“Wonderful customer service!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florence
“Wonderful customer service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I needed to get away without the kids for a few days! It was freezing, but what do you expect with Michigan in April! Room was nice, clean, updated mini kitchen, fabulous views! Upon checkout I asked my husband if he had everything and he said yes. About an hour into our drive he realized he forgot his wedding band! He called the hotel and he told them where he left it. They immediately went up to our room and found it! About a week later he had it in the mail. We appreciate everyone there! Very friendly and quick to help. We will be back this April 2015-and hopefully we will remember everything!

• Stayed April 2014
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Good day!

Thank you for your stay and your time in reviewing our hotel. I'm glad you had a great stay and that we found your husband's wedding band! Goodness!

Have a great rest of July and come visit again soon - fall color season is sneaking up on us (Mmmm... apples!)

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a room on the second floor facing the bay. There is a king size bed and a sofa sleeper in the room that worked out great for three of us. This room has three televisions. One in the master,one in the living room and one in the bathroom!
The room was very clean. They also provide a very good breakfast, there was usually a hot meat such a sausage patties or links. Save your money and try the breakfast.
They have a small beach, but it was too cold to go in the water.We used the indoor pool and the hot tub.
We had some problems finding it with our gps. There is a Walgreens right across the street so we used that address. I also suggest a visit to the visitor center which is several miles away. They have a very good map that will help you navigate the area. Also pick up a traverse city tour book there.It is a good listing of what is in the area.
Have fun!

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor facing the bay.We had room 212and it was perfect.
Green Features: They do have recycling bins one the first floor for paper and bottles. They also suggest that you conserve linens,such as towels and bed linens.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Bob!

Thank you so much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to get some time around the Traverse City area. The suggestion on visiting the Visitor's Center is great! They have wonderful information and many seasoned locals who know a great deal about the area.

Have a wonderful summer and I hope you come visit again soon.

Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The hotel seeks to be a resort destination on its own. It is a nice beachfront property, but as tourists interested in a couple of days getting to know Traverse City itself, we made the wrong choice with Cherry Tree Inn. There are also more negatives to the place than one would expect from a new upscale hotel. If you’re staying a while you’ll enjoy indoor and outdoor pools and other activities and amenities on the grounds. There is a shuttle to distant downtown Traverse City, but not wanting the inconvenience of having to meet it at a certain time for a return trip, we drove there ourselves. Somehow almost every nice thing about the hotel is offset by a negative. For example, we were impressed by the lakeview balcony, which is inset into the building and completely private, but there is a children’s playground below. So much for quiet. Our room was large and comfortable (21 x 13 ft.), but the noise transfer through a connecting door to the adjacent room is terrible, particularly when the neighbor is engaged in long, raucously loud Skype conversations that were really none of our business. This kind of infrastructural flaw should simply not exist in a hotel purporting to be of high caliber. A portion of the lake front vegetation has been scraped away and lined with rows of lounge chairs to form a sort of faux-Riviera spot, but when it began to rain heavily one afternoon, it quickly turned into a mudfield. The hotel advertises “kitchenettes” in all its rooms. This is a big stretch. There is a microwave, a fridge, a sink and a coffee maker. There is a cabinet containing two coffee mugs, but no other dishware or glassware of any kind, and of course no utensils. By this measure, 90% of all accommodations in the country have “kitchenettes,” but few would call it that. So we sat on our balcony enjoying the lake view, listening to shrieking children, and drinking our wine from coffee mugs. Check-in was a bit of a hassle, because two well-meaning but inexperienced young women stood next to each other at the front desk, one of whom was shouting into the telephone in a lengthy attempt to take a reservation. It was so difficult trying to speak to her colleague, that I finally told the clerk I would sit in the lobby and wait until things were a bit less chaotic before I checked in. (The lobby, however, is beautifully furnished and very pleasant.) The quality of the staff is very uneven. The next day I spoke with a different desk clerk who was professional, polite and knowledgeable. The stay includes an elaborate buffet breakfast in a bright, airy room, but the woman working there declined to say “good morning,” and it was clear that it was not a good morning for her. But I saved the best for last – there’s a small TV mounted on the ceiling of the bathroom, visible from the tub. This gives a whole new meaning to “Teletubbies.” Nice try, Cherry Tree, but we won’t be back.

Room Tip: Maybe all rooms have lake views, but if not, definitely request one.
Green Features: I appreciate the hotel's re-use of linens and towels.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Good evening!

Thank you for your stay, though, I'm sorry that you were so disappointed with our hotel and that we gave you the wrong impression of our property. While our property with 18 different room types and two buildings can accommodate everyone from the honeymooning couple to the large family reunion, we certainly don't mean to make our hotel seem like we are a couples-only hotel. Our main focus is family friendly with exceptional, cherry-ific service.

On the west end of our beach area, we do offer a kids playground for families with little ones to enjoy. I'm sorry that the sounds of the children or the Skype conversation you overheard from anther guest were upsetting to your relaxation on your balcony. We can note your profile for future stays, so we can look at rooms that are farthest away from the playground or in secluded areas that have less other guest rooms around it - like our Harbor Springs Suites, which our top-floor penthouse suites in our second building. They tend to be very quiet for those, like yourself, looking for the perfect R&R in Traverse City.

I'm terribly sorry that we have had a bit more rain this summer than normal. We do groom our beach regularly each day, but the rain has caused some delays in that. We are happy to have the warmer drier weather in the forecast and we've been working hard to help get the rain puddles on small portions of our beach dried up.

In regards to the kitchenette, very few hotels in the area offer an area that has a microwave, fridge, sink, cabinet, and coffee maker in an area that's not in the middle of the room. While there are many definitions and visions of a kitchenette, we are proud to offer something more than just a microwave on top of a fridge in a corner or the middle of the room like you would find in many hotels across the country. And in regards to glassware or place settings, we would have been happy to run a couple wine glasses to your room so you could enjoy your wine more comfortably. We do have many other rooms types that have expanded kitchenettes that do offer place settings for four.

I do apologize for the poor check-in process you experienced. I am addressing this to ensure all of the team members are super helpful and going beyond for all guests they see, hear, meet, and more!

I'm not sure if you didn't like the TV in the bathroom or not. While some find it odd, just two reviews prior to yours loved the TV in the bathroom. When we considered not offering them as we redo our bathrooms over the next few years (we completed 11 suites so far and have more planned this fall), we asked our followers on Facebook and our guests in the hotel what they thought and we were overwhelmed by those who were adamant about having TV's in the bathrooms. Thus, we now have new mirrors coming that have "vanishing" TV's installed in them. It's a much classier and professional look for our guests that we're proud to offer.

Thank you so much for your time and your consideration of our hotel. While I hope you come and enjoy Traverse City again, I very much hope you give us another try and see the difference between what we offer our guests compared to other hotels in our area. This doesn't excuse the poor service you experienced from some staff. We'll fix that and I know you'll have a better experience in the future.

Have a wonderful summer!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Overall clean. Definitely showing age and wear!! Continental breakfast. SCARY. Sour milk, old fruit not fresh, yet was under ice. There were yogurt cups not under ice and hard boiled eggs in a bowl not under ice either. Could be potential health violations Dried up Coffee cake cut up in cubes. Had a Pancake mix (not under ice) and skillet One toaster for about 30 people waiting. That was about it for choices for continental breakfast which we found not maintained, staff trained in food service or managed well.
Did not find staff that great - Just humdrum! No eye contact - no welcome
Great location. Good beach. Did not have lake view which we knew when we booked...We look over roof tops and a/c units, for an outrageous cost.
We are seasoned travelers with over 1,800.000 with Hilton Marriott and holiday inn properties.
For the price - Not worth it!!! Even if we had a lake view

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Good day!

Thank you so much for your review and bringing your concerns to our attention. I have addressed the breakfast items you mentioned right away. It is our standard to follow all safe food practices and all of our braekfast attendants are put through SafeServ certification courses for property food handling. All items you mentioned should always be on ice as they are served in containers that are specifically designed for that (the waffle mix is in a container where the ice packs sit under the mix and out of site of our guests). I am sorry for this presentation and I'm sorry that you didn't care for our complimentary breakfast. We do offer a variety of breads (bagels, English Muffin, cinnamon swirl, raisin), ready-to-make waffles (two flavors - like strawberry, cinnamon, and blueberry to go along with original flavor), cherry topping, whipped cream, warm syrup, coffee cake, hard-boiled eggs, fresh cut fruit, fresh whole fruit, a variety of yogurts (cherry vanilla, peach, strawberry, strawberry-banana, and raspberry), a variety of hot and cold cereals (Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Frosted Mini Wheats, Rice Krispies, Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, Cocoa Puffs, and another 5 or six other varieties), a variety of juices (orange, apple, cranberry, and lemonade - well, maybe not a juice but quite well liked), a variety of coffees from Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company including cherry coffee, a variety of Tazo teas (8 different flavors), and then either biscuits and sausage gravy, sausage and egg patties, or sausage patties and rosemary potatoes. I'm sorry that this selection didn't fit your likes and I'm really sorry that the presentation of it wasn't better. I assure you that won't be overlooked or acceptable for any future day for our guests.

I apologize for the staff not being more welcoming to you either. I will address them on that. While we receive many kind compliments for reviews on Tripadvisor and other sources, there should never be a moment when they are not "on stage" for all guests. I do apologize for that lack of service you experienced from them.

I'm sorry that you didn't care for for the price of the room and it's location. We certainly work hard to create a value for our hotel compared to similar beachfront hotels in the area. I think you'll find when you compare that no other hotel has the amenities we offer in the setting that we offer. We certainly didn't provide you a perfect stay, and I'm very upset about that disappointment to you. If you would like to contact me to discuss further on how I can make this right for you, you are welcome to email me at jpack@cherrytreeinn.com or call me at 231-778-9001. Thank you and have a wonderful summer. I hope you come visit again and see the better experience you should have received.

Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

As others have said the pics on the website do not do it justice. Our room(s) was a suite, which included a living room with TV, bedroom with TV and bathroom with, you guessed it, a TV!!
WOW, that's a first for me. We also had use of refrigerator and microwave, and a safe for valuables. The view from the balcony was priceless. The beach was groomed each day, and everything put back in place. The two pools and jacuzi's, inside and outside, were SPARKLING CLEAN, very inviting. The bedding and pillows were oh so comfy. The breakfast was ample and had two different hot items each day,along with many other items, however there was no attendant to wipe off tables in the dining room, we had to do that ourselves. Please visit the downtown for some of the best, unique shopping around, and we always go to Sleders bar for great food and ambience. We will definitely return if we are in the area, and will be telling our friends about this great motel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor beachfront has great views of the beach and bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Good evening!

Thank you for your review and your stay at our hotel. It's great to read that you had such a great time enjoying our clean pools and many amenities we love to offer. Glad you loved the bathroom TV, too! The remodeling that we are doing is moving the bathroom TV's into the mirrors of the bathrooms - we have our first eleven rooms (our luxury suites in our second building) scheduled to have the mirrors arrive sometime this week or next. We'll post pictures of them on our Facebook page when installed!

Have a great summer and please come visit again - the fall is GREAT for apple season!

Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent the 4th of July week at Cherry Tree Inn. Often when you see pics, you're not quite sure if the hotel will live up to them. This is one hotel that the pictures do not do it justice! From the staff, to the suite, to the cherry pie in the room (that was delicious), to the gorgeous well manicured beach - the Cherry Tree had it all. Despite having children right next to our room, you could not hear a thing through the walls. The morning breakfast was delicious (blueberry waffles with cherry topping) and the coffee was always fresh and ready throughout the day. At the end of our stay, we booked next year! Can't wait to go back to the Cherry Tree Inn.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Good evening!

Thank you so much for your time and your stay. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during 4th of July week. Not sure if you checked in on the 4th, but if you did, I hope you enjoyed the complimentary cherry pie we gave all guests on the 4th!

I'm glad the weather worked out so we could groom our beach each day of your stay and I'm pleased you noticed how quiet our rooms our with our concrete construction.

I hope you have a wonderful summer and we'll be happy to welcome you back next year!

Jonathan P
Leonard, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

It's often difficult to tell from photos exactly what you are getting. The Cherry Tree Inn was not only updated, clean, and welcoming, the hotel caters to customers with little extras like umbrellas for borrowing by the door, robes in the closets, room safes, and coffee/tea/cookies/cucumber water any time of the day. We loved the view from the balcony and enjoyed the outdoor fire pits at night (wood for sale at the front desk). With outdoor and indoor pools, a small beach and playground, as well as an ample breakfast, the Inn has everything one would want.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a water view room if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Good evening!

Thank you so much for your kind review. I always get a thrill when I hear guests who notice all of the "small" extra things we do to help our guests. Many don't know that on July 4th, we gave cherry pies from Grand Traverse Pie Company to each room in celebration of the start of the Cherry Festival. We always want to do the little extra thing for our guests to make their stay and comfort levels better. I hope you have a great summer and do come visit again. Please let me know if you need anything more from us.