which room you take when the service is so poor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!