“Excellent Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Troy
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
“Excellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Somerset Inn is a parking lot away from the south side of The Somerset Collection which is the "high end shopping" of the mall. An elevated walkway over Big Beaver Road takes you to the north side, beautiful shopping, no need for a car.
Room was updated, small but fine. Bathroom could have had a bigger vanity but manageable. Our A/C kept cycling on and off and was noisy, that's my only negative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed at this hotel during a girls weekend. What a great location to the mall! We just crossed the street and headed into Neimann Marcus from there! The beds were nice, curtains blocked out the sun in the AM, which is very important to me. I would say the only downfall of the actual rooms was the lighting, it was very dim in the hallway, not easy to use for make up especially when you have 4 women in one room trying to get ready all at once. We ate at the restaurant 2x and enjoyed it! However I think it was way overpriced. I would stay there again! :)

• Stayed April 2013
LaSalle, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed one night Saturday March 23rd 2013. My sister made reservation by phone - ask for Canadian rate. Much better price and includes breakfast and a $20 prepaid Amex to use at the mall next door. Excellent location for shopping/dining/hanging out. The hotel had a free shuttle that we were able to use to get to our reservation at Benihana. The driver gave us his cell number than we just called him when we wanted to go back and then he dropped us off at another bar again. Very convienent ! The room was very nice and spacious - plenty of room for 3 women to get ready to go out. Lots of towels and was clean and well maintained. I would stay here again - probably not with my kids as there is no pool. The breakfast was great and well priced if you had to pay. Poached eggs and toast x2 (was exactly how I wanted it) and my sister had baked tomatoe cups with spinach and egg and steamed veggies - coffee, tea and 1 OJ came to $38. Quick service, whitle table clothes etc..

Room Tip: our room faced the courtyard - very quiet and the curtains blocked all sunlight
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a good hotel if you want to do some shopping. You can walk across the street to the Somerset Mall or a 20 minute drive to the Outlet mall. The room was large and the bed was comfy. Loved the Keurig machine. The bathroom is outdated but clean and functional. I took a peak at the gym and it looked well equipped. Overall, nothing fancy in the hotel, but clean and comfortable with a great location. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here for access broadway. Everyone was sharing rooms and we wanted to split the room fees. She said no she couldn't so that until we checked out and she needed a card on file. I asked in front of my friend if my card would be charged she said no. I asked again to make sure and she said no. I get to my room and my husband calls about a large charge in our debit and she charged my card for the entire stay. I went down there to speak to them stating that I asked prior to giving them my card and basically they lied to me because then they told me oh, your debit does get charged then 3 days after you check out we reverse the charges. When I stated that now I have no access to the money. She said sorry and acted like it wasn't her problem. I have to deal with this place once a year but will never recommend to anyone!

• Stayed March 2013
Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Overall good hotel for the money . I was expecting a little more from the hotel as it relates to sommerset but basically a rebadged Holiday Inn with some cosmetics to make it look a little fancier. By the way rooms on the first floor towards the opposite end of the mall the hallway to the room smelled like a gym locker (not sure if I caught it at a bad time or what)

• Stayed January 2013
SomersetTroy, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Victor K. -- Thank you for selecting the Somerset Inn during your recent visit to Troy. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Be assured our housekeeping department is very diligent and they will swiftly take care of any odor, should it still exist. Please visit again soon!
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

There for a night on business. It was the only place available during the Auto show week. The location is ok, across from a shopping mall but it was a 10 min drive from where I needed to be (downtown Birmingham).

The room itself was a good size but flooded with cheap 'bright white LED' lighting in the main area (I was glowing) The bathroom was the only normal lighting.

Food was ok from room service. Better than anticipated (had a burger).

The downside was that the room walls were thin. I had more than enough entertainment from the rooms adjoining mine (no need for TV). Good range of programming too:) from X-Rated (quite vocal 'passion' coming from one room) to comical (a loud talking lady reminiscent of Phyllis Diller on the other side complaining about her laptop.

All in all - it's a decent hotel but not my first choice if/when returning to the area.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Somerset Inn? Share your experiences!