“Very nice hotel, but not for us” 2 of 5 stars

Tripadvisor Special
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Midland, Michigan, United States
“Very nice hotel, but not for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We travelled with two adults and two children, one who stays in a crib. When I booked the stay I told the agent of this fact and we still wound up with a single king bed in a very tiny room. The "crib" they offered was just a pack n play, which while serviceable, wasn't as nice as the real deal offered by other hotels (who charge much less per night). This issue would have been rendered moot had we been given a lake view room, but unbeknownst to us we were placed in a handicapped accessible (read, no bath tub) "courtyard view." Unfortunately, the "courtyard" is just a window looking into the indoor pool, having a first floor room made this spot kinda awkward because we didn't feel we could leave the blinds open without a serious invasion of privacy. Functionally we had a windowless room. Also, the pool is open until 10:30 p.m. So we wound up listening to the noise coming from the pool well past when our kids would have otherwise gone to sleep. These things would have been easily dismissed if I hadn't been so explicit during booking that we have small children. The two pools, the breakfast, the beach, playground, and amenities make this a great stay given the right room, sadly it wasn't the case for us. Next time we'll know what to ask for.

Room Tip: Demand a lake view, the courtyard is just the indoor pool, it's noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Good evening!

Thank you for your review. I apologize that we mislabel our pack and plays as cribs. I will look into ways we can improve those amenities for the families traveling with small children.

I'm sorry you didn't care for the room type that you reserved. We do label the room on the confirmation as a handicap accessible and as a pool-view room. While we do have 17 other rooms types through the hotel, I'm sorry that more rooms weren't available at the time you reserved so you could have reserved a water view room. I'm glad that you enjoyed all of our other great amenities, and I hope you do return and simply are able to reserve a room type that would work better for you and your family.

If you need any help reserving in the future, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you so much!

Jonathan Pack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Northville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Cherry Tree during the Traverse City Film Festival. As it is a family-owned establishment, you can tell they want you to feel at home and take pride in their "little slice of heaven". While the hotel isn't in downtown proper, it is very close. Our room was clean, had all the amenities you could possibly need and more. We didn't go to the beach, but it looked nice and well groomed. I guess the real question is, would we go back to stay at the Cherry Tree? Yes!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review! I'm glad you found our hotel to be so comfortable for your time enjoying the Traverse City Film Festival. We're happy to be a sponsor of the festival and to help our guests get to the films (there are so many!) with our complimentary shuttle service. I'm glad you also enjoyed our beach and our amenities.

I hope you have a wonderful August and come visit again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Good - Located on the bay with nice views. Room is large and the staff is friendly. Not so good - The bay view is diminished by the near constant road noise from trucks and cars that whine from across the bay. I sat out on the balcony until 11 pm and still heard the constant noise from cars. The room was priced at approximately $320/night...not cheap but ok for a suite. It was pretty old and tired looking overall. The carpet was old looking, the wallpaper was very dated, the bathroom tile needed re-grouting, and the shower was dated looking. The master bed (king size in a separate bedroom) was comfortable enough but the pull out sofa was terrible. The sofa itself was worn and had a tear in it, and the mattress was really awful. I don't get why they don't just put a bed in the room because it is large enough to accommodate a bed and a sofa. And, the staff never folded up the sofa during the day so there was really no place to sit, unless you wanted to lay on the bed. Overall, the condition of the room was just not up to expectations for a $320/night room. We called the front desk for extra pillows and blankets (it was chilly at night) and the staff seemed very reluctant to give us more, stating that there should have been two pillows and a blanket in the room. There were, but my kids like more than one pillow and we needed the extra blanket for warmth. We insisted and they did give us another blanket. We also returned to our room one day at about 5pm, only to find that the bathroom had not yet been cleaned and refilled with fresh towels. We contacted the front desk and were told the cleaning staff was gone for the day. The manager on duty did bring new towels to the room and hauled off the old ones, And, the hotel gave us the room for 1/2 price that day which was very generous of them. But, given that this place is ranked #2 on tripadvisor, it was surprising that the quality of the room and housekeeping was so poor. Bottom line for me, I think the room should have been in better shape and that there should be a little higher level of service at this price point. And, I prefer a location that is a bit quieter.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, be sure to have a bay view, otherwise you are looking out at a busy s...
Green Features: Nothing to note except standard practice of asking customers if they wanted towels/sheets washed daily.
Hello!

Thank you for your recent stay and for your time in writing a review of your stay. I apologize we didn't meet your expectations in regards to our service and the rooms quality. We are planning our next set of renovations for this fall/winter. I will be sure that your comments are taken into consideration.

I have addressed the housekeeping items with my team and I apologize that you felt we were protective of pillows. We only check with our guests if they found the extra pillows in the room that we have placed in them only because many times they are overlooked. We're always happy to provide extra pillows and amenities to any of our guests. I truly apologize if that wasn't the most helpful service-oriented answer that you wanted and we'll work better to provide higher levels of service as we normally provide and are noted for.

Thank you again for your stay and I do hope you return so we can provide you a better stay that you and I both expect.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our family reunion was held at the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites. The location was awesome, and the rooms were nice and clean. The staff was extremely nice and helpful with directions. Most of the rooms were overlooking the beach area. The scenery was breath taking, quiet and relaxing. All of our family were impressed. My husband and I definitely plan to visit again next year, maybe for an anniversary, birthday, or just because. In fact some of our family booked rooms for next year before they left. If anyone is looking for a really nice hotel this is it. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't choose a 1st floor room unless you don't mind people going to the beach passing by ear...
Good afternoon!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. Your review put a lot of smiles on the Cherry Tree Family's faces.

We'll be happy to help you celebrate your next big occasion. Thank you!

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Check in was weird. we arrived prior to 3pm check in and room wasn't ready. Totally understandable. We left and came back at 3pm. They said room wasn't ready - another 15-20 minutes, so we waited. 20 minutes later, I went up to the desk again and they said another 15-20 minutes. I said we were just told 15-20 minutes 20 minutes ago, and she smiled and said, yes, it will be another 15-20 minutes. no apology. weird. I asked, so isn't check in at 3? They said it's "guaranteed after 3pm". I'm not really sure what that means. So really they are okay to check you in anytime as long as it's AFTER 3pm??? That seems like ordering a pizza and they tell you they guarantee it will be to your door in "at least 30 minutes". But they did come out as we waited to tell us we didn't have the best rate and they would reduce it to a lower rate. Okay, I'm suddenly fine with the wait.

Staff - Consistently friendly and helpful.

Room - HUGE! So terrific to have that much space on vacation. I think I've had smaller apartments. Though large, it was awkwardly laid out. The bathroom was enormous and yet no privacy to the toilet. The entry was long and narrow like a bowling alley. Definitely needs updating in terms of décor, though better than the pictures. Bedroom bed was super comfy. pull out couch not so much. Jacuzzi and fireplace were great amenities in room.

View/beach/water - view was really beautiful. Balcony was nice. Beach wasn't the sugar soft sand of the downtown area. And the water wasn't as pretty. Though the sand bar was fun to walk out on .

Other amenities - Coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby all day was such a treat. The workout room was really small - 2 pieces of cardio equipment and weights, but I was always able to get on a piece of equipment in the morning. Breakfast was crowded and awkward, but edible and a variety better than most continental breakfasts at hotels. The onsite laundry was very helpful. The hotel is one of the farthest from town (4+miles), so the shuttle service was very nice. They were very gracious about its use.

Overall it was a very nice stay.

Room Tip: we had a 4th floor suite and it had a very nice view
Hello!

Thank you for your kind review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to notice and enjoy many of our amenities like the workout room (I hope you liked our new Matrix equipment. We are expanding the exercise room this fall), the breakfast, and our shuttle service.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the suite - it is quite large. We are planning on some great updates of the decor to those suites coming this fall/winter, so be sure to check back to our website and our Facebook page for updates on that. I think everyone will really like them

Thank you again for your kind review and your stay. I hope you have a nice rest of August and come visit again soon - always something going on in Traverse City!

Carmel, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was one of the best maintained hotels we've been in. The hotel was in great shape and very clean. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Their website also mentions their concrete construction of the rooms, and you can tell... exceptionally quiet. The only downside was the beach... It has a very small area for access to the water. Otherwise, Cherry Tree was excellent!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jonathan P, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Good day!

Thank you for your review and your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel so much and especially our friendly and helpful staff and quiet rooms.

I am sorry you felt our beach was small. We have 400 feet of waterfront access. The top is 400 feet wide and 50 feet long. Then the bottom section is split into two 200-foot sections. One section is protected by federal and state restrictions and must be natural grasses. However, we groom and maintain the other 200 feet to be nice packed but fluffy sand. We put our many high-quality beach lounge chairs and cabanas out for our guests to enjoy and we even have room for 2 fire pits. We have even more room for guests to enjoy a game of beach volleyball if they desire. We are continually maintaining and working inside the law to use the most of our water frontage as possible. I'm sorry that our area wasn't satisfactory to you.

Thank you again for your stay and have a wonderful rest of the summer. I hope you come visit again soon.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've never written a review before but thought I should start seeing I depend on other reviews when making travel arrangements. I really wanted to like this hotel but like the review title, it was just ok. With how much we paid a night, I really expected more. The decor was dated despite what I heard about the hotel having recently undergone a renovation. Our room was on the first floor and was a walk out, which with a toddler was very nice. However, we were also next to the hotel's main beach entrance so would hear the door slam and people talking at all hours. The beach sand was very rocky and not the nice sand I am used to on the eastern shores of Lake MI. Although we had limited need to talk with front desk staff, our few interactions were of a positive nature. We really appreciated being allowed to check in an hour early in order for our toddler to have a much needed afternoon nap! So with that said, we still had a good time in Traverse City (how could you not in such a beautiful location), but for our next TC trip, we'll be looking at other lodging options!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Good afternoon!

Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you are doing one for the first time. I'm sorry that we didn't exceed your expectations and I'm sorry you felt our decor was dated. We did update the paint and wallpaper in our rooms and hallways. We also did new drapes, bedding, carpeting, beds, artwork, technology (HD TV's with HD channel programming, iPod/iPhone/iPad docking stations), coffee (Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas) in all of our rooms. I'm sorry that you felt the look looked dated. As we continue to do more and more improvements (more starting this winter), we'll keep your comments in mind.

I'm sorry you felt our beach sand was rocky. It is traditional Lake Michigan sand - in fact, we just had the entire beach sifted of large rocks, waste, and weeds that can be there from spring. This is the first time I have ever heard that our beach was rocky, so I will look into that promptly and make sure that there is nothing that I am missing regarding our beach.

I'm happy you found our service to be great and that you had a good time in Traverse City. I hope you do try us again in the future, and I feel you won't find the same amenities at any other hotel in the area.

Jonathan Pack

Been to Cherry Tree Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!