“Great property and staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Traverse City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great property and staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed here in January 2014 for a Saturday night at a great rate compared to others in the area. Great location on the bay with a beautiful view. Rooms are very spacious, beds comfortable. Deluxe toiletry products. The outdoor hot tub was fun in the winter. They also had indoor hot tub and pool, although pool was a bit small. Breakfast buffet was well stocked, but extremely crowded in the relatively small room, although I assume it was a packed night and fully booked. Staff was excellent--- allowed us to have a late check out, called after checking in to make sure everything was satisfactory, opened up the outdoor hot tub. I even saw them brushing snow off guest's cars in the parking lot after a big snow storm. My complaint about the room was that we were on the first floor and our room window looked into the enclosed pool area. This made it quite loud in the room and hearing screaming children in the pool area until it closed at 10:30. There seemed to be a few rooms that were unfortunate enough to have a window to this pool area. Other than that, everything was excellent.

Room Tip: You pay more for views of the bay, but may be worth it to avoid pool area and see a gorgeous sunset...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Good day!

Thank you so much for your stay and for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you enjoyed so many of our amenities. Our focus is always provided five-star service for our "select-service" hotel. From brushing off cars to offering suggestions on the area, we want to help our guests enjoy their time in our hotel and around our area as much as possible.

I do apologize that you didn't care for the pool-view room. Only four of our seventy-six rooms have pool-views. You can till get the same pricing on rooms that overlook the roof of the pool or our parking lot if you like. Of course, you can pay just a bit extra if you want a water-view room as well. With eighteen different room types, we can accommodate almost every request. And if we have a room that we find out you don't like, we will note your profile in our system so we can steer you away from those rooms in the future.

Thank you again and have a wonderful.

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I were at the Cherry Tree Inn and Suites in December 2013. We were in a couple of different rooms, one of which was the penthouse suite. Both rooms had a fantastic view of the bay via the balcony, as well as a 2 person jacuzzi tub, with a fireplace in the room. We loved this hotel! The staff was extremely attentive and courteous. We were especially excited to learn they offered a free shuttle service both to and from the hotel to the downtown Traverse City area, as well as a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning of our stay. Did I mention that when you book your stay during the winter months, the first night is full price, but the second night is half off? :-) We would absolutely stay here again! Thanks Cherry Tree Inn and Suites for making our weekend getaway a great one!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Good evening!

First, thank YOU for staying with us. Second, you're very welcome for helping make your your weekend getaway a great one. That's just so wonderful to read and know that we did everything right to not add any stress to your stay so you could really enjoy our hotel and the area. I'm glad you enjoyed our Half-Off Special that's available through most of April (there are some periods that it's not available). It's a great special for our guests wanting to have fun in Northern Michigan!

Thank you again and have a great day!

Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at the Cherry Tree for two days the rooms are spacious and clean the service is impressive. They have an indoor pool, breakfast in the morning. We will always make the Cherry Tree our Inn when we come to Traverse City. They also have an outdoor pool and an outdoor hot tub as well as a beach.

Room Tip: They do not have a restaurant but they do have morning Breakfast.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Good January day!

Thank you so much for your return stay and I'm really happy to see that the service was "impressive" for your stay. I'm glad you came and saw us in the winter. Have a wonderful January. I'm sure we'll see you again soon.

Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We reserved a block of rooms for a hockey tournamentin the area, and overall we were all fairly pleased. The staff was polite and friendly; the rooms were clean. On the second floor there is even a very nice common area with a nice view of the bay. The only complaints we had as a group was that a few of our children were scolded for "not being under parental supervision." I would understand if, at the time, our 12 and 13-year-olds were acting like normal children acting like normal children of that age, but they had just come out of one of the rooms and were quietly walking to the aforementioned common area where the parents had congregated. They were actually in full view and supervision of 15 parents. Other than this minor indiscretion, or stay was quite nice. I would like to return in the summer and take advantage of the hotel's beachfront location.

• Stayed November 2013
Hello!

Thank you for your recent stay. I hope the hockey tournament went well for your team. I'm glad you enjoyed our staff, the cleanliness, and our second floor breezeway. I do apologize that there was an instance of the staff being too tough with your group. I will work with them to not be too quick to judgement and make sure they see and understand what's going on better before they may a decision for a sports team group.

I hope you do return this summer and visit again. Have a wonderful beginning of the year!

Maybee, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The location was nice, hotel was nice but no better then a holiday inn, our room was the lelenau suite it was big, but had a hole in the door, stains all over the bathroom door cracks all over the ceiling, which isn't a big deal but for a Friday night we paid $200 and it most DEF was NOT worth that.

I booked on booking.com and realized later I had a AAA card, so I called the hotel directly to see if it was to late to use the discount, the man was very polite asked where I booked and said there would be no problem, I got to the hits and was told no we can't do that, when I told her I spoke with someone directly at the hotel who said I could, I was told we'll he is wrong, and that was it.

Overall I want pleased with this hotel, it's nice but not nice enough for what it cost, we will be back to TC but will not stay here, for sure.

• Stayed January 2014
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Good afternoon!

Thank you so much for your stay, and I'm terribly sorry for the poor condition of the room and the poor service you experienced. I have addressed the service issue with my Front Desk. For reservations that are booked through channels other than our own website or our Front Desk, we don't offer our specials and discounts. However, since the Front Desk associate you originally talked to told you he would honor it, we should have stuck with our firm believe in the "customer is always right" and given you the discount. I do apologize we didn't follow that well, but I know we'll do better in the future.

In regards to the condition of the room, I do apologize that our preventative maintenance was poorly done and the room was not to yours or our standards. While we do plan to do complete remodels of these suites (including wonderful bathroom renovations), the room should have been better prepared for your and any guest's arrival. I will communicate with my maintenance team to make sure that appropriate maintenance is being done.

Thank you for your stay and I do appreciate your review. I hope you do reconsider staying with us in the future as I know we can and have done better. Have a nice January!

Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for Christmas while visiting relatives in the Traverse City area. We’d stayed there before for Christmas a few years ago and when we were trying to decide where we wanted to for this visit, there was only one choice.

Nicely situated on the east bay, the Cherry Tree Inn is a refreshing, relaxing, pleasant hotel with many amenities. The lobby is cozy, with a fireplace room to your left as you walk in and the Sweet Shoppe to the right, which stocks a few sandwiches, soft drinks, and frozen goodies, along with a couple tables for sitting down to relax. It also carries a few souvenir and sundry items.

The enclosed pool area is right off the main lobby, and through its many windows offers a view of the outside world. The pool area is kept very clean by frequent staff visits, and the temperature of the hot tub is very welcoming in the cold winter months. For those who prefer to sweat their way to warmth, there is a mini-sauna, also.

They offer a breakfast in the mornings that is better than the average hotel breakfast offering, and the sitting area is next to the pool.

The lake side of the hotel affords a great view of the East Arm of Grand Traverse Bay and a of the Old Mission Peninsula. There is a playscape and a beach, as well as an outdoor pool and hot tub as well (not very visited on our Christmas Day visit…)

There is a very nice breezeway that connects to two buildings the comprise the Cherry Tree Inn. Located on the second floor, there are windows the align the breezeway that look to the street and out toward bay. The carpeted breezeway is a relaxing, comfortable area that has vending machines, tables and chairs for sitting reading, dining, gaming (board or card, not video), and, since it’s that season, a very nicely decorated Christmas tree.

The staff is always very pleasant and very willing to help. Since we were there for Christmas, they even had a list of restaurants in the Traverse City area that were open on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day, as well as the hours they were open. A VERY nice touch.

I can’t say enough great things about this hotel. We’ve stayed at many different lodging locations in Traverse City, but for our money the Cherry Tree is at the very top of the list.

Good afternoon!

Thank you so much for your kind and thorough review. I'm really happy to see you noticed and enjoyed so much of your stay in our hotel. We have a lot of great features in the hotel for relaxation, play, and more. And we are always working on more ways to enjoy our hotel when you have exhausted all of your energy during the day in our beautiful region! :)

I hope you have a wonderful start to the new year and that we have you return again soon. Thank you!

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed for a weekend at the end of December and it was very cold and snowy in Traverse City our entire trip but our room was warm and cozy! The room was very clean. The fireplace was wonderful. It runs on a timer which was a pro and a con at times. Nice if you leave and forget to turn it off but bad when you have to keep getting up to turn it back on. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only real negatives are that the elevators in the hotel are very slow and the breakfast room is quite small for the number of guests in the hotel. We were able to get a table on the first day of our stay but had to take our breakfast back to our room on the second day. They have a nice breakfast though with a lot of choices.

Green Features: I liked that they had a card in the room that asked that if you would like to recycle (bottles, newspaper, etc.) to please leave those items next to the trash cans and the housekeepers would recycle them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Good cold January day to you!

Thank you for your kind review and especially for staying with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, especially the warm and cozy room and our clean hotel! Thank you for noting your concerns regarding the speed of the elevator, the size of the breakfast room, and the timer on the fireplace. I will keep all of them in mind as we move forward in ways we can improve our property. We are working on plans for the elevator and the breakfast room. In regards to the timer, we do have it on there as a safety feature, but we'll see if we can do any adjustments to make it stay on longer.

I hope you have a wonderful day and please come visit again. Thank you!

Jonathan P.

Been to Cherry Tree Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!