“Best Stay on the Bay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomington, Illinois
“Best Stay on the Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the Cherry Tree Inn for Christmas while visiting relatives in the Traverse City area. We’d stayed there before for Christmas a few years ago and when we were trying to decide where we wanted to for this visit, there was only one choice.

Nicely situated on the east bay, the Cherry Tree Inn is a refreshing, relaxing, pleasant hotel with many amenities. The lobby is cozy, with a fireplace room to your left as you walk in and the Sweet Shoppe to the right, which stocks a few sandwiches, soft drinks, and frozen goodies, along with a couple tables for sitting down to relax. It also carries a few souvenir and sundry items.

The enclosed pool area is right off the main lobby, and through its many windows offers a view of the outside world. The pool area is kept very clean by frequent staff visits, and the temperature of the hot tub is very welcoming in the cold winter months. For those who prefer to sweat their way to warmth, there is a mini-sauna, also.

They offer a breakfast in the mornings that is better than the average hotel breakfast offering, and the sitting area is next to the pool.

The lake side of the hotel affords a great view of the East Arm of Grand Traverse Bay and a of the Old Mission Peninsula. There is a playscape and a beach, as well as an outdoor pool and hot tub as well (not very visited on our Christmas Day visit…)

There is a very nice breezeway that connects to two buildings the comprise the Cherry Tree Inn. Located on the second floor, there are windows the align the breezeway that look to the street and out toward bay. The carpeted breezeway is a relaxing, comfortable area that has vending machines, tables and chairs for sitting reading, dining, gaming (board or card, not video), and, since it’s that season, a very nicely decorated Christmas tree.

The staff is always very pleasant and very willing to help. Since we were there for Christmas, they even had a list of restaurants in the Traverse City area that were open on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day, as well as the hours they were open. A VERY nice touch.

I can’t say enough great things about this hotel. We’ve stayed at many different lodging locations in Traverse City, but for our money the Cherry Tree is at the very top of the list.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Good afternoon!

Thank you so much for your kind and thorough review. I'm really happy to see you noticed and enjoyed so much of your stay in our hotel. We have a lot of great features in the hotel for relaxation, play, and more. And we are always working on more ways to enjoy our hotel when you have exhausted all of your energy during the day in our beautiful region! :)

I hope you have a wonderful start to the new year and that we have you return again soon. Thank you!

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed for a weekend at the end of December and it was very cold and snowy in Traverse City our entire trip but our room was warm and cozy! The room was very clean. The fireplace was wonderful. It runs on a timer which was a pro and a con at times. Nice if you leave and forget to turn it off but bad when you have to keep getting up to turn it back on. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only real negatives are that the elevators in the hotel are very slow and the breakfast room is quite small for the number of guests in the hotel. We were able to get a table on the first day of our stay but had to take our breakfast back to our room on the second day. They have a nice breakfast though with a lot of choices.

Green Features: I liked that they had a card in the room that asked that if you would like to recycle (bottles, newspaper, etc.) to please leave those items next to the trash cans and the housekeepers would recycle them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Good cold January day to you!

Thank you for your kind review and especially for staying with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, especially the warm and cozy room and our clean hotel! Thank you for noting your concerns regarding the speed of the elevator, the size of the breakfast room, and the timer on the fireplace. I will keep all of them in mind as we move forward in ways we can improve our property. We are working on plans for the elevator and the breakfast room. In regards to the timer, we do have it on there as a safety feature, but we'll see if we can do any adjustments to make it stay on longer.

I hope you have a wonderful day and please come visit again. Thank you!

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this place for about a week for Xmas. It was our first time stay at this place and we just loved it here!

We didn't know what to expect but after we enter our room, we soon knew that we made a great decision of staying here! People there are friendly, and our room was surprisingly large and clean!
We have the bay view room and the view was great, I am sure it will be better in the Summer time :)
It is a lovely hotel and very good if you are travelling with families!

The free breakfast was tasty and they have cookies served at the Front Desk in the afternoon, so yummy! They also have a small playground outside, not so much for the winter but they have the heated pool and hot tub on the first floor.

We truly enjoyed our stay there and if we are bring a family back next summer, we will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed at the two queen beds room, Elk Rapids and the number is 514! Loved it!
Green Features: Go Green! They placed the "Notes" in your room so you can let them know when to change the towels, bed sheets or even let them know to recycle the paper! I see the efforts that they are trying to put into the work and I am very proud of them ;)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Happy New Year!

Thank you for staying with us through the holidays. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I'm so glad that you found our staff to be friendly and you enjoyed your long stay so much. It's nice to see that we are doing the right things every day (as you saw through your long stay) and not just one or two days in a week. We really enjoy our jobs because we enjoy helping our guests.

I hope you had a safe trip home and the winter weather didn't slow your plans too much. We look forward to greeting you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I spent a full week here during a trip to Traverse City in December 2013. This is a lovely property and I highly recommend it. It's extremely clean and everyone I encountered was very friendly. The free hot breakfasts each morning were tasty, and hot coffee was available 24/7 in the lobby. (The cherry coffee was outstanding!) Although I had chosen one of the less expensive rooms, it was surprisingly large with a refreshingly high ceiling. The kitchenette with microwave and fridge was a big plus. The view of the bay from the walkout patio was exceptional although it snowed all week and limited my visibility across the bay. Other amenities include the indoor pool and jacuzzi, and a sauna (although it was out of order). I would not hesitate to stay again at this excellent property. LOVED IT.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Happy New Year!

Thank you so much for your stay and for writing a review to help others. I'm glad you found our hotel to be clean and the staff to be friendly; that's the way a hotel should be - always. I apologize for the sauna not working though. I will look into that and make sure it's properly cared for by my maintenance team.

I hope you have a wonderful January and we'll be happy to welcome you back once again in the future.

Corunna, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the two bedroom suite with our adult daughter. Very comfortable with a living room and kitchen. Just like an apartment! The staff was wonderful and very helpful. Great location for our needs. We will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Good day!

Thank you for your kind review and thank you so much for being our guest. It's nice to read how much you enjoyed our Cherry Tree Family Suite. That room does have a good design for a larger family - the full kitchen is a plus, too!

I hope you have a wonderful new year and thank you again.

Troy, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stayed in the family suite which was incredibly roomy for 5 of us. It was fully outfitted with a kitchen and dining room. It was nicer than some apartments. Friendly service and clean rooms were great. A little bit of a drive to downtown but not bad. I would stay there again with family or a group.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Good December day!

Thank you so much for your time to write a kind review of your stay. We're very fortunate to have you as our guest, and I'm happy you enjoyed our friendly staff and clean facilities. We'd be happy to welcome you back.

Have a merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!

Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 15 year anniversary at the Cherry Tree Inn this past weekend. Although we've been visiting the area for many years, it was our first stay at this hotel. Our room was on the second floor with a large picture window overlooking the indoor pool and hot tub area. Unfortunately, the noise from the pool area echoed right up into our room and was extremely loud and we could not relax which was the whole point of our trip. The staff did accommodate our request to be moved which we appreciated b/c I know the hotel was full. We were moved to a great room on the 5th floor which was quiet and relaxing. The hotel was very clean, the staff was helpful and friendly, and the breakfast was tasty. The little "extras" were a nice touch and we truly did enjoy our stay at this hotel - it was one of the nicest. Thanks to the Cherry Tree Inn for a great visit, we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms with a window overlooking the indoor pool are very noisy.
Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Good morning!

Thank you for your stay and thank you for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize that the pool view room didn't work well for you. They can be a bit noisy during the pool hours (8 AM to 10:30 PM each day). But I'm glad we were able to accommodate you and get you happy. I'm happy you enjoyed all of our extra touches as well.

Have a wonderful December and Merry Christmas!

Jonathan P.

Been to Cherry Tree Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!