“A Confused Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gordon Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Union Pier
Gordon Beach Inn
Save Saved
You added Gordon Beach Inn to your Saves list
16220 Lakeshore Rd, Union Pier, MI 49129   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Union Pier B&B and Inns
“A Confused Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

The Gordon Inn is ideal for those seeking a convenient location and proximity to a very good restaurant. The staff are friendly. My room was sub-par, however, with a tiny bathroom and a thick coating of dust under the bed. The bed itself was comfortable but was oddly sloped and saggy. Strangest of all, the management opted to rent the lobby (adjacent to the guestrooms) to a birthday party, complete with a blues band playing so loudly I could hear every note they were playing right through the walls of my room. At some hotels and inns, $150 barely buys you a bed and a flat screen TV. At The Gordon Beach Inn it buys you live jazz while you're IN bed!

• Stayed August 2012

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Park Ridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

It is really in need of upkeep. Bathroom could use some touching up and we could hear everyone staying there. The walls are paper thin and the bed was very uncomfortable. I will look around for a better place next time. It is not a cheap place money wise just living wise.

Room Tip: No good rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lena, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was our first visit to the sandy beaches in Union Pier. We adore the laid back atmosphere and nearby attractions in New Buffalo. The Gordon Beach Inn was truly relaxing. If you love the sound of wooden floors under your feet and yesterday's charm, you'll love it here, too. Our room was clean, but we found the overall Inn needed maintenance and the grounds begged for attention. There was little attention paid to the exterior of the building. The grand front porch needed dusting and cleaning and the grounds were not manicured. The walk to the beach was pleasant and there were many cottages and homes to see along the way. Gordon Beach is amazing! The sand is brilliant white and it's clean. We love the area but on the next visit we will look for different lodging.

Room Tip: We booked a room that had a deck overlooking the very small back yard. Timothy's Restaurant also...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

I decided to surprise my wife for our anniversary. Thought it would be fabulous. Boy was I wrong. We showed up around 8 after driving for 3 hours. Unloaded our car and went to the room. What a joke. Small, outdated and tacky. Not like any of the three pictures that they show. Then we decide to go downstairs for dinner. We walk up to the reception desk at the restaurant and tell them we would like a table for two. The girl rudely tells us that "to eat HERE you meds a reservation". We just spent nearly $300 in there Inn and we can't even eat there. After carrying our luggage past tables in their lobby. Will never go back and recommend this place only to enemies.

• Stayed July 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

I didn't have the best experience here because the guests in the next room decided to make my friend's night and mine miserable since we were basically the only ones in the Inn, not there for a wedding. BUT, the staff was friendly and concerned. I told them not to worry about it and the Manager still sent me an apology and a discount for if I come back. Besides the guests next door, I had a positive experience with the place and staff.

• Stayed June 2012
Crown Point, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We booked a last minute weekend getaway at Gordon Beach Inn because it was available. The day after we made our reservation is when I came across the reviews on TripAdvisor. I tried to change the reservation to Lakeside Inn (apparently both are owned/managed by the same people), but there wasn't a comparable room with a 2-person Jacuzzi available. So I decided to keep the reservation. After all...how bad could it be, right?

At first, the inn strikes you as being kind of quaint and historic. Then we went to our room, #3. The bed was a frame and mattress...no headboard. The mattress sank in the middle. Bedspread 70's green. No, I really mean it...from the 70's.

The furniture looked like stuff some people put on the curb for the garbage men that other people pick up before they get there. Flea market quality. An occasional painting and deep cleaning (other than once a decade or so) would be a step. A 13" t.v? REALLY?! ANY step would be appreciated.

Yes, it did have Jacuzzi. The faucet was pitted. Home-brought candles and lights turned off hid a lot. It wasn't until the next morning when I looked into the tub and noticed hair that was OBVIOUSLY neither of ours. It literally was all I could do to keep from throwing up.

I think the overall feeling is that the owners just don't care. You shouldn't either. Save your money to go somewhere...hell ANYWHERE else!

Oh BTW, it appeared we were the only people staying there on a Friday night. What does that tell you?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The Gordon Beach Inn is a nice little gem tucked away in the woods just a couple of blocks from the shore of Lake Michigan, where my girlfriend and I were fortunate to take in a gorgeous sunset. It's far from luxurious, and yet our room (3) had a jacuzzi & king size bed plus a small refrigerator and sink. Stepping into the Inn is like stepping into the 1920s. There seems to be an artistic sensibility at work, yet everything is comfortably rustic. It's not without a few small problems. The dining room and most of the lobby has been taken over by a restaurant, so really, there's no common area where you can interact with other guests. A light bulb was burned out over the side entrance, which you sort of have to use to avoid walking through the restaurant, and let me tell you, it's dark in those woods! That aside, though, the place was quite charming and worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gordon Beach Inn? Share your experiences!