“Great rooms and fantastic breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Detroit - North / Troy - Auburn Hills

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites Hotel Detroit - North / Troy - Auburn Hills to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Detroit - North / Troy - Auburn Hills
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   850 Tower Drive, Troy, MI 48098   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fill 'er Up! Gas Package
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Troy
Ontario
“Great rooms and fantastic breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I traveled with my extended family over the Mother's Day weekend for a Mom & Daughter's shopping trip. The hotel was the perfect fit for us! The rooms are very large and spacious, and the Front Desk was great at accommodating our request to have rooms that were close together (we were side-by-side). The Front Desk staff were EXTREMELY friendly, both at check-in, and when we needed help connecting to the internet they happily walked us through using the code provided.

Positives: The rooms were very clean, the flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and living room were fantastic. Staff were friendly everywhere. The breakfast buffet was fabulous, with something for everyone (hot and cold items, fresh fruit, omelet station). The pool and hot tub were great too! The atrium was beautifully decorated, with new renovations to the decor. The skylights made it bright during the daytime, and despite the open concept and lots of sports teams, the rooms were quiet (we were on the 5th floor).

Negatives: The Manager's Reception on Friday evening was not what we expected. Popcorn, pretzels, Goldfish crackers, Nachos and Salsa were on the menu. I think we were expecting a selection of hot and cold items as other hotels in the Hilton brand have (ie. Homewood's evening reception) - so this was a bit of a disappointment. We also had dinner in the Riparian Grille restaurant and the service was EXTREMELY slow (we went for dinner at about 6pm). We were a table of 5, and there was one other table in the restaurant. Apparently the room service orders were going crazy, so we had to wait a good hour before our food came out. Our server was great though, and did her best to assure us the food was coming. She brought out a basket of bread (although the side plates were missing). We were all very hungry by the time food came (salads and sandwiches), but she offered compensation to our bill, so we felt she did the best she could under the circumstances in the Kitchen. We were puzzled as to why the restaurant guests would be delayed and the room service orders were expedited.

Despite the challenge with the food service, we had a great weekend. Challenges can always arise, and it's how they are resolved before departure that counts. Kudos to this hotel for empowering their employees to "make it right" when needed.

We are already talking about making it an annual shopping event, and would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Detroit - North / Troy - Auburn Hills, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear caridad00,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with our hotel. I appreciated reading the compliments of your experiences with several of the guest amenities like the swimming pool, Jacuzzi, breakfast services, your suite and our attractive open atrium setting, thank you. I apologize that our light snacks offerings during our daily Manager's Reception is not comparable to the offerings of a Homewood Suites; to which I agree with you that they are excellent properties to stay at and being another Hilton Worldwide Brand Hotel, my family and I enjoy their evening services very much also. Additionally, I apologize for the unpleasant wait times that you had to endure during your dining in our restaurant, and I thank you very much for your patience, understanding, and especially recognizing our Team Members' efforts to 'empower' themselves to 'make it right' before your departure from the hotel. Thanks again for your business and loyalty to our HW hotels, and we look forward to servicing your return shopping trip.

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have stayed at this property several times. It is a great location for shopping both Somerset Mall and Great Lakes Crossing. The hotel was busy, but not sold out. Went to the pool in the evening and all of the towels were gone. Walked to the front desk and the receptionist said " they're still not there ". So apparently I was not the first to ask. The pool area had not been picked up and cleaned for what looked like a long while. Dirty towels and cups everywhere. The next morning we went down at 8:15am and the towels were gone again! On weekends especially you would think that someone would be checking the pool every half hour or so to keep it stocked and clean.
The breakfast was ok. Not as good as I have had there before. Like I said, the hotel was not sold out yet they had run out of forks, and some of the food. Even the hot water for tea was gone! The person making the omelettes didn't seem to have a handle on it. Most often at Embassy Suites this goes pretty smooth,
I am a Gold Member and usually my benefit choices are in my room when I arrive. They were not there, nor did they come while we were out. I stopped by the front desk to ask about them and he said "did you check your refrigerator?" I said that I hadn't but would, and when he looked it up he said "oh someone will bring them up". I realize it isn't much, but if they are going to offer you something for being a Hilton Honor member then I would expect they carry through.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear lovetootrvl,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with our property. I apologize that all of your experiences, from the swimming pool area towel supply, cleanliness of area, and poor breakfast experience to the missing HHonors amenity upon check-in; all of which were simply just not up to par with our normal high service levels. I appreciate that even with these inconveniences that you had to endure, that you were still very fair and complimenting in your overall review and grading of the stay, thank you. I will definitely share your feedback with our Team as your grading also pointed out that it was our Team Members' lacking responsiveness, pro-activeness and overall missed service opportunities to impress our guests that left an unfavorable impression on one of our loyal, valued Gold HHonors Members. Thanks again for your valued business and we hope that you will still choose to stay with us on another future shopping trip in our area.

Eric Welch,
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The hotel was very nice, clean, easy to find and convenient to the highway. The maintenance staff is wonderful. He offered to assist me with my bags and refused a tip!!! One evening my key wasn't working, he let me into my suite, went downstairs to have my key re-made and slide it under the door and apologized for my inconvenienced. The front desk staff was especially friendly but the other staff made the difference.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious and have been well kept. I would suggest a higher floor as the breakfast ho...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear MrsLawrence28,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with our property. While you had mentioned the convenience of our location from the highway, your compliments of our Team Members, especially our afternoon Engineer on duty, were very gracious, thank you. I will share your positive feedback with our Team as they appreciate hearing excellent guest comments and responses in reviews. Thanks again for the review and your valued business and we look forward to servicing your lodging needs again soon.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

This is a decent choice for business. They have a nice little business center, a shuttle with a friendly driver if you need it, and some nice people behind the desk. I was impressed by the maintenance staff- they changed the filters in the AC while I was there and it seemed like they keep the place in good shape. They also gave me new remotes- I found that nice since the tv remotes in hotels are often weak. The tv scrambled out once in a while. The beds are comfy. They could use more snacks in the little "store" next to the front desk area. Be warned this is an atrium hotel, so if you are afraid of heights I recommend a lower floor even though it's only 8 stories. Also if you have young kids - stick to the lower floors. I saw a few boys peering over the edge on the 8th floor. I was on the 8th floor and had a walk- in shower but no bath... I like a bathtub. But all in all this is not a bad place and the prices are very fair here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Detroit - North / Troy - Auburn Hills, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Cartman1968,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with our property. As we are located in a business district and in the suburbs of Troy, our Team understands and appreciate the need to service every business traveler very well to hopefully impress them to choose our hotel over our competitors for their return trips to our area.

Thank you for describing several of the amenities and accommodations that you utilized during your stay. Of them, the most impressive was your compliments of our Maintenance Team exchanging your air filter and remote control, and your impression that the acts left you. As well as recognizing our Front Desk Teams' friendly and nice interactions with your requests, service needs and shuttle service. Thanks again for the review and your valued business and we look forward to servicing your lodging needs again soon.

Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We just finished our stay at this hotel. Unlike other hotels that are of the Embassy brand, this hotel does not allow you to use ANY part of it's public area (chairs, lobby, tables, etc) to talk with your co-workers or family while consuming outside food or drink (pizza, beer, etc). In fact, it is discouraged to just even sit down (chairs are pulled close to the tables to indicate the area is 'closed' and not availble to the public). Keep in mind that Troy is near Detroit, so perhaps they have had problems with trouble makers. We are in our 50's and sat down with a glass of wine and were told "this area is closed and you must leave'". When we asked fruther questions at the front desk, we were told that we could eat or drink in our rooms only and that any other area of the building was off limits for these activities. We also asked for a conference room to do this and were told that eating and drinking in the conference room which we would have to pay for (100 dollars) was also forbidden. This is the hotel of 'no'. I'm sure this is a fine hotel for those people not wanting to meet or talk with others. Just don't go there with your kids or others to order a pizze and expect to use a picnic table or common area. Their attitude is horrible. Other Embassy suites are not this way. Also, we had to travel to 4 floors looking for a working ice machine. Breakfast turned our stomachs because the poor guy (1 guy) making omlets was just in a mess behind the counter. We ordered omlets and then waited and waited. We then left.

Room Tip: Don't bring people here you want to meet with. Don't think this doesn't apply to you be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Needed a place to spend the night after a day trip to the area. Wife and kids planned to shop Somerset, so wanted something close that was "nice". Searched TA for combination of rating and value and landed here. Took offer that included a Somerset package, a $25 gift card for an additional $15. Not busy when we arrived about 830PM, given the next day was Good Friday I am guessing most business people were gone home. Seamless check in and close parking. We received 7th floor room with King bed in separate room with pull out sofa for our 2 daughters.

Went to pool that evening, area was OK, well stocked with towels, but not many seats available, maybe 20 total? Had to put our towels on a railing initially but some folks left not long after that. Hot Tub was nice and warm but not a lot of jet action. Not a complaint just an observation. Sign said kids swim till 10, adults till 12. It went past 10 (we were there till 1020) and kids were still there, so I think they are OK with it as long as things are not out of order.

I used the fitness center the next morning (pool and fitness are card access, but free). There were 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals and a couple weight machines. Towels, ear plugs for video, and filtered water available. Only one TV in the room at the back. The treadmills had a video screen on them, but mine was not functional, not a big deal for me as I had my IPod. Was only one other person in the room @ 8AM.

Had to roust up the family as there is a cooked to order breakfast available, but only served 630-930. We got there 915 and wasn't too busy, but again it was a holiday. Large selection in their buffet, typical breakfast items. I tried the omelet station, and chef did a good job. they weren't kidding about 930. I wanted to get a refill on my coffee, and walked back there and it was already gone @ 932.

Note about the wireless, website said it costs $10 per day, I got mine comp, not sure why as I lost my HH Gold last year. For those of you who have AT&T at home, they offer comp wireless here too (attwifi) where you only need your ATT account login and password to get free access.

Hotel is not too far from the interstate, but we could not hear a thing from the room, so don't let that bother you. Also they have free shuttle to Somerset for the shoppers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear BeachLeech,

Thank you for your complimenting review of recent stay at our hotel. It was easily one of the most thorough reviews that I have ever read of our property, thank you. I was impressed to your attention to detail with each of the amenities, commercial areas and services; really outstanding details of your experiences, both positive and negative, I appreciated reading all of it. Our Team truly values reviews from our former guests as the feedback surly helps us grow and improve.

I wanted to thank you also for mentioning the Somerset Shopping Package and how that reservation rate/package worked well for you and your family's needs that weekend. Additionally, your compliments of other Embassy Suites Brand Standard amenities, guest services and accommodations throughout our property, thank you again for an excellent review and we look forward to servicing your lodging needs again soon.

Carmel, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

i had business North of Detroit in Lapeer, MI. this was the closest decent Hilton property. Nice hotel. Curteous staff, fast elevators. Decent food nearby wit a nice Upscale Itialian place within walking distance. As for all of detroit somewhat run down neighborhood but trying to make a comeback.

Stayed March 2012
Dear sudsdrinker,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent experiences with your stay at our hotel. I appreciated reading that your choice to reserve with us was due to your HHonors Membership and that you are Loyal to our Hilton Worldwide Brands of Hotels. Thank you also for recognizing our Team Members as being curteous and that it appears that your first stay with us and overall nice experience. Thanks again for your review and valued business, we hope to service your lodging needs again soon.

Eric Welch

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Detroit - North / Troy - Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!