“A Taste of the South Up North in Michigan” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, Hamburgers, Fish & Chips, Soups, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Windsor, Canada
“A Taste of the South Up North in Michigan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Old fashioned comfort food at is best is what you find at the Cottage Restaurant in Traverse City Michigan. Added to all the comfort foods are Southern Style touches like fresh made biscuits, authentic grits, sweet potato fries and sauteed spinach in the style of collard greens. They do a great job with steaks, BBQ ribs and prime rib. Seafood is seasonally available and we have seen excellent perch, pike and whitefish. They sometimes have a hearty Beef Stew served over biscuits. Traverse City is the cherry capital and they make a black cherry cobbler that is to die for. Service is fast cheerful and efficient. There are several hotels close enough to walk over for breakfast and you will enjoy the steak and eggs. If you want something a little lighter you can make any combo of eggs any style with ham, bacon or sausage. Health focused customers can order a veggie omelette or egg white scramble. Blueberry cheesecake pancakes and French toast are good and feel free to add the wheat toast to any breakfast. Its home made style and delicious. If you're looking for comfort food with a taste of the South The Cottage Restaurant is for you.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

68% Recommend
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Liked it so much we went back the next day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Traverse City and found this restaurant near our hotel. We had dinner Saturday night, March 2. Our food was excellent. The service was great. Our server was very friendly. We enjoyed our meal so much, the next morning we were looking for a place and decided to go back. My husband had the breakfast buffet. The food was delicious. Again, our server was very friendly and the service was great.

• Visited March 2013
Battle Creek, Michigan
“They do it right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We loved the Cottage Cafe at it's old location just down the road, but the newer location and building is wonderful! Recently we visited with 6 of us on a Saturday morning for breakfast. We explained that we were on limited time. No problem here! The food was served quickly and it was hot and it was good! The server was terrific and paid attention to us, taking great care us all of us. This place is clean, nice and caring. The food is always good when we come here. Highly recommend the Cottage Cafe for breakfast particularly. They just do things right.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious, Homey and Accomodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to The Cottage and I was exteremly impressed. As soon as you walk in the door you are greeted with a smiling face. The waitress greeted the table with a jelly-glass full of water and asked how we were and if we had dined with them before. She walked us thru the menu and took our drink order. She made the best hot cocoa. After a few questions, we decided to order the Chicken Club and a Classic Reuben. The pretzel bun on the club was great! Soft and warm. The corned beef on the Reuben was cooked perfectly. We later found out they cook it there! Needless to say, we will definitely be returning.

Traverse City, Michigan, United States
“THIS IS SUCH A GREAT RESTAURANT!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was a very inviting environment! I walked in to see a warm fireplace and a very friendly staff! I was also pleased with their prices. I enjoyed an All you can eat perch dinner for $15.99 and it was the best fried fish I have ever eaten!!! I started out with a cup of potato soup that Had bacon, green onions, and cheese on the side so that I could fix it the way I liked it.....excellent soup!!! My friend had the Hashbrown casserole which had ham, bacon, onions, peppers, and cheese in it and was served with eggs on top however she wanted them cooked. She said it was soooo good that she insisted I try it.....I must say it was also delicious!!! I loved that you can get breakfast any time of the day!! The server was very nice, friendly, and attentive. The owners of this restaurant mingled with the guests and made themselves very available. I am looking forward to trying more of their food in the future....although I think that the perch is going to be extremely hard to top!!! I may have found my new favorite restaurant!!!!

• Visited January 2013