“Service was great, room clean” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
“Service was great, room clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My son, his wife, and I stayed here for four nights. We had one of the loft-type rooms with 2 Queen-sized beds, perfect for the three of us. The room was clean and was decorated at the level you would expect from a hotel in this price range. There was a large jacuzzi tub in the room as well as two very large screen tvs. The beds are ok, seemed a little lumpy.
The staff, especially the folks at the front desk, were very friendly and welcoming. The breakfast was ok, about what you would expect, but the breakfast room was very crowded. We elected to eat in our room most of the time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
RussWCole, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Four Seasons, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Jmulia,
Thank you for taking time to share with us about your stay. Our double queen loft rooms are popular for families with kids, with parents putting the kids upstairs on the loft and having the downstairs with a large jetted tub to relax. I am delighted to hear our staff was friendly and welcoming. If you can email me at "russ@traversecitylodging.com" with your room number or last name I will look check out the mattresses. We hope you will give us another opportunity to be your host if you should find yourself in Traverse City again. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Canton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

For the money, I guess it's ok. Room has enough amenities for the average traveler, but not enough to make up for the age of the property. The cleaning and service staff were great, but you can't polish an aged property without a major overhaul. All rooms allow pets, which is noted in the smell of the rooms. Pay the extra money and stay somewhere that the experience matches the depiction of itself online.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Mary,
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. I am very sorry we let your down and I hope after our major renovation slated to begin at the end of the year you'll give us another opportunity to wow and impress you on a return visit if you find yourself in Traverse City. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.
Dundee, Illinois, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Great location. Comfortable bed. Nice breakfast and very helpful staff. At first I thought the hotel would be very tired but once inside it was very clean and welcoming. Would stay here again. Shower was excellent. TV worked and the bathroom was mold free...a very desirable feature!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Gayle,
I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to share your online review of your stay at our hotel. I am glad to read everything was to your expectations and hope you will give us another opportunity next time you find yourself in Traverse City. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.
Sylvania, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

One must keep in mind this is an older property that is considered a "2 Star Hotel"! If the hotel were to renovate they would have to increase their rates considerably. Keeping that in mind, we were not disappointed. The front desk was extremely friendly and helpful! I believe it was Carrie that both checked us in on our arrival, and out departure. Five Star customer service! We stayed in a one queen bed "suite" with a loft that had a jacuzzi tub. The main floor of the room included: one queen bed, sleeper sofa, desk with chair, mini fridge, microwave, armoire (ironing board, iron, place to hang clothes), television, and bathroom. The loft had: huge two person jacuzzi tub, television, and chair. The steps to the loft were more like climbing a ladder and extremely awkward. Anyone with any disability, over a certain age, or even slightly intoxicated would probably not want to attempt to climb. That being said, my husband and I both managed to make it up & down safely (but VERY slowly). The bathroom is more like a closet, but was functional and clean, the sink was separate with the air conditioning unit over the counter. We did not take advantage of the breakfast, we never do, so cannot comment on it at all. The housekeeping staff was friendly, and our room was cleaner than other hotels we have stayed at that had "more stars". Unfortunately, we had to cut our stay short by two days, and the front desk was helpful and understanding. The friendliness of the staff and price of the room made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LNKelly,
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We value and read all reviews as it helps us identify those areas we are excelling and those where we need to make improvements. We've listened to our guests and at the end of this year when it slows down we will be making a major renovation of this hotel with many new amenities which will allow us to continue to wow and impress our guests. Thank you also for the kind words about Carrie and the five star customer service she delivered. I hope you will give us another opportunity to be your host if you should find yourself in Traverse City again. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.
Pensacola, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Because the front desk staff was so friendly and helpful, I really wanted to write a great review of this hotel, but the property is not nearly as nice as the people. I booked this reservation after reading some good reviews and looking at the hotel website. I am always a bit leery of Best Western, because the quality can vary dramatically. I was seduced by the list of amenities on their website, thinking it would be a great property. I was wrong.

First the good things... The price was reasonable for a fairly expensive area. The landscaping was very nice. The hotel had a quirky, unique layout. I got the PERFECT pillow from their "pillow bar" AKA the front desk. There was a pillow menu in the room and I was happy to see the same kind of contoured memory foam pillow I sleep on at home and had been sorely missing on this road trip. When I inquired at the desk, they had one in stock for me. There were free snacks on the desk, which was nice. There was a nice fridge and microwave.

I can't say enough good things about the front desk staff, especially Kellie. She was so friendly and helpful. She had a local map and gave great directions to the attraction we wanted to see. She was full of helpful hints that were really great! I was impressed that she put a caller on hold, rather than interrupt her help, even asking to call the person back when our conversation ran long. She was so cheerful, always with a smile. She is an asset to that hotel.

However, on to the bad... This property is shabby to the extreme. Everything from the carpet to the ceiling and everything in between was worn and tattered. The room size was okay, but the bathroom was the size of a closet, so small that the sink was outside the bathroom in the room itself. The only thing at a distance was the toilet paper on the opposite side of the room from the toilet. I am average sized and could just reach it. The drop-in ceiling in the bathroom was poorly installed, with cracks showing and the ceiling was very low in there. But, I guess it matched the toilet, which was very low, too.

The AC unit was sticking thru the wall and, though it worked well, it was noisy. The furniture was worn. The room had crank-out windows and seemed dark. It also had a faint musty "old" smell. The interior hallway had an exterior brick wall and exterior metal stairs, leading me to believe the building had been added on to at some point in its history.

The free breakfast was rather dismal, served in a downstairs basement-like room by the pool. The lighting was bad and the fake fireplace didn't help. The food was standard hotel free breakfast...scrambled eggs, sausages, French toast, a waffle maker, cereal, pastries, yogurt, fruit, juice, and coffee. There was no bacon. The sausages were over-cooked and tough. For me, the worst part of the breakfast was the dark unappetizing room where it was served.

We didn't use the pool, which at 11 feet deep is billed as the deepest in the city. I'll leave that judgement to someone else.

This hotel does not live up to the hype on the website. In hindsight, I should have been suspicious when the only pictures on the website were of the front office and the pool. It could be a nice property with an extensive renovation and updating. With such a good location and great employees, this hotel should do all it can to improve the rooms. Unless this happens, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Let the buyer beware.
Green Features: They have recycling bins, but I noticed no other overt attempts at recycling.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TravelLover59,
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for disappointing you. Our goal is to provide a "heroic hospitality" stay and from reading your review we failed in accomplishing that goal. I certainly appreciate your honesty and for sharing about all the things were we did excel. After our busy season ends this year we will be literally gutting this hotel with an entire new interior and exterior and I hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you after the renovation. I am glad to read that we had the perfect pillow and that you enjoyed the welcome basket and other amenities. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.
Montgomery, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Spent one night here as part of a week-long visit to Michigan. The description and reviews played heavily in the decision to stay here. We arrived early and our room was not ready, but Kellie, the person at registration, checked us in and told us when our room would be ready. We talked about places we wanted to see and she was great with directions and information. She was a true bright spot in our stay! The facilities are old and have not been modernized to what we are used to at comparable hotels such as Hampton or Holiday Inn Express. It appears that the building was originally a two story building with outside corridors that someone built an addition and just tacked it on to the front. As a result, there are exterior stairs and walkways in the middle of the interior hall. The room was small and the bathroom even smaller. They had to have the sink in the sleeping area instead of in a self-contained bathroom. The furnishings were good and their "pillow bar" is a unique touch if you need special pillows, but can't bring yours along. I was also disappointed in their breakfast offerings. Their only egg option was scrambled eggs with cheese, which is tough for those of us who are lactose intolerant. It also means cereal is also not an option. Plain eggs with the option to top with cheese would have been a better choice. Overall, it was an acceptable stay, but if I were to return, I would not stay here again. Five stars to the staff, but two for the hotel itself.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ducky1776,
Thank you for taking time to share with TripAdvisor fans about your stay at our hotel. I am very sorry we failed to live up to your expectations and that we disappointed you. We are an older hotel and we work hard to keep it up to date and clean, recently putting in fiber optic connections for internet and HD on all our new 42" LCD TV's. Late this year after our busy fall season we will transform this property into a showcase for Traverse City with a major investment into the facilities. I am delighted to read that Kellie took great care of you, she is a great asset to the hotel. I hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you should you find yourself in Traverse City again after our renovation. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.
Free Soil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have stayed here twice and both times everyone was so friendly and the service was fantastic. The people that have checked us in and checked us out were Eve, Arrow, Kathy, and Autumn. They make you feel like you are going home. The rooms are nice size and clean with coffee pot, 40 inch tv, refrigerator, wifi, extra pillows and blankets if needed. The complementary breakfast is more than anyone can ask for. I am particular about what I eat for breakfast and had no trouble in finding more than enough to eat. Our first time staying during the night it snowed quite a bit and in the morning they had shoveled around our car. They go out of there way to make your stay pleasant and relaxing. The rates are very reasonable. The best and friendliest place we have stayed in Traverse City. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bernita,
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review for TripAdvisor of your stay with us and thank you for being a return guest. I am delighted to read that both experiences were to your expectations and our staff welcomed you to our hotel like family. Thank you for all the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed our amenities. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again the next time you find yourself in Traverse City. Best regards, Russ W. Cole, General Manager.

Been to BEST WESTERN Four Seasons? Share your experiences!