“Worn Out” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Worn Out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Tired, older hotel Staybridge. Nice size rooms but in need of an overhaul. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which provided ample space for a family of four. Mattresses need replacing, time for new paint, carpet, bedding, etc. Pets are allowed along with their crap on the sidewalks. Better off looking for a newer hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear joko8 -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor! We value your feedback and want every guest to receive a good value for their travel dollar. I am happy that our two bedroom/two bathroom suite was spacious enough to accommodate your family but sad to hear that you did not enjoy the decor. We have a wonderful space for our pets to be walked. I am very sorry that a guest did not follow our guidelines and the waste was not removed immediately.

In 2013 we will be receiving new bedding for all of the suites. I would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us in the future. Please contact me if I can be of assistance.

Paula Potter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We recently stayed here when visiting the Auto Show this was in a great location with plenty of things to do and eat close by. We had the 2 bedroom suites which gave us lots of room. The breakfast was also good with plenty of options. The staff was also very accommodating to my needs. If ever in Detroit do stop by and stay awhile.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the discounted rate if you prepay. You'll save a bundle
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
MarilynsBoyz -

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. The advance purchase rates are a smart approach to reserving a hotel room at a discounted rate. I will share your positive feedback with our staff.

Staybridge Suites Utica, Michigan
southwest ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were in the area shopping. Our room was a queen one bedroom suite. It was huge. Full kitchen. Even had a dishwasher and garbarator. You could definitely have an extended stay. Our room was right beside the highway so lots of traffic noise. They had free coffee 24 hrs in lobby. Breakfast was the usual free buffet. Cold grainy eggs sausage bacon etc. the outdoor patio area looked nice. Good value for the money.

• Stayed December 2012
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
welove2travel123 -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the opportunity to accommodate you and value your opinion. Your statement that our hotel is "a good value for the money" is a very powerful one. We work hard to provide a comfortable hotel for all of our guests. Unfortunately, when the hotel is at capacity we do have to utilized the 5 highway side suites on each floor.

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs. I would be happy to note your suite location preference on your reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

What a pleasant surprise to actually be happy to return to our hotel suite each evening after a full day of travel and visiting. I originally booked this hotel on booking.com for $159 a night for a king size suite complete with kitchen and sitting area, and free wi-fi. When I needed to add two nights to my reservation I called Staybridge directly. They gave me a rate of $99 a night for the same room! This also included free breakfast ( better than some freebies) and free dinners three nights a week. Ok you might not want to eat hamburgers and bratwurst or salisbury steak, but they do give free dinners which is a first in my experience. The room was big, clean, quiet ( amidst a noisy world of malls), comfy bed and great shower head. I would not hesitate to stay at Staybridge again. What a deal!!

Room Tip: We stayed in #207 which was on the side away from busy M 53. We slept like a log.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
GraftonLaurie -

Thank you for staying with us and posting a review on Trip Advisor. It was so great to hear that you looked forward to coming back to the hotel in the evening to relax and get comfortable. I was also pleased that you enjoyed your spacious suite and the ammenities we offer. Our staff will enjoy reading your review.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family stayed there for one night in a king suite. My wife and I had our own room while the kids slept on the pull out couch in other room. Clean spacious room and a nice kitchenette. Great hot breakfast, enjoyed our stay. Really have no complaints. Great price from Priceline and lots of shopping close by.

• Stayed November 2012
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
astratts -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. i shared your review with our housekeeping department during lunch yesterday. The entire staff was smiling with pride! You kind words are appreciated and valued. Thanks again for taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel.

Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here recently for business. We had booked 2 weeks in advance for 2 nights. After the conference and a little shopping, we arrived at 8 pm to check in, only to find they had given our room away. They upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite as I assume was all they had left, but we had to wait 20 minutes while it was cleaned. The suite was very nice (although a bit dated) and of course way too large for just the 2 of us. We certainly appreciated the way they handled the situation. I guess in their haste to clean the room while we waited, they left the last guests used shampoo and conditioner bottles in the one bathroom and used soap in the other shower. Not the end of the world.....

We did not have the breakfast either morning, so cannot comment but took a quick peek while running down to grab a coffee, and it looked very nice. The eating area just off the lobby is very cozy and relaxing.

The staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating and the price is very reasonable. All in all, the place is very clean. We will stay here again and in fact have already booked another stay for next week as we do frequent business here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Markhamite -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is very important to us. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at check in. I certainly understand that after a full day you were ready to relax and get comfortable in your suite. We have longterm guests that often extend their stay at a moments notice. Thus, we will offer a more expensive and spacious suite to accommodate our guests. It is very important to here your prespective. It is critical that we pay attention to details when hurrying to prepare a suite for check in.

I certainly appreciate you acknowledging our friendly staff and warm atmosphere.

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and in-laws recently stayed here in preparation for the Detroit Marathon. We came to the area a day in advance to do some shopping and so my father-in-law could rest up and prep for his big run. We had booked a downtown Detroit hotel for the night before the marathon, but after a horrible experience at an over-priced upscale hotel, we all wished we had booked the extra night at the Staybridge!

My mother-in-law had booked the hotel through Hotwire and we didn't really know what to expect, but our experience from arrival to departure was fantastic. My mother-in-law checked in and after saying we were there for the marathon, the kind and super friendly desk staff put us in a suite so my father-in-law could relax and we'd have lots of room. There was free wifi in the room, something that we've come to expect at a hotel. Our room was clean and nice. It was nice having the full kitchen, for late night snacks and wine (wine glasses were included in the stocked kitchen). The two double beds did make the sleeping area a little crowded, and the bathroom was right next to the beds (which made the frequent trips of the four of us during the night a bit awkward), but it was nice that the sink was outside the shower/toilet area, so we could all get ready without waiting or stumbling into each other. Even though I had to sleep on the couch in the living area, due to my father-in-law snoring, it was still a good experience. Luckily the couch was fairly comfortable!!

A free, hot breakfast was included with our stay and the food was better than your typical continental breakfast (make-your-own waffles!!!). They even had bags to take food with you if you didn't have time to eat in the lobby. As we were leaving, we had some cold stuff (they had a full fridge in our room which meant we could buy and store food for our travels through Detroit) we needed ice for. The front staff offered not only to fill a bag with ice for us, but provided a large ziploc bag for us! Any question or problem (out of coffee in the morning), was met by apologies, smiles and solutions by the friendly and remarkable staff.

After leaving, we wished that all of the hotels we booked for our trip to Detroit were as good as the Staybridge. The price was right, the staff was amazing, and the room was great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Christy C -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It was nice to meet you and your family at check in. The running conditions were perfect for the marathon. I hope he is planning for the next marathon run in Boston!

The suite that was purchased on line was a studio suite with a queen bed and pull out sofa bed. I was so happy we had a one bedroom suite with two double beds available for upgrade at check in. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the spacious suite and hot breakfast buffet.

The change in the weather has resulted in greater use of our complimentary coffee, tea, and hot cocoa station. Your feedback will help us to be prepared in the future at the Wolf Gang Puck coffee station.

Paula Potter

Been to Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!