This is a very basic motel, with the greatest plus point being on the waterfront with its own private beach, with boat & watercraft rentals right on the beach.
To clarify, the motel is on a narrow strip of land, perpendicular to the waterfront. All the rooms open on to the outdoor hallway, typical motel style. The second floor rooms are cleverly designed to have the window at an angle (next to the front door), so you can get the beach view from your window.
- Nothing went wrong for us (as described in the previous reviews)
- Right on the waterfront, with own private beach & watercraft rentals on the beach. There is also a water trampoline in the water. Shallow water (waist-deep) and soft sand for quite a distance into the lake.
- Nice staff (and the cute Papillon too)
- Decent location (next to the State Park & beach)
- Basic continental breakfast - typical store-bought (Sam's Club type) stuff
- Wash basin (sink) outside the bathroom (pro for us anyway)
- No swimming pool . If you are thinking who needs a pool when there is a private beach, think again. This is northern Michigan. When I stayed mid-July, one day was low sixties & cloudy, the second day low seventies and third day low eighties. No fitness center either.
- Room (the 1-queen I stayed) on the smaller side
- They did not clean the room in the morning. When asked, they said if the same customer stayed on the next night, they cleaned the room only if requested. The girl apologized though and quickly brought over some fresh towels and toiletries.
- Advertised free wireless internet - did NOT work. I am an IT professional; my laptop and I have gone a few times to the other side of the world, had internet work in several cities and airports in US and internationally. Could not get it to work in this motel. I did not pursue this hard with the motel staff, since I had a wireless card also with me and that worked nicely, albeit at a slower speed.
- Telephone in the room did not work. Had a label on it saying they are replacing the phone system. Not that this is a big con, since who doesn't have a cell phone these days?
- Room somewhat noisy. Motel right on the busy US31, so can hear the traffic zooming past. The fan (on the air-conditioner unit) was very noisy, though the white noise was better than the vehicles.
- Pillow was too fluffy and did not provide adequate support.
I read the previous reviews, so was very hesitant to book here. The location (on the waterfront) at that price felt like a bargain and I thought how bad can it be, so I took the risk. I am glad I did. Make no mistake - it's no Ritz-Carlton, but it fulfills the basic needs. I guess it is priced right for what it offers.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.