“Worst Experience ever!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Troy
Troy, Michigan
“Worst Experience ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had attended somerset inn before for a wedding and actually stayed there as well, this hotel has very high expectations considering its across from one of michigan's best mall. Last Saturday me and my fiance had reserved a room they were one of the only hotels that even had any rooms available. The check in was fast, our room was located near a door and exit door i believe i don't remember but of course you hear people in and out cause of the door slamming i over looked it i was tired whatever. Around 5am a LOUD thumping noise kept hitting our wall we called front desk they sent over two men to our room to proceed to try to "solve" the issue, the noise stopped then about eh 20 minutes later , remind you i couldn't go back to sleep but i hear a woman next to my hotel room Screaming during her sexual activity, I called front desk again and they said the only thing they could do was tell her to calm down.. the screaming went on for about a half hour. The room was $146.00 for one night.. biggest waste of my money ever! I will not be returning here, sure i was offfered a "free breakfest" how free? because i paid $146.00 dollars for a room to have some piece and quiet and i got anything but that. I will never ever return here again I have never dealt with this sort of issue, I work hard for my money and i expect to get at least some decent service, we were completely blown off whatever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We visit our family a couple of times a year in Suburban Detroit, but this time it was a combo business and family trip. We decided to stay at the Somerset Inn based on its location for our needs. It is perfectly situated next to I-75 (easy to get to Detroit), near downtown Birmingham, and adjacent to the upscale Somerset Mall Collection.
Service was very good at the front desk from beginning to end. Parking is easily available, however the back parking area needs to be repaved. The rooms appear to have been remodeled recently in a modern style and they were very nice. The hallways for the room were strange with low ceilings and florescent lighting - we couldn't figure that out. Common areas were clean, well-maintained and updated.
We only had breakfast in the on-site restaurant and it was okay. The staff appeared to be a bit green but extremely eager to please.
We will stay here again. This is a 3 - 3.5 star hotel based on location and service with 2 star pricing. Thank you Somerset Inn!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

If you're headed to the Sommerset Collection for shopping, this hotels location doesn't get any better. You can walk across the street to Neiman Marcus! How can you go wrong? Hotel staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and well kept. Free Wi-fi is always a nice bonus. Hotel wasn't very busy, which was nice. Breakfast was quite good in the hotel restaurant. I would return in the future.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful remarks regarding the Somerset Inn. We appreciate your kind comments and we're thrilled that you had a pleasant stay. On behalf of the hotel thank you for choosing the Somerset Inn. We loved having you as a guest and we hope that you'll visit again soon! Thank you and warmest regards!
lewisberry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My room had bugs.Mostly eight legged type,including a couple of crushed one's in my bed when I woke up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Martin G,
I had hoped that you would reply to my personal message to you, but to date I have not heard from you. Therefore I must respond to your post online. To reiterate my personal message, I’d like to apologize to you on behalf of the hotel for the spider that you had in your room at the Somerset Inn. Our Front Desk associate that you spoke with upon departing the hotel advised me that according to your verbal complaint at the desk, it was a spider at issue.

I must say that I completely understand the annoyance of a spider. I too don’t like it when I travel to other areas and have a spider in my hotel room… but I also understand that it can happen, anywhere, because these are no doubt pesky little nuisances. However, to go online and post a review that’s titled “BUGS,” is completely misleading. The heading absolutely infers something totally different than what the actual issue was. In the future a more fitting headline would not only be fair-minded, but appreciated. Nonetheless, you did have a spider in your room and for that we apologize.
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Ended up switching to this hotel at the last minute and glad I did.
Very clean, nice guest shampoos and soaps!

Need extra time at the restuarant for breakfast though and not the most friendly service, unless you are a regular.

Also, had a BIG with problem with the front desk help. Room was paid for by one party and they indicated there was no way they could switch to another party's card - extremely frustrating, but the most frustrating part was that the front desk employee really did not understand what we actually were asking her to do.

Oh well. Still great place to stay.

Room Tip: The elevators are a bit slow, so the higher up you are, the longer it will take so do not be in a hu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We frequently stay here as it is located adjacent to Troy Mall. Staff are extremely attentive and at slow times of the year, suites with living areas are reduced in price. Keurig coffer makers in the rooms. Sorry, no free breakfast but the on site restaurant offers good menu options.

• Stayed May 2012
, Director of Sales at Somerset Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful compliments about the Somerset Inn. We appreciate your kind comments and we're thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay. On behalf of the hotel, we loved having you as a guest and we hope that you'll visit again soon! Thank you.
Komoka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Lovely hotel and the restaurant is really good. Room service was prompt, friendly and reasonable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Somerset Inn? Share your experiences!