“Simply Perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort

You added West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort to your Saves list
West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 E. Front St., Traverse City, MI 49684 (Formerly Holiday Inn Traverse City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Traverse City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Traverse City, Michigan
“Simply Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

West Bay Beach has made a major comeback since the change in ownership almost two years ago. Since the remodel and change in kitchen staff this hotel has gone from bruised to beautiful in such a short time. With it's beautiful location, now inviting atmosphere and amazing food you never have to leave the building. (And with the negative temperatures outside, who would want to!) The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the head chef is amazing. Even something as simple as a grilled cheese is memorable at this hotel. In a town with so many choices, I would recommend staying at West Bay Beach to anyone looking for the entire package.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Hunter R, Guest Relations Manager at West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hi Marie2116,

Thank you so much for the amazing five star review! It's a pleasure to hear your great experience of our food, staff, and facility. We are happy to have your recommendation and will continue to provide our highest level of service to all of our guests. We look forward to your return!

Hunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I as well as Lucy, our pet Westie loved our stay at West Bay Beach. The warm hospitality of the staff (front desk, baggage valet, Jennifer - restaurant you rock!!!, housekeeping) melted our hearts in the midst of the cold arctic blast. We love the pillows, bed, towels, etc. These little respite away from the comforts of our home made our stay worth every penny despite the fire alarm going off in the middle of the wee hours of dawn due to a water line break from the freezing temps. Customer service recovery was excellent!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hunter R, Guest Relations Manager at West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi ch3ch2,

Thank you for the five star review! We love to hear that our amazing team was able to make that connection with you and allow you to feel right at home. We look forward to your upcoming visit with us!

Fremont, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Wonderful Get Away with Great Views. Fun hotel with well trained and friendly staff. From bag helper to front desk Managers to Jennifer serving breakfast and maid service. Made for a Relaxing and Very Enjoyable visit. Also loved the Pet Friendly feel.

Room Tip: We loved our corner room with beautiful views of the bay.
Hello JohnDuncan65,

Thank you for mentioning our great staff and their role in making your visit with us enjoyable! Reviews like yours are what keep us motivated and dedicated to excellence! We hope to be your number one hotel of choice when you come back to visit our beautiful city! Have a great day,

Zeeland, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I made a long drive in inclement weather and record cold to get away for our Anniversary. I hadn't stayed in a Holiday Inn propery in years but booked after comparing similar properties. We were very pleasantly surprised that they had given us an upgrade upon arrival. When we arrived in our room with a gorgeous view, we were delighted by a card, a bottle of wine, glasses, bottled water and chocolates left by Danielle and Ashley at the front desk. It was a lovely gesture and was the beginning of a great weekend of much needed relaxation after the passing of my father in law. Despite arriving to a ruptured pipe due to the extreme cold and a fire alarm going off in the middle of the night, our room was comfortable, updated, clean and the staff was very thoughtful. I also appreciated the chair masseuse in the lobby and had a very relaxing massage. Give that girl a room to use so she can do full body massages for guests! My only suggestion is that they let guests know about the complimentary shuttle service to/from town upon checking in. We walked to dinner and back with temperatures in the single digits and a below zero windchill. The shuttle would have been much better! I can confidently say that we will be back!

Room Tip: All have a view of the bay, but the Executive King has two windows.
Hi Jennifer K,

We are thrilled to hear how our staff played such a key role in making your stay amazing! You gave us many things to be proud of and also some things to work on. We will be diligent in our efforts to be the best resort in all of Traverse City! Come back and see us this summer!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at the West Bay Resort during the Valentine's Day Blizzard. Its a great facility with good people. There are two minor things I would recommend they look at changing. the Room Lighting and the Pillows.
The lighting in the rooms is very dim. I think a lot of that is due to the LED lights they installed during the last renovation. This lights are undersized as to light output and are the "daylight" color type. they are just too blue in color and they make the room seem like a cave. I would recommend them to go with either soft or warm white bulbs with a comparable 75 watt light output.
The Hotel has on each bed both Firm & Soft hypo-allergenic pillows. These pillows are very fluffy. For me and my wife these pillows are too fluffy. They caused cricks in my neck. I called down to housekeeping to get possibly two feather pillows. They were all thrown out when they got all the fluffy pillows. We used towels in a pillow case to make due. Having some feather not so fluffy pillows would be a good thing.
I really like the Hotel. Its a great location, nice facility and good people. I wish they would make these small changes.

Hello Richard W,

Thank you for filling out a review and letting us know some things that would make your stay more enjoyable for your next visit. We will look into these two suggestions you gave. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

DeWitt, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the hotel to visit a family member at Munson hospital. The rooms were a nice size, clean, in a convenient location and very comfortable. Unfortunately it was during extremely cold weather and the hotel had a water line and sprinkler head break causing a lot of water damage. The hotel did the best they could, placing fans everywhere and opening stairwells. I think it was remarkable that there was no smell in the area we were in. During the evening the fire alarm system went off on three occasions and I had very little sleep. The staff was very accommodating however and honestly it was good to know it still worked.

Room Tip: There are not many differences to the rooms except number and size if beds.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Hi LISA A,

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience. It's great to hear feedback on how well our staff responded to the minor emergency situation! Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have the pleasure of your return visit!

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On a whim we decided to book a Valentines weekend getaway, with less than a week to plan. We would drive to Cadillac to go dog sledding, and then continue on to TC for the weekend. We decided to stay at the West Bay Holiday Inn mostly for the availability and location.

Lobby: Nice. It is recently renovated and looks nice, but it has an odd layout in my opinion. It almost looks like the front desk was an afterthought.

Check in: So, my initial impression put a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know if the check in clerk was just having a bad day (to be fair, it was a serious blizzard outside, and she wasn't too far from the door), but when she asked for a credit card upon check in, and I asked if they already had it on file because I had booked with it, she rudely announced that I had booked through a third party, and she would need that information if I wanted to stay. No big deal, but she just could have been a little nicer about it.

Hotel room: Nice. It was a clean hotel room. It looks like everything, aside from the bathroom, was recently renovated. The bed and pillows were comfortable, it was quiet, and we had good view of the water.

Food: I was a little bothered that I paid $190 (w/tax) for one night, which didn't include breakfast. I don't know how much you have to spend to get the "breakfast package", but to be honest, I am not sure the hotel is really worth that price off season without it. However, I did eat breakfast in the bistro and the waiter knew we were in a hurry, and he went out of his way to accommodate us. He was quick, efficient and helpful! He even had the forethought to bring our check out before the food! Overall, breakfast was good, but overpriced. We also ate lunch/dinner at the day club and that was pretty good! Small plates were half off during happy hour and we ordered a bunch of them. Service was quick and really enjoyed everything we ordered except for the chicken wings.

Shuttle: This hotel offers complimentary shuttles to and from town! I really appreciated this service. The shuttle driver was nice and helpful and he picked us up and dropped us off at North Peak... in the middle of a blizzard!

Overall this is a nice and clean hotel, and I would stay here again... I just don't know that it is worth almost $200 a night without breakfast, in February. Before this weekend was planned, I was looking to book this hotel for a girls weekend this May, however, I am going to do a little shopping around before I commit.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hunter R, Guest Relations Manager at West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi Danielle19828,

Thank you for writing a review with such valuable feedback of your visit! We obviously fell short of perfect service during your check in experience and I sincerely apologize for that. It was great having you and we are glad that you chose to spend such a special weekend with us! Maybe when the weather is a little nicer you could come back and visit! In the meantime, we will continue to strive for perfection in every aspect of our resort!

Hunter

Been to West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort? Share your experiences!