“Fantastic venue for our small-ish wedding dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #40 of 252 restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Traverse City, Michigan
“Fantastic venue for our small-ish wedding dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I planned our wedding in just five weeks. Consequently, it was a smaller wedding than we initially thought we'd have. We had a couple options in mind for our post-ceremony dinner, and Fire Fly ended up coming out on top when the pros and cons were weighed.

I have had hit or miss service in the past at Fire Fly (as is the case with most restaurants), but the servers they assigned to our dinner were fantastic! Plates were cleared off frequently, drinks were refilled as needed, and the timing of everything was spot on.

The only thing that bothered me was that there was a table of two unrelated people seated in the area that was supposed to be reserved for our party. Our reservation was for 7:30 on Saturday night. My husband, the bridal party and myself didn't arrive until close to 8, so I would've thought any "lingerers" would've been gone relatively quickly (although I'm not sure why they would've been sat there in the first place). They were still there well into our two hour dinner - which was a little awkward at points.

We had 30 people with very different tastes and everyone was able to find something they liked off of the menu we selected. The sushi was great, the hummus & pita bread delicious, and the small plates were all hot, fresh and yummy! We had specified the drinks we wanted available, but a couple of our guests ended up ordering something other than what was on our menu. I appreciate that our servers were accommodating and didn't make anyone uncomfortable or force them into a drink they wouldn't enjoy.

I've spent many a happy hour at Fire Fly over the 9 years I've lived in Traverse City. I've always been impressed by the quality of the food you receive, the gorgeous views, and the incredibly reasonable prices (on food anyway). Our wedding dinner was no different - thank you to everyone from managers, the kitchen staff and servers, who made our special night so stress free and enjoyable!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Traverse City, Michigan
“Firefly used to be our favorite. Service has truly declined”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Firefly used to be our favorite. My husband and I ate there weekly and I met my girlfriends there an additional night for cocktails and small plates.

Sadly in the past few months, and especially during our last visit, service has declined. Due to multiple incidents during an experience we had earlier this month I choose to send the restaurant manager a note. It was the complete lack of response that has caused us to discontinue dining at Firefly.

The menu is lovely, food is always good but the staff has laregely become inattentive, forgetful and lacking. It is hard to have an enjoyable experience at a place that does not value it's customers.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Coto de Caza, CA
“Awful, awful, awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I can go on and on about what a disappointment this restaurant was but I won't bore you. Food was beyond gross, service was mediocre at best, the ambiance and location are about the only thing this place has going for it. Do yourself a favor and walk across the street and have a good meal at Om Cafe.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Biff_Condor, Owner at Fire Fly, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Please bore me. Give me the gory details. jeff@tcfood.com.
Amazing that I can't see what you see. I see an amazing restaurant with a hardworking crew. Help me from being so blind. Being that you loved the Vegan restaurant across the street, did our love of meat really get you mad? tell me what you had in our hardworking restaurant that was so awful that you have to tell the world how bad you think we are.
You summer in TC? did you work in TC?
Tell me about the axe you are grinding here, please
Nashville
“Great offerings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our son who lives in this area recommended this restaurant. We arrived at the dinner hour to a very crowded place, but were seated fairly promptly even though we had been told it would be a longer wait. The food was good. My son and I split the 'small plate 3/$33' and a salad which was plenty of food for both of us. My husband had the pecan crusted walleye which was very tasty. Would enjoy returning.

Visited September 2013
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The outdoor patio near the river was great, but that was the only good thing about it. We sat on the patio for lunch, then waited a long time for someone to come out. The young waiter was courteous enough, but you could tell he didn't want to be there. He rushed us when we were ordering, then we waited a long time for our food. The menu was mediocre. My husband ordered a pulled pork sandwich, which was way too sweet. I couldn't get excited about anything so I ordered the soup & sandwich combo. By the time we got the food, nothing was hot and the soup was tasteless. The server didn't come back to our table, and we had to track him down to get iced tea refills. I can't recommend this place to anyone: poor food and bad service. But at least it had a lovely patio with a river view.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Biff_Condor, Owner at Fire Fly, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review Firefly. It is always difficult to take reviews from all different kinds of people without knowing who they are or what their expectations are based on.

Nevertheless poor service is poor service. I am very sorry to hear about having that experience in my restaurant. The manager on duty has no excuse for not ensuring that your service was up to par. I am an Iced Tea drinker and hate to have to wait/ask for my Iced Tea. I am very sorry about that.

The poor food comment is very dissappointing to hear from you. We are known for our Sushi and Small plates. Our menu is very extensive, in fact too extensive if anything. Our biggest selling items are General Tso Chicken, homemade Potstickers and our Seafood fondue. So for you not to find anything exciting tells me that you may have been in the wrong type of restaurant for the food you normally like.

It is hard when someone gives a scathing review when I know all the hard working people that are trying to make a living at Firefly. If the young waiter doesn't want to be there, he is screwing it up for a bunch of families that depend on the success of all their efforts at firefly.

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience. I wish you the best.