“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Troy
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

You get what you paid for at maybe less. I got this hotel through hotwire for $46 a night.
They gave me room 104 which had a moldy smell. When I came to open the curtains I found out the ceiling had been soaked at some point and it had not been taken care of. When I complained to the front desk I was moved room but the clerk did not write down anything fro the problem to be fixed.

The Internet connection is very poor except early morning (before 6am).

In the second room I was there were some loose cable coming out of the phone socket.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Waterloo, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel was the most disgusting, scary hotel we have ever been to. If you have seen the movie "The Shining" by Stephen King, this is the identical scene and room you will see in the movie. There was garbage all over the floors, and the bed sheets were on the ground when we opened the door for the first time in our room. There was barely any staff, and those that were working, were not friendly at all. We couldn't even bring ourselves to walk into the room, we turned right around and checked out, and stayed at the Hampton Inn instead. I would tell anyone who is even considering this hotel, to run far far away, and as fast as you can!!

Room Tip: To choose a good room, don't stay at this hotel!
Port Angeles, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Facilities are actually fine for Detroit. Neighborhood is good and the restaurant within walking distance is great. Management is having a tough time keeping staff though. When we got there half the cleaning staff had just left and the front desk was scrambling to make things work. I was overcharged for two nights that I wasn't there, and the lackey hired to fill in at the front desk didn't have a clue. There are probably better places to stay for the average $80/night in Royal Oak or Clawson.

Belle River, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed in Room 108 and had the comforter off and the top bedsheets down while watching some TV. Next thing you know a bug crawled by and I squeezed it. It was full of blood!!! Then saw another one crawling across the sheets and trapped it on a kleenex and brought it to the front desk. Sharron, the desk clerk, had no idea what it was so I told her it was a bedbug and I had already killed one! She told me the room would be complimentary for the night and that she would move us to another room. When went back to get our luggage found another adult one crawling on the pillowcase. At that point decided we were not going to move to another room so we checked out at 1:30a.m.
Called expedia the next day but they were only able to get a refund for the last two days of our paid stay. We were told to contact the hotel about the night we stayed as the hotel wouildn't refund because they offered us a room but we left. So called the hotel and were told manager, Mike, would call back. Fat chance! Called back ther next day and was told Mike was not available but would call back. Told them tried that the day before. Indicated to them what had happened and that we were told room would be comp, but was told Sharron didn't have the authority to offer a comp room. I asked them what they did about the room and clerk said they looked but didn't fine any bedbugs!!! Really, what about the one Sharron put in a cup when I brought it down!! So since they didn't do anything to get rid of the bedbugs, they live on and keep on spreading!! Never did get a call from Mike and never received a refund for that "bedbug filled" night!! There has to be a way to report a hotel that "covers up" a bedbug problem!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelWitoszynski, Director of Sales at The Met Troy, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We are terribly sorry for the inconvience and disappointment that you experienced during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and can assure you that the issues have been addressed. We hired professional exterminators to investigate the rooms. NO BEDBUGS were found in the hotel at all! We have recently experienced a beattle problem and it is being taken care of. We would also like to apologize for the incoreect information given to you by our front desk staff. When booking a room through expedia, or any third party agency, we are not able to comp the rooms. The comp must go through expedia. You pay them and then they pay us. The general manager, Mike, sincerely appologizes for not returning your call. The bug given to the front desk was never shown to him and when he heard of the issue, professional exterminators were called immediatly. We have been extremely busy the past few weeks and dont want you to feel as if your feedback has been ignored. We hope you will give our establishment a second chacnce to meet your expectations.
Hoboken, New Jersey, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was sent to this hotel by expedia.com in their "unnamed" three-and-a-half star special at 40% off. HUGE mistake. The building is shaped like a horseshoe and i was sent to park in the back to be closer to my room. The back was dark and secluded and SO creepy! My room had no ventilation and became humid and smelly after a shower, and got danker and smellier the longer we stayed. Housekeeping came ONCE during a four-night stay despite the fact that I went to the front desk and specifically asked for housekeeping to be sent. My phone had a tone, but did not dial out, even to the front desk. My daughter said it felt like we were in The Shining. It did. The towels were very frayed and the bathroom light switch was caked in black grime. The pool, sauna and free breakfast were nice but did not come close to redeeming the awful room and lack of service. I will never stay here again. I felt Expedia.com completely misled me with the three-and-half stars. I've stayed at two-star motels that were better than this.

Room Tip: Don't use the "unnamed hotel" system on Expedia.com!!! Avoid the MET/Troy at all costs...
T.o.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

On Aug 4, 2012 I stayed at the MET hotel in Troy, MI. I had purchased the hotel on a website called Ho#%wi$e thinking that I was paying for a 3 star hotel. Before going I had read some of the review of the hotel and was thinking how bad could it be? I have travelled to many countries and stayed in many hostels and 2 star hotesl in my life and I| think I could handle these lower end establishments.
Check-in was handled by a young lady that seemed pleasant. When I asked what restaurants were in the neighbourhood, the response was" I dont' live in this ara so i dont what type of restaurants are close by". The room had a Tube tv with approx 15 channels and did not have either a pen or a note pad for me to use for phone calls. The bathroom was functional, but the wallpaper was peeling and the lighting was poor. The hotel is a large property, unfortunately i was placed in a section of rooms next to a group of wedding guests. During the evening (2:30 am), their loud conversations kept me up as the hall-way had an echo and thin walls.
Either way, this was not a 3 star hotel. If I was told it was 2 or 2.5 star, I would not be so disappointed. I feel that i was misled about the hotel from the company that i purchased it from.

Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My guess is that The Met used to be a pretty grand hotel in the area. It is a very large hotel and we were just looking for a place to rest our heads after a concert in downtown Detroit. The hotel has some age to it, but it appeared to be fairly well kept up. It is modern by any means, but it was clean and cheap. There is nothing within walking distance. It is in the middle of an industrial park and you have to drive a little ways to find restaurants. My only complaint was that the thick curtains that really darken the room only went 1/2 way on each side, so we were awoke bright and early to the morning sun.

Room Tip: We got a double room and it was very large. Plenty of room for 2 couples or a family.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Met Troy? Share your experiences!