“location, location, great views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort

Save Saved
You added West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort to your Saves list
West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   615 E. Front St., Traverse City, MI 49684 (Formerly Holiday Inn Traverse City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a Free Night!
Ranked #7 of 38 hotels in Traverse City
Detroit, Michigan
“location, location, great views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel is in a perfect location to do all your downtown adventures. You can walk everywhere downtown for food and shops. The hotel itself is very clean and updated. The staff was friendly. Our room was on the side, but we still had a great view of the water because of the large window.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My family and I had dinner 4/11/2014 in Shimmers by the Bay. The food was amazing and service was great. I could drink the honey salsa! The fish and chips were crisp tender and tasty. After the renovation, this has become a favorite location of ours in the winter but especially the summer on the deck. Another great change is their commitment to bring in local musicians. Shimmers is becoming a serious local contender for this already amazing foodie town!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ferndale, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My wife and I took our kids to Traverse City for my son's spring break in early April and stayed here for two nights. We wanted a nice place within walking distance of downtown with an indoor pool and fitness facility and West Bay Beach definitely delivers and went beyond expectations.

When we checked in, we were told that they had overbooked the family suite we had requested (the one with the walled-off bunk bed area for kids), so they would put us in a pair of adjoining rooms for no additional charge the first night, with the suite open on the second night if we wanted. We arrived in our rooms to find them spacious, each with queen-size beds. Our boys were psyched to sleep in the biggest beds they'd ever slept in, so we decided this setup was fine.

Later that first day, my wife returned to our room to find that the female front desk staff — I forget their names, sadly — left us with a note apologizing for the oversight and a big coloring book and set of fancy crayons for the kids. What a sweet gesture!

Hotel staff were consistently friendly and courteous.

I must also recommend the restaurant, Shimmers on the Bay. We ate here practically by default on the last night — kids were tired and we didn't want to risk going out — and I frankly didn't have high expectations. But I enjoyed a very well prepared walleye filet with a pesto beurre blanc, potatoes Dauphinoise and wonderful roasted vegetables, while my wife had a good butternut squash ravioli. We were very pleasantly surprised. One interesting side note: The bar here apparently turns into quite the swinging place with the older set on Thursday nights. My wife and I both had hilariously weird exchanges in the lobby and elevator with freewheeling older women who were letting loose as the night wore on.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Zeeland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Holiday Inn four nights while attending a real estate class in Traverse City. Having lost my husband to cancer in December, it was a difficult trip to Traverse for me - full of memories and sadness. The staff at the Holiday Inn Resort were super kind and tended to my every need. I felt their care every moment of my stay. I was totally impressed. They helped me through a difficult week in a way one would not expect from a hotel. I'll always come back to the Holiday Inn West Bay. And the rooms and facility were great as well. Thank you to the Holiday Inn staff!

Room Tip: All the rooms were quiet. My room overlooked the US-31 corridor and I couldn't hear traffic nois...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am a tour operator and I brought a 30 person group to Traverse City in April. All of my tour guests loved the hotel. The staff made the check-in process effortless by having all 17 of the room keys setup ahead of time. All I had to do was grab the key packets and hand them out to everyone on the bus. The rooms were clean, quiet and stocked with modern amenities. There was an amazing gift basket in my room with a nice welcome card from the front desk. Very nice touch having Michigan Based products in it! The location of this hotel is ideal since it is walking distance to downtown Traverse City. Don't want to walk, they offer a shuttle service as well. I would recommend this hotel to any wishing to enjoy a Traverse City Getaway!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Grandville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I brought my daughter and her friend to this resort as Spring was trying to make an appearance. I liked the fact that we were able to bring our dog. Pros..proximity to downtown.comfortable beds.great breakfast.floor to ceiling window that faced the lake albeit still frozen.clean room....Cons..while trying to check in the manager in his attempt to be thorough inundated us with information that felt like a fast sales pitch.Given our drive to get there I would have preferred the short version. Resort on busy road. I would visit again. I imagine the summertime would be peak!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Colin W, General Manager at West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi Karen R -

Thank you for your recent stay at our property here in Traverse City! We are glad that, overall, you enjoyed your time spent with us.

We appreciate the feedback on your experience during check-in; we have made a note of this and will ensure we don't bombard future guests!

See you next time,

Colin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Since the moment we stepped in the door we felt welcomed. I had forgotten my bathing suit and I had wondered if the gift shop had any. They didn't but offered to shuttle me to some place that had them for sale. How nice is that!!! The pool was so nice! Not sure if it was air freshener but the pool area smelled like suntan lotion. I love that smell! It brings back summer which is a nice thought after the winter we had. We will definitely be back. Thanks for the great mini vacation!

• Stayed April 2014

Been to West Bay Beach - A Holiday Inn Resort? Share your experiences!