“Newer. Across the street from the water. Near many restaurants/activities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Traverse City

Special Offer
Last Minute Deals!
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Newer. Across the street from the water. Near many restaurants/activities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was here 2 nights for business. I paid 150ish (i don't remember exact price) discounted rate and received a 2 Queen room on the top floor near the back of the hotel.

Staff - Pleasant and helpful. The cleaning folks were quiet while cleaning in your area.

Room - slightly smaller than a typical Hampton Inn 2 Queen room. It wasn't small but it might be tight for a family with 2 kids. The room had a small desk, small closest, 2 chairs and a TV. There is no Fridge or Microwave like you find in many Hamptons. Didn't bother me but you may want to call to see if they can bring them to your room if you have a family.

The beds were new and soft. The bathroom was a a decent size with really nice tile. The water pressure was a little weak but I was definitely using during peak hours. The furniture etc was all in good shape and on the higher end side of what you would see in a non 4star hotel.

Shared Facilities - The breakfast area new, modern and very clean with lots of seating. There was also a small indoor pool in the back of the hotel with a very small gym (1 elliptical, 1 treadmill and 1 bike). I didn't go in the pool but I did see several families in it and they seemed like they were having a good time. The hotel also has an arrangement with a nearby Fit for Life gym, if you go to the front desk you can get a day pass to use the Fit for Life Facilties.

All of the common areas were clean well lit and up to date.

Breakfast - Coffee/tea was 24x7. Breakfast was the standard fare. Ham/cheese eggs, toast, muffins, fruit salad, yogurt & a waffle maker. I am sure I am missing several items but you get the idea. Higher quality than just about every HIE I have stayed at.

Business Center - they had a business center with all the amenities you would expect plus a small conference table so you could have a meeting with coworkers if needed. There was 2 computers, one of which was working, 2 printers, etc.

Location - You are directly across the street from the water but the road is really busy; 2 lanes on each side plus a turning lane. Children of any age absolutely could not cross without a parent. It took me a good 3-5 minutes to wait for the right time to cross and even then I had to jog across.

There was many restaurants, pubs, etc in the area and if you are flying right into traverse city the airport is about 3 miles away and very convenient to get too. There was a casino about 5 miles away that was very nice as well.

I was in the back of the hotel away from the traffic but you can still hear the cars. It wasn't terrible but I was near the back.

I would highly recommend for business travel. For families I would say if you are the type that want to lounge around a pool and hang out at the hotel this is not your place (my guess is the hotel would tell you the same). If your hotel is a base location to explore the area, hit the beach, etc then this is a great option.

Room Tip: There aren't any rooms with a great view so I would recommend getting a room in the back of the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here over the 4th of July holiday, so maybe that increased the traffic ... but it seemed to never stop. That being said, we CAREFULLY ran across the road several times to jump into the bay at the state beach.
Our room was small, but clean. However the mattress is very soft and the type of comforter they use bunches up so it almost looked the bedding had not been changed when we first arrived.

A varied and ample breakfast is included daily and that's very popular with the many large family groups staying there. Coffee is available all day AND with real 1/2 and 1/2!! I just wish they could find another type of serving dish rather than using so much styrofoam (which will never degrade). EVen in our room, the only "glasses" were styrofoam.

Otherwise, I'd say "give it a try".

Room Tip: NOT by the road -- ours was in the back and very quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The decision/rate: My family and I booked this hotel back in February for a fair price: $168/night for this 3-star hotel. Last summer we stayed at the Tamarack but this year they wanted nearly $400/night so we were thrilled to be able to get away at a fraction of the cost. Another pro: the Hampton has an indoor pool and jacuzzi. If it rains, our beach vacation wouldn't be ruined. We were not disappointed in the pool. It is clean, and my husband made it better by bringing a ball to play "Chipped, Cracked, Broken" with. We ended up using the pool almost every day.

The room: I think it would be ideal for a business traveler. We liked the desk, the free newspaper, the decor. My husband and I have a 14-year-old and 11-year-old. The room was clean and adequate but small so we didn't want to hang out there, we were anxious to get out exploring.
Our room (#430) had a shower/tub but the water is soft so it feels like the soap/shampoo will not come off!
The air conditioning is FAST and cold. The hallways do not seem to be air-conditioned.
We brought a cooler with us so that we could have lunch in our room (lunchmeat, cheese, berries, etc.) but hoped to transfer these to a complementary small fridge the hotel offers. We also asked for the free microwave but the microwave only worked the first few times we used it and the fridge did not keep anything cold despite being on the coldest setting. We lost some food because of it, but made the best of it and ordered pizza. Just thought you would want to know to not bother asking for it- we will bring our cooler and keep ice in it if we return. There is a microwave in the breakfast area, no one objected to letting us micro our popcorn in it.
Our view was of an abandoned golf course so we decided to keep the blinds mostly closed so we wouldn't have to look at it.
There is not a guest laundry. We had to run it to a laundromat in Traverse City.
Coffee, tea and cocoa are offered 24 hours a day. It is a nice service. I would love to offer the idea of a pitcher of ice water. Temps were in the 90's and ice water sounded refreshing and not too hard for a hotel to do. A Brita pitcher would be ideal! The breakfast was helpful. Yogurt, bagels, toast, sausage, eggs, fruit and oatmeal with toppings (almonds, dried cranberries and brown sugar.) It is a nice service. Hampton even goes beyond the free breakfast: if you are rushing out the door Dee told us they have brown bag to-go breakfasts. If I remember correctly it has a granola bar and fruit (banana?) in it. We didn't use it, but isn't that thoughtful?
Customer Service: I have to say Dee checked us in and was professional and friendly. There is also a helpful young lady at the front desk that went above and beyond by taking our picture in the lobby. It is our favorite picture! Also, Brandon went above and beyond to make us happy.
One suggestion: the soaps, shampoos and conditioners are very tiny. Next time I will plan to bring my own so that I don't have to pester the front desk. Some staff are stingy and others want to make the customer happy. I hate the tiny sizes and don't mean to come across to the hotel as greedy, but they honestly are not sized for four people who use a beach and pool every day. If the Hampton is reading this: Dee, the young lady and Brandon deserve heaps of praise for their good customer service! It is embarressing to have to ask for more of something and these three all treated us kindly.
Cookies: Around 4pm there are warm chocolate chip cookies. Monday through Thursday. This is another reason we feel the Hampton is ideal for the business traveler who checks out on Friday. We loved getting a cookie on our way to our room in the afternoon and were disappointed that the weekend we paid more for ($189/nt) there were no cookies. Probably not a big deal unless you have kids that adore those cookies!
One other reason we thought this hotel is better for the business traveler is because housekeeping knocks at 9:00am. Not a big deal when you are off to a meeting by 8am but we were hoping to sleep in and start our mornings slowly. How much you will adore this hotel has a lot to do with if you are on vacation or attending a conference. We thought it had its pros and cons like any hotel. If we are on a budget next year we would be willing to return. We love the TC area, lots to do and see!

Room Tip: Try to get the western side of the hotel so you don't have to look at a deserted golf course!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife, toddler daughter and I stayed here for two nights to go to a wedding in town. This also happened to be the weekend of the Cherry Festival and a major girls' softball tournament. The result was a room rate ($189) that rivaled some hotels we've stayed at in New York, and a very, very busy place.

The room was clean, well-appointed and comfortable, and the staff were friendly despite a stressful time. We didn't use the pool because it was too crowded. The breakfast had good variety, including fresh oatmeal instead of the sugary instant kind one usually finds at hotels. It would have been a challenge to feed that many growing athletes, and we heard the attendant tell a guest there were no more bananas because people were carrying them off six at a time. Also, the ice makers were frequently empty because there are only four serving the hotel, and guests were using them to fill up coolers.

Couple of maintenance issues: there is a room air conditioner directly above one of the side entrances that drips water on the walkway and on everyone who uses that door. I almost slipped and fell on it once. And we took at least five trips back to the front desk during our two-day stay because our key cards didn't work. We heard various explanations, including that we might have left them next to a credit card, cell phone or car keys -- but have never had a card demagnetized in all of our stays around the world. Then a desk clerk told us the keys didn't work because they'd only been encoded for one night and had expired. Finally, the fifth time this happened, the clerk wisely put in a maintenance ticket to have someone look at the door once we left.

Bottom line? This is a good hotel. We didn't get anything resembling a bargain, and I think they could prepare a little better for full occupancy. But it would be a gret choice during the off season.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed here one night for a wedding and really wish we could have stayed longer. Great location right across the beach and near all attractions in Traverse City.

Rooms were spectacular and service was outstanding--they FedExed my glasses that I forgot!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pecatonica, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was pleased with my stay. The breakfast was very good and the staff was very friendly.
My room seemed narrower than what I would expect but it was clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at this property from 23 June-26, 2012. We had a King room with sofa sleeper. Hotel is across from beach and about 10 minutes from downtown. Clean rooms and facilities. Pool and spa tub was nice. Business center was functional. Breakfast was standard Hampton fare--cereal, fruit, etc.

Rooms are in dark wood--which is rich in color and nice but it does make the room darker all around. It seems rooms on the even side of the floor are a bit brighter. Small but adequate bathroom. No tub but I am a shower person in these hotels. It was a good stay especially for access to Interlochen--where my dd is at camp. Downtown is quaint and easily accessible from hotel by car.

Room Tip: Even room numbers seemed brighter but that was from a quick look into another room. We were on 4th f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Traverse City? Share your experiences!