“Charming family spot by the Lake, not for the anti-social.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fire Fly Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Union Pier
Prices are for rooms, adults
Fire Fly Resort
Save Saved
You added Fire Fly Resort to your Saves list
15657 Lakeshore Road, Union Pier, MI   |
“Charming family spot by the Lake, not for the anti-social.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed for four nights with four of us- (2 adults 2 kids 10 & 8) which was perfect for the space. A longer stay and if our kids were older, we would go bigger and get a house. Think charming and kitsch when you read this is a resort- think 1930s getaway, and you'll be happy. We had no issues with getting access, they made sure we checked in, free wifi was great, and the beach is Gorgeous! Downsides would be cleanliness (found lots of dust bunnies and previous guests leftovers under the beds), my kids found a full can of chewing tobacco in their room, which was surprising- gave us a teachable moment on vacation. And if you don't like sharing space with strangers, I don't recommend this setup- we were in the midst of a family reunion and didn't feel comfortable using the fire pit or courtyard during our stay. I loved the charm of the place, our cottage was updated and just what we needed for a quick Lake trip. I would definitely go back for a Girls weekend/week or book the whole place for a Family event.

• Stayed July 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mokena, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We chose this place because they have units where dogs are permitted and it is directly across the street from the beach. Our cottage was recently updated (though I can't believe they painted over the beautiful knotty pine paneling!) and had a "fresh" appeal. The door was unlocked when we arrived, as expected. But the key wasn't on the table as we were told it would be. Rhonda answered the phone and told me she'd get someone there with the key as soon as she could. We wanted to get down to the lake before dark and didn't want to leave the place unlocked, so I called again an hour later. She said someone would be there in 5 minutes. 30 minutes later a male brought the key, and unapologetically told me they were "in the middle of dinner and stuff". They are very clear about their expectations that you leave the place clean, wash dishes, and put all linens in the laundry bag when checking out. Fair enough, but there was sand in our sheets when we arrived, no broom, no dish cloths or towels, and no laundry bag. I bought a broom in town (and TP to supplement the single roll we were given) and we improvised the rest to avoid any cleaning fee. We really liked the property but felt the management was a liability rather than an asset.

• Stayed October 2012
Plainfield, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This past weekend I stayed for two nights in cabin 9. When we got there the door was locked and I had to call the emergency number to get in and the office was closed. This was at 4:00pm on Friday afternoon. The people who were staying next door to us knew the owner and were able to get him to come over and even he thought that door should have been unlocked. Either way we got in (thankfully because it took the emergency number people 3 hours to return my call). Anyway, once we got in the cabin I can understand why it was locked. They probably hadn't finished cleaning it. There were some dishes in the sink and the floor looked like it hadn't been swept or washed in a week. No worries, I thought I could still make the best of it until I saw the shower. There was mold/mildew lining the entire lower section of the walls of the shower. Neither my husband or I wanted to actually go in there but we had to shower because we were going to a wedding on Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, we actually considered driving back to IL Saturday night in lieu of spending another night in the cabin and forego the money we had already spent. Believe me, it was not worth the $340 we spent for two nights. I might have done better at a Motel 6.

There were other people from the wedding attendees who some said they had a pretty decent room and others said their room was not up to par either. The pictures look very nice on the website, but do not provide the "true picture" of what they are inside.

Overall, the area was beautiful and you do have the lake right across the street, but it was hardly worth the money. I would not stay here again and recommend that if you are truly interested in staying here, you should go there in person and view the cottages prior to booking them. Then perhaps you won't be as disappointed as I was.

Room Tip: I heard that Cottage 7 had been repainted and new furniture put in so start there!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Novi, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

The weekend we stayed at Firefly there was a storm and subsequent loss of power which left the cabins without heat (no backup system apparently) for a substantial part of our stay. Although we paid our entire balance up front (and had proof the resort cashed the check) the management presented us with a bill us for this amount the morning of our departure. We cleared this up with the manager but two weeks later received an e-mail from Firefly requesting payment again. When we reminded them again we had proof they cashed our check they apologized and said they had not stamped our bill as "paid". We were also promised a partial refund for the loss of heat ("we are mailing your refund today") however two months and several inquiries later the check has not come and the manager is no longer responding to our e-mails.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I'm not sure that I would call this place a "resort". It's more of a glorified, kitschy motel. Rooms are cute, but our cottage (#10) needs a serious update. Dishwasher didn't work, bathroom smelled, and the couch was filthy and old. The TV in our bedroom was practically from the turn of the century. The towels provided were very old and rough. The grounds are nice, but it is seriously lacking a pool, and the beach is a bit of a hike.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

This property is a number of joined cottages that are great for a family, or multi-family, stay. We had a 13 and 15 year old in a one bedroom cottage and it was fine (although the sleeper sofa was not very comfortable). Besides the cottage being cute and practical, the private beach access is awesome. Warren Dunes is great, but if you just want to relax on the beach, a private beach is the way to go. The "resort" has a nice yard with picnic tables and grills. A 5 minute walk also takes you to the Red Arrow Highway Roadhouse which is a surprisingly good (and crowded) restaurant. Pets are allowed in most of the cottages, but we asked for one that did not accept them. Finally, I did get the feeling that management company was a bit absent, but fortunately we did not need anything during our stay.

Yorkville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Love the resort! Very cute and well kept. Steps from the beach, either private or public. Very close to great restaurants and shops. Close to the Warren Dunes.
Only negative that I can possibly think of is that it might be a little hard to get a hold of anyone that works there when you need them.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Fire Fly Resort? Share your experiences!