“Noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
State College
“Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

The amenities were great but I found this place to be noisy. I stayed there form 12/11 - 12/16 (Sunday - Thursday) so I have 5 good data points.

1st. I could hear the guy above me when he used the restroom. That's just gross. Just sick man.

2nd. I could hear folks in the hallway talking. This was bothersome at 10:30 pm!!

3rd. I could hear folks in the room above we walking and talking. It didn't seem like they were having a party. Just talking.

I consulted with another guy in my group he mentioned that he was also bothered by the noise. I won't be staying at Drury again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Windsor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We have stayed here several times and have always enjoyed the hotel and staff.

The Rooms are as nice if not better then most 4 star hotels, but unlike 4 star hotels which charge you for every thing the Drury inn gives you free Wifi, breakfast, 5:30 Kickbacks Drinks (Draft Beer & well drinks) and snacks with free popcorn and fountains drinks from 2pm-10pm, plus free local and long distance calls.. The fact that you can get all these extras and a 2 room suite for around $100 is amazing.

Lots of shopping near by which works out nice as I stay back with the kids and enjoy the pool while the wives go shopping.

Room Tip: if you stay on Weekends the price is lower. We recommend a suite that way the kids have thier own TV...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Marietta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed in this hotel on a vacation trip, stopping at Troy to see the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn. We also took a day trip up to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland in Frankenmuth, MI (a little over an hour's drive). All three of these attractions are recommended! We have been in love with the Drury Inn since we stayed in the one in Charlotte about ten years ago. However, my recent experiences at Staybridge Suites may just be nudging Drury out a bit.

This location of Drury Inn was a bit out of the way, on a street with mostly businesses. There is a friendly TGIFriday (the meal was excellent) attached to the hotel, but everything else is in some driving distance, including shopping and a variety of restaurants. If you go left, you approach the freeway exit and it is very busy. This also looks as if it was another hotel or motel at one time. The part of the hotel where the Friday's is has windows that opened. We were in the "L" where the windows did not. You enter right at the registration desk, and the eating area is directly in front of you. The indoor pool and the small exercise room are just down the hall near the elevators and near the back door to the hotel. Bring a robe if you stay here during the winter and use the pool! There's also a little "canteen" where you can buy frozen dinners, popcorn, chips, juice, etc.

We stayed in a one-room suite. You enter into a homey living room with a TV over a console that holds a bar fridge and a microwave. Opposite is a sofa flanked by two tables with reading lamps. A recliner is to one side of the sofa, and a desk is against the wall with a lamp. Our dog and our bird stayed here. Next is a short hall that leads to the bedroom, with the bathroom and closet. The bedroom was huge, with another television which we didn't use, a bench, a chair and a little reading table where we set up our cell phones to charge.

The place was scrupulously clean, the bed firm and comfortable, the pillows excellent, the shower good. However...the more pressing problem was the noisy air conditioner. I'm going through "the change" and am used to sleeping with three fans, so we had the A/C on, even in October. It was very loud. Also, there is an air circulator between the bedroom and the living room so the living room is supplied with air. This was also very noisy and thumped when it turned on. I am a light sleeper and this woke me up every time. This would not bother most winter travelers, but I'm sure it can be annoying in the summer.

We also had another problem with the little hard-surfaced floor that is on the little passageway between the rooms and in the bathroom. Because of the air circulator, of course the space above this little passage is hollow, it being just an air shaft. Apparently the person upstairs from us was a woman on a business trip. Every morning at seven she rose and got dressed, and then tap-tap-tap-tap-tapped her way on high heels back and forth over that hard bathroom floor for an hour before the noise quit! It echoed through this hollow air shaft and was even louder than it would have been if we were upstairs in this lady's room! This woke my husband up, too!

The breakfasts are okay. This is where the Staybridge Suites )where we stayed on our vacation the past two years) really shone. The only meat for breakfast was sausage patties. The Staybridge people alternate this with bacon. We wish the Drury Inn would do the same. The Drury Inn makes a big pot of real oatmeal, which is good; it has more fiber and vitamins than the packet type, which Staybridge had. HOWEVER, the oatmeal was made in a metal container, your typical institutional cooking pot. Even with brown sugar sprinkled on it, you could not kill the taste of the metal in the oatmeal. There were four kinds of cereal, only one kind not sugared. More variety might be nice, especially for diabetics (husband is one). For fruit, the Drury had only bananas and Red Delicious apples. The Staybridge had a fruit bar with cantaloupe, oranges, honeydew, grapes, etc. plus apples--some were Granny Smiths, which I prefer--and bananas. Wish Drury could do the same.

Drury has a little meal type snack at the end of the day. Unfortunately it relied heavily on chili and other spiced foods I could not eat. The soup every night was broccoli cheddar. Ugh. How about alternating it with chicken noodle or vegetable? They did have baked potatoes every other night, which was okay.

In short, I would highly recommend this place for the cleanliness, bed, shower, comfort. Hope you get a quieter A/C--and no woman in high heels upstairs from you!

Room Tip: Ask to stay at the front of the hotel. The rear faces an access road. However, it wasn't noisier...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Troy, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your comments and for the positive feedback you provided on the cleanliness of our hotel! Our housekeeping team works hard to provide a clean environment to ensure each and every guest experiences a memorable stay.

I am sorry to hear you had a concern with the AC unit in your room. We will definitely look into this matter to ensure this does not reoccur.

Regarding our location, please note less than 1.5 miles from the Drury hotel, you can find the upscale Somerset Collection with beautiful architecture, moving skywalks, and several world-class stores. Within this same distance, you can also find great restaurants, such as Morton’s The Steakhouse, The Capital Grille, P.F. Chang’s, Maggiano’s Little Italy, Benihana and many more.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to being at your service the next time you visit the Troy area!

Joe Del Serrone
Royal Oak, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

I've stayed at this property MANY times, even staying for one entire month a few years ago. We've always been quite pleased, with the amenities, service, attentiveness, and bonus goodies like their complimentary breakfast, 530pm 'Kick-Back' drinks and food, free internet, popcorn, coffee and soft drinks offered through-out the day and so much more. This all adds up to ONE great value. Their breakfast is not just continental with cold cereals and danish/donuts-but a complete hot breakfast. Their 530pm Kick-Back offers not only complimentary alcoholic beverages, but also hot dogs, chili, chicken strips, macaroni & cheese, baked potatoes, nacho's and salad plus much more. One can easily make this their dinner since so much is offered and it's all-you-can-eat in a buffet setting. Their indoor pool and jacuzzi offers year-round fun. I had the pleasure of staying in just about every room type during my many stays. Their jacuzzi suite is just wonderful- I stayed in one that was nearly as large as my own apartment. The large deluxe bedrooms, a separate living room with flat-screen tv's, sofa, reclining chair- and the bathroom...wow, what can I say...it's MASSIVE! Very nice appointments- marble, tile floor, a nice size jacuzzi, a separate stall shower with all the bells and whistles..Also, they are connected to a TGIF Fridays restaurant so if you want to get something to eat, you don't even have to go outside!....I really can't say enough about this place. It's located just a couple miles from where we live so we often times have enjoyed it as a weekend get away! BRAVO to Drury Inn's for always providing me and my family with the best value around, wonderful decor and style and very friendly service! They truly make you feel welcome and part of their family...I can't wait to go back! THANKS AGAIN!

Room Tip: I've had the opportunity to stay in many room types- but, me personally, I ALWAYS enjoy their ja...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Hillsdale, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We (a group of five ladies on a shopping trip) stayed at this location and could not have been more pleased! We rented the 2 room suite and found it to be spacious, very clean and very comfortable and quiet. All of the staff we encountered were extremely friendly, courteous and professional. The food /beverages in the afternoon were especially nice and the breakfast was great, offering a nice selection of food and beverages. We will definitely stay here again if in the area. My only recommendation would be to offer pay per view in the rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed at the Drury Inn in Troy Michigan for a week. The room was very clean, the bed was really comfortable and the sheets were soft. The service from the front desk and shuttle drivers was Excellent. Very curtious all the time. The hotel amenities like the little store, computer room, lobby where food was served both breakfast and dinner and drinks in the evening, the pool and hot tub and having the restaurant attached as well.
Over all it is by far the best place I have ever stayed and would recommend this hotel to anyone for any length of travel.

Oh one more important thing, the rooms were quiet, like I couldn't hear my neighbors through the walls.

Room Tip: 2, 3 or 4 floor is the best in my opinion.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Celaya, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Room is clean, restrooms is clean, room has good size and WiFi works great. Breakfast is pretty decent and drinks and food on the afternoon are a nice extra. I think it is the best value for the money on the Troy area. You have also a TGF at walking distance and a lot of other alternatives on the same road.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Troy? Share your experiences!