“OLDER HOTEL BUT,” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Sturgis, Michigan
“OLDER HOTEL BUT,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The wife and i took a weekend trip to Traverse City,Mi. Saturday Jan. 19 2013. This hotel had a great rate for a saturday so we thought we would try it. They staff was very friendly Like I said the hotel was older and needs some makeover, but every thing was clean and the beds were comfortable. I went and checked bathroom and the stool didnt work. How ever the maintenance man had it repaired within 20 min. Great service. Only one advice; dont go in Jan. without checking the weather first. We had terrible time going home in snow storm.

Room Tip: You can see rooms before you commit.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Traverse City. I'm sorry you had trouble with the toilet in your room but I'm glad my maintenance staff rectified the situation immediately.

All of our staff strive for providing top notch service and with s genuine northern hospitality. Our hotel goes through ongoing updates and renovations so that our guest's needs and expectations are met.

I agree with you in regards to planning and checking out the weather for our area. Northern Michigan can be unpredictable as fas as weather.

Thank you again for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Clare, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at the hotel the other night and it was very comfortable. We have stayed several other times and have been satisfied with our stays. The staff is wonderful. Pam checked us in and she was great. She was very friendly and definitely knows her job from front to back. The building does need some updating but sometimes you can overlook that-as we did here. Our room was very spacious and at the end of the building so we had a very quiet stay because there was no one beside or on top of us. The breakfast was nice also, waffles, eggs, sausage, fruit and much more. We will stay again

Room Tip: King rooms on the first floor are very large
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your thoughts and comment regarding your recent stay with us.

Pam is our seasoned Front Desk Manager who continues to strive to unsure all of our guests have a pleasant and memorable experience.

The hotel continues to go through updates and rennovations. We are in the process of rennovating the breakfast area, purchased new flat screen televisions and brand new beds.

We hope you see you again soon. Please refer a friend or family member.
JACKSON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked rooms for ourselves and friends hoping to have a good experience. For the off season price this hotel was a good value and convenient location. Both of our rooms were a little dated but clean and comfortable. The staff we encountered were all pleasant and helpful. We didn't use the pool area. The breakfast itself was decent but the room is very tiny. We were concerned about the large amount of rooms in the hotel (200 maybe) with only 5 tables in the lobby to eat. We ate at 7:00 a.m. so we didn't have a problem, but I'm sure later in the morning we would have not been able to eat. Having your breakfast table next to the front door and the reception desk was a little awkward.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing you feedback on your recent stay with us. We cannot thank you enough fin choosing our hotel for your lodging needs.

The hotel will be going through renovations to make a bigger and more effecient breakfast area. We have started to add new flat screen televisions in all the room and new beds. We hope this project will be completed before the summer season hits.

We hope you will get another opportunity to visit Traverse City again soon and we hope you will be able to experience and enjoy the updates and rennovations the hotel will undergo.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights here. This hotel is what you would expect in a cheap hotel. Older stuff, and sort of dinged up. The indoor pool had poor ventilation and was very chloriney and I end up with a raspy throat. We only went once. A salt system is preferable.

The room was not very big and didnt have a desk really. The lights were old incandescent lights which for a hotel is not very green. There was no mini fridge.

The breakfast was not too bad, but the amount of room that they had down there made for a horribly uncomfortable situation. The people were all over each other like swarming gulls on the food. This made it impossible for the lady to restock the food quickly because it is impossible to move around. There was one waffle maker and that took 3 minutes to make a waffle. We were there 5 days so we learned to get there early or late.

All in all I would have given this 4 stars if it were a budget hotel, but it cost the same as the baymont that we stayed at last time and it was much nicer for the same money.

Room Tip: If you stay here then be sure to get to breakfast early!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing you thoughts on your recent stay with us. Thank you for pointing out what we can do better The hotel is going through constant updates and rennovations. Some items are taking longer that others. The management team and its staff are working deligently to unsure the hotel continues to be brought up to our guest's expectations and standards.

New beds & tv's are being replaced. We are finally transitioning from a standard 25" tube tv's to 32" Flat Screens. The hotel will also be going under rennovations to update and make the breakfast room bigger and more convenient and comfortable. I know this information did not help during your stay but we hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide a more enjoyable and better expererience.

Thank You.
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room we had was dirty. The sheets felt grimy and there was visible dirt and hair in the bathroom. (There were no other rooms to move to as they were all booked.) Our room was located on the first floor and right next to the vending machines. There wasn't much sleep to be had because it was so loud. We realized after we had arrived home, that we left a pair of shorts hanging on the back of the door in the bathroom. We called the hotel only hours after leaving it, to find they did not have our clothing. They said that nothing was listed in the lost and found. They made no effort to say, "we will keep our eyes open for it" or "we will check our laundry for it". All they could say was, "no one found it". Ugh. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us. I had the pleasure of speaking with you on the phone when you called about the shorts possibly being left behind.

In our conversation I mentioned that I have checked with both housekeeping supervisors, the room attendant who cleaned the room, and I also personally checked the room myself just to make sure my staff did not miss anything, and there was no shorts found in the room or behind the bathroom door.

During our conversation, you never mentioned anything about the disappointment you experienced regarding the room being dirty. I also checked with my front desk staff and it wasn't brought to their attention about the cleanliness of your room. The basis of our conversation was about the pair of shorts. If we were aware of your concerns in regards to the cleanliness of the room, my staff would have made every effort to rectify the situation regardless if the hotel was sold out or not.

My staff takes great pride in ensuring that our guests is notified right away if any items are left behind. Previous comments from past guests can vouch for that. I hope your item turns up and if we do find it here on our end we will definitely notify you.

We can't thank you enough for choosing our hotel for your stay and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide service for you and your family.

Thank You.
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on September 3 as we were taking a family vacation around Michigan. After we checked out, we did other sight seeing around Traverse City, which took most of the day. As we were headed out of town, I checked my phone voice mails. There was a call from this hotel saying the cleaning person had found a purse. I then remembered I had changed purses that day, wanting to carry a smaller one. It would have probably been days until I discovered it missing, and then would not have known where. Luckily, we were still in town, and able to go pick it up. I had emptied most items from it, but some were left and I am happy to say still all there. I want to thank the hotel staff for their honesty and notifying me of it in a timely manner. Thank you and if ever in the area again, will definitely stay there. Clean room, comfortable beds. Am not rating fitness center and restaurant, as we did not use them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are proud and happy to know you enjoyed your stay and will be looking to come back in the future. As one of the managers, we try to be selective in choosing the right staff to run an effecient and sound hotel. We strive to ensure that personal belongings that are left behind gets returned the rightful owner in a timely fashion. It was good to know that you guys weren't too far from our hotel when we discovered the item you left behind.

Thank you again for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Quality Inn By the Bay? Share your experiences!