“Watch out for the creepy guy behind the counter” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Traverse City
The Sands Motel
You added The Sands Motel to your Saves list
1465 US 31 North, Traverse City, MI 49686   |
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Chesaning, Michigan
“Watch out for the creepy guy behind the counter”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I found the sands motel online and thought it would be a great place to escape. When we arrived we were greeted by the desk clerk who seemed nice and well mannered. Our room was the end room on the top and the view was amazing! the room was basicly clean except for a dead june bug on the floor. The beach was clean but most of the sunning chairs were broken. We were having a great time on the water when i noticed that i was seeing alot of the desk clerk. He was down at the beach hanging out with guests and drinking. When i went up to my room he was standing at the balcony by my door, so i thanked him for the great room and told him that the motel was nice. At this point he stood in my door way and told me all the bad reviews he has gotten were fake and that someone was mad at him and recently cut his cable. He was strange but at this point still seemed nice enough. Later in the evening I locked myself out of my room and went to the front desk to get a key, I let myself in the room and returned his key to the office. He then asked me if i had a boyfriend and i said yes, i found this strange because he just saw us check in together. as i was shutting the door he yelled for me and i opened the door back up to hear him, he said "well if that doesn't work out you can come find me, i'm in room 22". I went back to my room and told my bf what had happened and he was upset. about an hour later i was sitting in front of my room smoking and he yelled something at me from the other end of the motel before going into his room. by this time my bf had enough, this was our vacation and we simply wanted to enjoy it together. So my boyfriend walked down to room 22 and the desk clerk(chris) was there like promised. My bf confronted him and there was an altercation. The desk clerk threatened to call the police and rather then dealing with anymore drama we left and stayed some where else. This motel is a cute place to stay with lots of things to do if you dont mind being hit on, stared at and partying with the creepy guy behind the counter......he ruined the whole trip):

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I traveled to Traverse City due to my Mother being Ill. An employee of a local store recomended The Sands. The Owner gave me a great weekly rate. Rooms are clean, beach is beautiful and only steps from Hotel. My mother had to be transferred to Hospice. My military pension was not due for several more days, and management had great empathy, and gave me another week and replied "just pay when yo can". Its hard to believe the negative views about this hotel. I cannot say one bad thing about the Sands. I highly reccomend staying.
The Rooms are clean, view is beautiful, and staff very attentive to my needs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

One of our best family trips we have had. The sands motel had everything to offer us. The beach and the fire pit on it was great. Close to everything aroung town that we needed. The Famiy owned motel took great care of us. We will plan on coming back to this motel. The owners are doing a fine job. The manager Chirs McCoy took care of our every needs. We would want to thank the sands motel for a very nice stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Ludington, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Had a great stay in a very comfy room. We had our dog with us for the 3 day stay and were very pleased with the staff. A good quiet environment on the beautiful beach of Traverse City.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We are business owners in the Traverse City area and have been staying here at the Sands Motel for 4 months now and have had the most womderful experience here. The area surrounding is managed and kept up in a clean orderly fashion, our rooms are cleaned weekly and when ever we need anything it is always taken care of in a timely manner. We would highly reccomend staying at this facitlity and do not understand the bad reviews, (although it was staff that has been replaced we understand.) We have had no complaints and thouroughly have Enjoyed our stay and are still here for a few mor weeks. Come Enjoy the same experience we have!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

this place is disggustingly filthy--bedspreads with numerous "stains" (you can guess what kind), and carpet so filthy you dont even want to walk on it without shoes.

if your thinking of staying here to save money- DONT. Numerous places in town much cleaner for the same or less money. Or- you can go there and puke.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Vacationers beware..........very unpleasant experience at this hotel. We stayed for one night at a rate of $149.00 (we were checked in by an employee) It wasn't until later in the evening that we discovered that the son of the owner has various rates. Use of the fire pit would have been a nice experience but we missed out due to fight between the owner's son and his girlfriend. Apparantely she does not like his bond with the female guests but the police came to save the day and another guest was kind enough to clean up the glass. I have never rated a hotel before but I felt obligated to inform the unsuspecting public about this one........

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Sands Motel? Share your experiences!