“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I really wanted to like my meal here but it just didn't wow me. We had the veggie tostadas which were good but not amazing. The grilled vegetable ravioli was overpowered by the sundried tomato pesto and felt very heavy and oily. The service was ok but not exceptional and felt like we were being rushed out the door. Likely won't return.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Harrison Township, Michigan
“They need an attitude adjustment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I can only review the service, and not the food. We stopped by around 6 on a Saturday evening, granted a busy time for dinner. After being ignored by the hostess at the hostess stand while she bussed a table, I finally got her attention and said I'd like a table for 2. Keep in mind that while I was waiting, there was only a party of three standing in the lobby waiting and several tables were empty, and just waiting to be cleaned. She said there was an hour wait, I said Ok, b/c usually it's less of a wait then they say. She seemed surprised that I wanted to put my name on the list. We ended up going elsewhere b/c of the hostess's arrogant attitude.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alpena, Michigan
“Unique Menu Choices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I were wandering around downtown Traverse City looking for a nice place to eat lunch. We glanced at the menu posted on the outside door and immediately liked the unique options! We started with the polenta fries, which were a perfect treat on a fall day. I ordered the 4-cheese grilled sandwich and mushroom/artichoke salad and was thoroughly impressed with both. My boyfriend ordered the oyster sandwich special and he was very happy! The only downside was the time it took to be served. We were eager to do some shopping and did not like having to wait so long for an order of sandwiches. The menu, however, will keep me coming back!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hartland, Mi
“One of the Gems in Traverse City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were looking for a nice place for dinner in Traverse City this past weekend and happened upon Poppycocks on Front Street.
We didn't make a reservation and were told it be at least an hour to be seated unless we wanted
to sit at a high top pub table right in the front window. We took the table and it actually proved to be a great spot to watch folks stroll by as we ate dinner.
And quite the meal it was!
Poppycocks features a nightly specials board with five different entree's, and menu that offers selections that are not typical of most restaurants. They also have a very nice wine list.
My wife had the vegetarian "Green Plate" special that consisted of flash fried temphe, sautee'd vegtables and tofu over rice. I sampled it and it was very flavorful. I had the Lamb Ragu with Fettuccini from the regular menu, and it too was excellent.
For dessert we had a chocolate mousse brownie and a blonde cookie ice cream sandwich with bananas foster ice cream and a chocolate drizzle...wonderful ! We washed all of this down with a 2011 d'Arenberg Grenace-Shiraz blend.
Pricing is about the norm for a downtown restaurant. Dinner for two with a bottle of wine, $80.00.
The restaurant isn't overly small, but most of it's primary seating are booths that seat four persons, and a few tables in the back that will accommodate larger groups, and of course, the two high tops in each of the two front windows that seat four each, albeit, rather cozy.
The place is full from 6:00 to 9:30pm on the weekends. Reservations are highly recommended. Unless you get lucky, as we did, and snag a front row seat at one the gems in TC.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Pumpkin @ PoppyCock's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friend and I stumbled upon PoppyCock's for lunch today and were met with delicious fall dishes. Neither of us are vegetarians, however, our eyes were drawn to this section of the menu because all of the vegetarian entrees looked too good to pass up.

Choosing between the acorn squash couscous dish and the pumpkin curry was tough. The server couldn't help me decide because she said both dishes were equally delicious. I settled on the pumpkin curry dish (DELICIOUS) and my friend settled on the butternut squash lasagna. Both were equally complex and the chef nailed the flavor pairings. The Pumpkin Curry had a good kick and was pureed to perfection. I only had one bight of the lasagna, but it was not far behind the pumpkin curry.

I'm so happy this restaurant can do more than just butternut squash soup. The ingredients were delightful too (crème fraîche, cilantro, basil, garlic naan, and flavored basmati rice...to name a few).

Delicious lunch in Traverse City. WILL be back for sure and I will try to replicate any of the vegetarian dishes if I can.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere