“Atricious” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Traverse City
Hastings, MN
“Atricious”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

My 31-year old daughter and I stayed overnight at the Traverse City Quality Inn. I have stayed in numerous motels and this was one of the worst. The room was marginally clean, the bed skirts, on the beds, were ripped in several places - large rips so the fabric hung down to the floor. The mattresses were horrible. The floor would have been more comfortable and we did discuss that until we realized how nasty the floor was. My daughter took a shower. The shower head was stuck on a pulse rythmn. My daughter set the shower on warm and stepped in. I was sitting on my bed when I heard her scream. The water had changed to very hot and if she had not stepped out of the tub area, she would have got burned. When it went back to warm, she stepped back in and then the water went to ice cold. This happened several more times and finally she gave up on the shower. The next morning we were very tired and disgruntled and glad to see the last of this place. I will never stay in a Quality Inn again.

• Stayed October 2009
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
Hello Ms. Carol

I want to begin by saying we are sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your recent stay with us.

I'm surprised that the beds were uncomfortable. The Hotel is mandated to have top of the line Serta Sleeper Beds in all the rooms. Sometimes the beds in hotels may not be the same as the one at home, but I have had many comments from guests that the beds in our rooms are even better that the beds they do have at home. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectation. We take pride in selecting the right staff to make our housekeeping team more than average.

I am not certain as to what happened with the bed skirts and I have escalated this matter to my housekeeping supervisor. As for the sudden change in water temperature, I have no explanation to offer. We did not receive any other reports of the same issue from other guests, but that does not overshadow the fact that we are concern for the safety and comfort of ALL of our guests. I just wished we were made aware of your experience during your stay so that we would have had the opportunity to make your stay more accommodating and pleasant.

We are aware of all the lodging choices available to guest who visits the Traverse City area and we cannot convey enough how much we value your choice of our hotel for your stay.

We hope that you will allow us another chance to try to meet your expectations the next time you are in Traverse City.

Thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lisle, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

We stayed here because we wanted somewhere lower priced and still close to the beach. We didn't have any complaints with this hotel. It's an older hotel and not flashy, but unless you're planning on spending a lot of time in the room and need a lot of amenities, it's just fine. We stayed in a jacuzzi room which was nice. It was clean, the service was friendly, and you could walk to the beach area from this hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing you insight regarding your stay with us. We cannot thank you enough for choosing our hotel for your lodging needs.

I do agree there are many hotels in this area and we try to be consciencious with our rates in hope that it will align with our guest's budget. We are centrally located with beach access just about a block walking distance.

We are delighted to know you were able to enjoy some of the emenities our hotel had to offer, although we know there are many activities Traverse City has to offer that keeps people busy.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed here because they accepted pets. Our room was clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was recently updated. It is close to many restaurants as well as right across the street from the water. There is a very nice walking trail that is paved behind the hotel that takes you past the state park and other local businesses.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit in beautiful Traverse City. We are one of just a few hotels in the area that acxcepts pets. Nowadays, people travel with their pets more often and we are glad we can extend our hospitalty to our guest's "extended family", the family pet.

We are very well located with just minutes from downtown shopping and dining, as well as area beaches and trails.

Traverse City is truly a beautiful area where you can enjoy all four seasons. We hope to see you again soon.

Thank You!
garnd rapids
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

We stopped at this hotel at 5 am on a Sunday morning. The clerk told my boyfriend we could check out on Monday morning at 11am. They ended up charging our account 239.17 ( 109.99 for 6 hours!!) We called to complain and they accused my boyfriend of being "highly intoxicated" ( we drove all night and don't drink!) The room smelled so bad you could hardly breathe, the ice machine on the floor above leaked so bad it looked like the ceiling was ready to fall in and the carpet was soaked below..Worst hotel in TC. Filed a complaint with corporate. Tried to get this straightened out with the hotel itself but the GM spoke to me as if I were a moron ( I was for staying there) Not worth it and DONT pay with a credit card!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
ram33, MANAGER at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, September 6, 2009
Dear Maam / Sir:

We are sorry you did not agree to what we previously discussed over the phone regarding your stay. Upon check in at 5 a.m. you were made aware that you will be charged for two nights and you signed a registration card that indicated that.

We regret to say that the hotel was never made aware of your dissatisfaction about the smell of the room, leak on the ceiling or carpet being wet. This was never mentioned to the hotel during your stay or when we spoke on the phone. We would have made every effort to rectify the situation or offered to move you to a more suitable room.

We are aware of the excessive lodging choices available to guests the traverse city area and we cannot convey strongly enough how much we value and appreciate your choice of our property for your stay.

We hope to get another opportunity to make a more enjoyable and comfortable experience for you the next time you are in Traverse City.

Thank you for your feedback.
Ann Arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I stayed here for a couple of nights and my wife was here for six nights while taking a class. My main complaint is that the facilities are old and show many signs of wear. Bathtub drain that was very slow, electronic door locked that require several key cards during the course of the week. Wi-Fi was basically unusable, web pages would take five minutes or so to load. We asked about having that fixed and the clerk said that they were working on it. The next day there was no improvement, I asked again and the clerk, a different one this time, was surprised to hear that there was a problem. His solution was to log into the pizza restaurant next door. That proved to be much better though still on the slow side.

The motel is large, from the front to the back door is around 100 yards, though the elevator is at the back and our room was at the front. It was a lot of work to load our stuff, including a mini-fridge, onto the elevator and then carry all the way to our room. The dinning room for breakfast is extremely small, room for ten or twelve people. When twenty or more people are all trying to eat at the same time it turns into an ordeal. Also, our room was very small, okay for the days that my wife was there by herself, but crowded when the two of us were there together.

Even though we had an exceptional rate, through the Friends and Family Program, we will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, September 6, 2009
Dear Maam / Sir:

Thank you for your response in regards to your stay with us. I do agree that we are a dated hotel but there is ongoing renovations and updates to keep up with our guests' expectations.

We are sorry of the dissatisfaction you experienced regarding the slow drain and issues with your key card. Our Wi-Fi was experiencing technical difficulties during your stay due to the local phone company and ISP having signal issues. We tried to accommodate our guests the best way possible by offering to use the Wi-Fi next door at the pizza shop. The General Manager directly contacted the owner of the pizza shop and asked permission for our guests to use his Wi-Fi in which the owner obliged.

Our hotel is a rather large facility offering 96 variety of rooms to cater to different interests. We would have made every effort to offer a room that was more suitable for you have we known that the length was of a concern.There is room for improvement on the size of our breakfast area, but believe it or not we have had many success in accommodating all of our guest to a deluxe continental breakfast when it is at full capacity.

We cannot thank you enough on choosing our hotel for your lodging need and we hope to see you again.

Thank You.
jersey city, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

I've been here three times. The selection was based somewhat on price, and on it not being sold out, and sometimes when a place is cheaper/not sold out I wonder why, but I was pleasantly surprised. The negative reviews here seem a bit cartoonish (The Mystery Of The Missing Sundress should be turned into a Kevin Spacey movie.)

Rooms were clean and pleasant. Breakfast had the basics. There was a computer in the lobby for those who are paranoid about losing laptops in airport bathrooms.

Like most TC hotels, it isn't in the downtown area. The worst thing about the location is that it's on a busy main road, making a left turn annoying. On the plus side, you can walk to the state park beach - a great alternative to the logistics of driving to the beach and to the markup for pure beachfront hotels.

The adjacent Bayside Market may look like just a deli, but they specialize in jerky - a few kinds of beef, and turkey also.

Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in regards to your stay with us. We cannot thank you enough on your loyalty in staying with us regardless if its based on price or availability. We are proud that you allowed us an opportunity to be at your service during your stay in beautiful Traverse City.

Yes, we are not the Ritz-Carlton, but we pride ourselves in providing a clean, comfortable and affordable place to stay to any guests who visits our area.

Lastly, I can personally agree the Bayside Market two doors down from us is a hidden gem. They have may items to offer from jerky, meats, sanwiches to local beer & wine.

We hope to continue seeing you each time you visit Traverse City and we thank you again for your business.
Miami Lakes, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

I have stayed at this Qualitiy Inn a few times. I love this place! It has a great location and the staff could not be more accomodating and friendly. On my most recent stay, I had just lost my wallet while traveling from Florida. The Assistant GM was so helpful and kind working with me while I struggled to get my credit cards and money replaced. I am very thankful. I travel with my cat, and love having a drive up room on the first floor. The room is comfortable and clean, and has free WiFi, which I use. For those without their own computer there is a public computer off of the lobby so you can check your email. The complimentary breakfast is nice with freshly baked muffins and bread. There are also bagels, and toast, fruit cup and cereal. I did miss the hard boiled eggs this time, but it is not a big deal. The back of the motel is next to the TART Trail, and there is a bench, so you can go sit outside if you like, or use the hotel as a starting point for your bike ride, walk, or inline skating. The rates are higher on the weekends, and probably in the summer. I have only stayed there in the Spring and Fall. Traverse City is a tourist area, and I have always found the Quality Inn rates to be very reasonable. There is a $10 pet fee per night. While I think this is high for my cat, I am grateful for all pet friendly hotels. It is supposed to be for a special cleaning fee, and it is also less than a lot of places charge. I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Dear Vaued Guest,

Thank you very much for always choosing our hotel for your stay each time you get an opportunity on staying in Traverse City. Our hotel staff from the GM's to our housekeepers genuinely strive to treat every guests with respect and know we all run into hurdles alongh the way of life. We are glad you were able to work things out when you lost your wallet. That is always a nightmare specially when traveling.

We are delighted to know you enjoyed all the emenities the hotel had to offer from free WiFi, hot breakfast, to being pet friendly. Alot of people, including myself, enjoys the TART trail conveniently located in the back of our hotel.

Thank you again for always choosing our hotel and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Quality Inn By the Bay? Share your experiences!