“Cherry Tree Impression” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Cherry Tree Impression”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife,son and I went to Cherry Tree Inn and Suites the second week of June of 2012. It was our
first time vacationing in the area. It was a good thing I traveled with a map and did not rely solely on the gps unit that I borrowed,because the unit was not able to get me there by using the address of the inn.
When we arrived we were greeted by a young lady named Kalee who was very nice and cheerful. Upon entering the room one of the first things I noticed was some rust that was on the doorframe of the bathroom. Other than that I was pleased with the way the room looked.
We had a very nice view of Grand Traverse Bay from our patio door.
During our stay the staff was helpful in accomodating our needs. I believe we ended up staying for four nights. Cookies were made available once a day during check in time which we really appreciated.
One thing I did not like was that the traffic where the inn was was very fast in my opinion. I think the speed limit should be lowered for the area, as there were other lodgings and businesses in the immediate area.
We liked the selections of food that were offered for breakfast also. I met a lady named Sandy that set up the breakfast one day. She was very pleasant and helpful.
Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Good day!

Thank you so much for your recent stay and your review. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and I know Kaylee and Sandy will be thrilled to see that they helped you out.

We will certainly take the necessary maintenance procedures to make the room more presentable when guests first enter. And we agree on the speed limit, but we're glad we at least have a traffic light in front of our property to help guest get in and out easily.

Thank you again. Have a wonderful end of September.

Jonathan P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed several nights and have mostly good things to say: clean room with pillowtop mattress; flatscreen TV in bedroom, small TV in bathroom; good breakfast; chocolate chip cookies at check-in, coffee service in lobby; great staff.
Minor quibbles: too many tables with tall chairs in breakfast room, hard to sit on; also bad layout of food service in breakfast area; no folding luggage holder in room, so have to find place to put suitcase; room had large empty area where a small sofa would have been good.

Room Tip: Take a beach view room .
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello!

Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our service and the extra touches we provide. Thanks for sharing your suggestions. We are working on plans to improve our breakfast room flow and area, and I am also working on putting luggage racks in all of our rooms next year. Currently, our dressers are designed for resting a suit case on (they are low and hard surfaced).

Thank you again. Have a wonderful rest of the year. Please do come visit again.

Northville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had a plumbing issue the morning of the last day of my stay. They were more concerned with the issue than with helping me get my belongings either to my car or to another room to take a shower. No one offered to help me with my things and the entry way was flooded. I am lucky I did not slip and fall. When I asked for a partial discount on just the last day of my stay since I was inconvenienced, my leaving was delayed and I lost valuable time that I did not have, I was treated as if I inconvenienced them. When I sent a follow up email after getting home, I was told that I had delayed informing them of the issue. I called immediately. I find it rather rude to treat a customer this way. The manager is obviously young, inexperienced, unprofessional, immature and unaware that you do not treat customers this way. I will never stay at the Cherry Tree Inn again! Not worth it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Sarah P.,

Thank you for your recent stay. I would like to clarify some details of the issues you experienced during your recent stay. I apologize you weren't satisfied with the way the Cherry Tree Family handled the toilet issue, and I apologize that you weren't satisfied with my decision in not offering you a discount for what you experienced.

Our team responded well and quickly when you first notified us of your clogged toilet, which we found had been flushed so much that water had flowed out of the room, into the hall, out the exit door by the room, into the stairwell door, and out the other exit door in the stairwell. The toilet was in proper working condition, but we had not been notified when the toilet first became unusable and it was flushed multiple more times which caused the flooding of the bathroom and the area outside of the room. When my maintenance manager first arrived, he was able to clear the toilet and then communicate to the Front Desk immediately that you would need another room for you to finish preparing for your trip home that day. We quickly opened up a room for you to use and our maintenance manager offered a couple times if you would like our assistance with your luggage and belongings across the wet floor and carpet and you refused his offer each time.

While you were able to finish preparing in the other room we provided, we cleaned up the water and started our cleaning process. Upon checking out, you had asked me for a discount for the toilet issue. I decided not to provide one because it was an issue that could have been prevented had we been called when the toilet was first clogged. In subsequent emails you sent me you had expressed your displeasure with my decision and noted you would be providing a very poor review of your stay on Internet sites.

I truly apologize how everything unfolded and I wish we could have satisfied you with the prompt service we provided and offered when we were first notified of the troubles. We never want someone to be unhappy with their stay regardless of what happens. I do hope you have a nice rest of the year and I hope you are able to come and enjoy Traverse City in the future.

Clinton Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We should have written a review years ago, we have been coming here for over three years now. This is by far our favorite place to stay in Traverse City. We love the view, the beach, the clean and comfortable rooms and of course the brand new, salt water outdoor pool. We always get a late check-out so we can get an extra day in the pool or beach. We love the fresh fruit and cucumber water available in the lobby daily, and the cookies at the front desk. Our seven year old daughter loves the pirate playscape. Our rooms have always been clean. We stayed in a newly renovated room over Labor Day, which we loved. We look forward to all the rooms being renovated in the future. We love the new hallway decor and carpet. But we still have a soft spot for the Elks Rapids Studios after all these years. We are staying again this weekend as well, and as always look forward to a wonderful stay. Bottom line, this hotel is consistently clean, comfortable and accommodating, it's the only hotel up north I will recommend.

Room Tip: We have always stayed in a room with a bay view, highly recommend. This visit will be the first time...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review, and we're happy to have you as our return guest. We like learning more about you and finding out what we can do to help make your time in Traverse City better.

We did just complete the new bed linens in all of our rooms and the new Starbucks coffee is now in our rooms as well. We received our new artwork (all black and white shots of cherry orchards, the Old Mission Peninsula, the Grand Traverse Lighthouse, the Sand Dunes, the State Theatre, and the vineyards). We'll be happy to have those installed in the rooms soon!

Thank you so much again. We'll be happy to see you again and we wish you a wonderful September.

Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife, 3 month old daughter and mother-in-law all stayed at the Cherry Tree the week before Labor Day and we had a great time there. We stayed in one of the newly renovated first floor suites, and while not overly large, it had a large flatscreen TV in the living room and bedroom, nice stainless appliciances in the kitchenette, and a great view of East Grand Traverse Bay. The location of the hotel is great, it's only about a 5 minute drive to downtown Traverse City where all the fun shops and restaurants are, and has a great spot along the lake shore. You can literally walk out half a mile into the lake before the depth is too deep to stand, and the water is amazingly clear. The bottom is also firm sand with no weeds at all, so I spent most of my days in the water enjoying Lake Michigan.

The staff at the counter was very friendly, although not as helpful as I was expecting when we asked for recommendations for wineries in the area. But we typically like finding our own stuff to do so it wasn't a huge deal. The included breakfast was pretty good also, definitely plenty of choices and more than enough food to fill you up. I was up early every day with the baby so I was able to get in there and eat before it got too busy. By 9:30-10 am it's pretty busy, but it always looked like there was at least 1 table open.

The only reason I didn't give the Cherry Tree a 5 out of 5 rating was because of the AC in the room. There is only a single AC unit in the living area, and there is a switch in the bedroom that turns on the blower to circulate the cold air into the bedroom from the living room. Well the blower sounded like a 747 during takeoff so it wasn't usable, and the bedroom got a little stale during the night. We asked the front desk to take a look at it when we checked in, but nothing was ever done about it. There was a ceiling fan in there however, so we didn't make a big stink about it. But other than that we really enjoyed our stay and would absolutely stay at the Cherry Tree again. The room was a little pricey, but we needed a suite because of the number of people we had staying with us. If you have any questions about the Cherry Tree or Traverse City in general, don't be afraid to ask. Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: Definitely go with the renovated rooms, they have nice flatscreen TVs and updated kitchenetttes!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed our Walloon Lake Suite First Floor Remodeled. All of our rooms feature the flat-screen LCD or Plasma-screen HD TV's, but this particular suite (like all of our room that have "remodeled" in the name) features the expanded kitchenette, which has a larger stainless steel refrigerator, two-burner cooktop, granite countertops, and place settings for four. It's nice to have that when you are planning to make a few meals yourself during your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed it. However, I do apologize for the air conditioning design of this suite. We have nine other rooms that were designed like this, but the remaining 67 rooms we have are better designed and we have no issues with the air conditioning set up. We are working on a solution to make air flow to the bedrooms better.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the water - it is remarkable how wonderful the sand and the clarity of the water is. And I promise to work with my Front Desk team on their ability and knowledge on the area's activities like wineries, restaurants, activities and more (they've already been quizzed twice since you first posted your review).

Thank you again for your review. I wish you a wonderful fall!

Madison, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

All was good at the Cherry Tree until the 3rd night of our stay. I was walking into the bedroom of room 112 and saw a black snake slithering underneath the bed. Needless to say we were not going to spend the night in the room after seeing that. The front desk clerk finally let us move to a 3rd floor room - which she wanted to charge us extra for. I could tell she did not believe there was a snake in the room. No apologies were offered. I learned a lesson from this: not to stay in a ground floor unit at water's edge. I would have rated this property very good except for the way this incident was handled.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear RunAdventures,

Thank you for your stay, and I must sincerely apologize for the way your concern was handled. It was alarming to us as we had never heard that concern before. Regardless, the guest is always right and that's how it should have been handled. I will be honest (as I always am), too; we did find the snake - a 12" very small garter snake - scurrying across the wood floor near our 1st floor elevator area. It was very much a shock to me, who took the liberty of picking it up and placing it back into it's natural habitat - no, not our hotel! We suspect this is a one-snake incident and have found no evidence of anything else in any areas of the hotel, including rooms, storage areas, warm places (like laundry area), and other obscure places.

I do very much apologize for the way this was handled, and I apologize even more for me not contacting you directly after the incident. That is not normal of how I handle guest concerns when I understand them. I will absolutely (and have already) work with my Front Desk on handling all guest concerns better. I will be contacting you shortly to apologize over the phone as you deserve. Thank you again for your stay. I am glad you enjoyed everything else of your stay, and I do hope you try us again. We will do better.

Canton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed in one of the Leelanau suites. We were on the first floor, so our patio was right on the path everyone was taking to the outdoor pool. I would recommend requesting a second or third floor suite if privacy on the porch is important. The layout of the room itself was nice. I liked the fact that the bedroom was separate from the main room and the bathroom, so if you stayed with someone sleeping on the sofa bed, everyone would have privacy. I was disappointed by the mold growing on the bottom of the bathroom door, and the screen door was ripped, but otherwise found the room to be clean and nice. The only light really bright enough to read by, however, was the light by the small table. The ones by the couch were way too dim, and the ones by the bed were barely passable for reading. It was quiet, and I never heard my neighbors.

WiFi was decent, but not great. (Signal was never really stronger than Fair in our suite.)

Just due to their location and they way water levels have been lately, you have to go out a really long ways to get to water deeper than ankles, but the beach is clean and well kept.

Breakfast was overcrowded and pretty disappointing. We stayed for two nights and did not bother going for breakfast the second morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Good evening!

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the size and privacy of the suite. I apologize for the screen door and the bathroom door presentation. I will be sure to have our maintenance team take care of those items and we'll work on doing a better job at our preventative maintenance tasks.

I'm glad you did enjoy our beach, but I'm sorry your weren't able to enjoy our breakfast. We offer it from 7 to 10 AM and it can get quite busy at times. I'm sorry you didn't feel you could comfortably enjoy our breakfast. We are continually looking at ways we can make our breakfast and all areas of our hotel more comfortable for all guests' wants and needs.

Thank you again for your stay and your review, and I hope you have a nice end of fall.

Jonathan P.

Been to Cherry Tree Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!