“Updates needed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Traverse City
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Updates needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

A fine dining restaurant is needed in this establishment and windows and/or insulation needed in the rooms and bathrooms. Freezing in the winter. Bathroom floor was fridgid and in order to stay warm in the bedroom, we needed to close the bathroom door and stuff a bath towel under the door to keep out the draft. Our room faced the bay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We would like to thank you for your recent visit and comments. The Park Place does have several updates coming to the hotel in 2013 to improve our guest's comfort and we look forward to another great year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Princeton, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I make several trips a year to Traverse City and I always try to book a room at the Park Place Hotel. It's downtown location makes it an ideal place to say to experience all that TC has to offer. Restaurants, shops, the lake, etc. are all with in an easy walk. Hotel staff is friendly and accommodating. I prefer the historic wing to the "newer" wing. The rooms are small but clean and well maintained. Definitely my favorite place to stay in Traverse City!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We most certainly appreciate your recent stay at the hotel and thank you for your review.
midland, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Te wife and I stayed one night here. We wanted to explore the downtown area on foot and this is the only hotel that would allow this. Bed was comfortable, room was average, but had everything we needed. Bathroom was dated but clean. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it was packed on Saturday night. Would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
We would like to thank you for your recent at the hotel. We hope that when you return to Traverse City, you will visit us again.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is wonderfully located in the downtown area but is in need of basic updating in the rooms. The scent of cleaning supplies was overwhelming and if you had any kind of sensitivity you might have a problem. The bathroom mirror was in need of reglazing, the wallpaper was starting to peel and the tub was beyond description as it appeared to have been resurfaced and was peeling in many spots, most unappealing. Even though we had requested a certain wing of the hotel (by phone) they had not processed our request.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
On behalf of The Park Place Hotel, we would think to thank you for your recent visit to the hotel. Beginning this year, the hotel is switching to different cleaning products, which should reduce the smell described above. All bathubs are scheduled to be refinished this year, along with other improvements to further upgrade the guest experience for our visitors this year.
Rochester Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is an older hotel but the rooms are very nice clean and updated. The shower was horrible. The water temp would go from cold to hot to cold to hot without me touching the temp settings at all. I had to dash in and out of the shower to rense off. The workout equipment was seriously from the 1980's. very used but it worked. The pool had green algae all over the base of the windows. Very gross! Not sure why management doesn't notice that and power wash it. If your looking just for a room then this is a great spot.

• Stayed January 2013
The Park Place Hotel is appreciative of your stay here and the comments written. The health club equipment is inspected and maintained on a regular basis, but due to a recent equipment failure, excess moisture in the pool area resulted in the problem noted above. This issue has been resloved and we are soory that is was not taken care of during your stay.
Vassar, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past year. Each time the rooms were dirty, with the exception of the Presedential Suite. The last time I stayed in July, I ate as I always did in the hotel restraunt, Minervas. Despite several forgivable errors. This past time, I ate in the restraunt, It was confirmed by a Pharmicist I had food poisoning, and was sick all the way home. I contacted the Health Department in Traverse City, and spoke to the Inspector Mike, who happened to be there that particular day I ate there. He said he would talk to the restraunt mgr. and call me back. I never heard from him. I also called the Hotel Manager. I kept my concerns on a positive note, however, Ms. Amy Parker, the Mgr. was rude, had an arrogant and uncaring attitude towards my concerns. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is too expensive for what filth and lack of service it has to offer. There are too many hotels on the water that are in better condition for less money with more to offer. Park Place is HISTORY not considered historical.

Room Tip: Find a newer hotel on the water that has excellant service and customer relations mean reputation, a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
parkplace1, General Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I appreciate the frankness of our guests, since it is a great way to gauge where we may have fallen short. Unfortunately, in your situation, I did not impart a feeling of empathy. So, for this I apologize. Immediately after receiving your information, we followed our procedure to investigate any possible cause of food poisoning. We went back to the dates you provided and found the chicken salad to have been fresh and no other report of illness from it's consumption reported. In fact, we did not receive any reports of illness from any of the meals we served.

We at the Park Place wish you glad tidings during this joyous season.
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My stay here was brief to be candid. The room and bathroom were both clean. And the service at the desk was very good. Hey, it is an old hotel with charm. Don't stay here if you are expecting a modern style hotel. Do stay here for the location and charm. I could see myself staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the rear of the hotel because it can be noisy in the morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
On behalf of The Park Place Hotel, we thank you for your visit to the hotel and your comments. We hope to see you next year if you visit Traverse City again!

Been to Park Place Hotel? Share your experiences!