“Great first time visit!” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3575 N US Highway 31 S, Traverse City, MI 49684   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Traverse City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great first time visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Having been to the Dells,Kalahari, and pretty much every other water park resort, we have always been reluctant to try GWL. The only reason being is that we did not think it would be big enough or entertaining enough. We were pleasantly surprised!
We chose Traverse City because it is less than 3 hours away. We arrived at about noon and were able to check in AND get our room! We stayed in a KidKamp room and the kids had their first bunk bed experience. They loved having their own little area, which was just as clean as the rest of the room. The room was average, but with the high ceilings it felt much bigger. Everything seemed clean-no issues with that. My only reason for giving 4 stars was the fact that from 8-1130 pm we had to try and get to sleep with lots of loud door slamming,someone above us having fun jumping down from a bunk over and over...and loud voices in the halls. We sort of expected this and were thankful for the fan on the heating unit to drown it out a little. When I booked the room I did ask for an upper level but we were on the waterpark level.
As far as the waterpark goes, it was smaller than we are used to, but very enjoyable for my 9 and 5 year old. I didn't feel like they would get lost, we easily found each other if we split up, and they were able to go on everything. The slides were perfectly fun and we took turns going in the "adult" hot tub to warm up. This tub is great--steps up and away from all of the commotion below :) We loved the fact that there was a warm tub for family too. It was a Saturday and busy, but not so busy that it drives you crazy.
We also played a little in the arcade, which was a decent size..but ran out of time to do anything else because we were leaving early due to a big snow storm. SO glad we were able to squeeze in a little time away before school kicks in again and we will most definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I am glad that you decided to give Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City a shot! Our themed suites are a huge hit with our guests as they provide a unique stay experience. Our Housekeeping and Guest Services staff work tirelessly to ensure that every room meets our standards and is done in a timely manner. That way, our guests can get into the room as quickly as possible and start enjoying the lodge.

For your next trip, I would recommend reserving a Wolf Den Suite as those can be found on higher levels. Our Guest Services team will then do their best to accommodate you!

Since you enjoyed your stay at Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City, you should look into visiting our other locations that offer larger waterparks and similar amenities! I believe the closest one to you that would fit the bill is our lodge in Mason, OH (just outside of Cinncinatti). Their waterpark is over twice the size of Traverse City and they both offer similar amenities in the rest of the resort.

We cannot wait to host your family again!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Wyoming, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We came for an overnight to GWL as a gift. We had been to another "waterpark resort" which was a very disappointing experience so this was such an amazing improvement. The waterpark was so very clean, the lifeguards were attentive but not strict, the slides were a blast, and there were enough activities to keep my 11 and 9 year old boys (as well as their father, the biggest kid of all) busy for well over 8 hours. We had dinner from the little food counter inside the waterpark and the portions were a good size,

We did not do the magiquest game, given that it would have been a lot more money just to let the kids play it. I think that when you pay that much to stay somewhere, a family shouldn't have to pay another $50 for the kids to play a game in the hotel.

The rooms were very clean and spacious (we had a family suite) but one of the beds was extremely lumpy and my husband slept horribly. Also, the light on the fire alarm blinked brightly all night, keeping my 9 year old awake for hours. My other son slept well on the sofa bed though.

We visited the restaurant for breakfast. The breakfast buffet was the best I think I have ever had during a hotel stay. So very good.

We stayed to play in the waterpark for the second day after checking out and had a blast again, except that for a resort this size and expensive, I would have thought that the changing rooms would be big enough for several women to change at the same time. It is also inappropriate to not have a family bathroom in this day of age. I had to change while there were four and five year old boys standing right next to me. That is really gross.

Even though there were a few drawbacks, it was a very fun experience and my kids had a wonderful time. If we ever won the lottery, we would love to come back for a stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City! We love being able to provide family friendly fun for our guests. For your next trip, I definitely recommend trying MagiQuest, especially given the ages of your children. If you want to save money on this and other activities at the lodge, I recommend purchasing a Paw Pass, which bundles several amenities and activities at a discounted rate.

I do apologize that your husband was unable to get a good night's sleep! This should not happen again, as we have been looking into upgrading our bedding, but if it does, our Guest Services team is happy to assist you.

Luckily, you do not have to win the lottery to visit us again! Now that you have stayed with us, you are automatically entered into our system to receive exclusive repeat guest promotions directly to your inbox that can help make that return trip more affordable.

I hope these tips will serve you well on your next trip and we look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We just left from a little family getaway from here. I can't say enough about the pleasant staff, amenities and overall cleanliness of this resort. My kids are 7 & 8. The indoor water park area was perfect for their age. The MagiQuest activities were really entertaining and they loved the ice cream shop. We ate in the hotel bar and grill. The food was good. I had a the blue cheese steak salad with balsamic dressing, it was a satisfying meal. The kid meals were rather small. Next time I would opt for adult meals for the kids. They were incredibly hungry after swimming for a couple hours. My daughter unfortunately came down with the flu during our visit, so we had to leave early. The front desk was extremely understanding when we asked to check our early, and we were not charged for our last day. It was really a great experience otherwise and we will definitely be back to finish our trip in the future.
One tip, there is a Meijer next door. Our room had a fridge, so go there and stock up. The vending machines and bottled water was way overpriced.

Stayed December 2013
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
I am glad to hear that your family had an enjoyable stay at Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City! I am very sorry to hear that your daughter got sick during vacation (never a worse time!) but am very happy to know that our Guest Services Team was accommodating for your family.

For your next visit, be sure to look into our Paw Pass which includes most of the extra activities at a discounted price! I think it will be a great value for your family.

We look forward to your return visit!

Windermere, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We recently visited the great wolf lodge for the second time and had a wonderful experience from the time we clicked to reserve all the way through check out. Every touch point leading up to our stay was perfect and the smiles and genuine care and concern for our family by every employee we met was over the top. We had a great time with two kids ages 1 and 9 and will definitely be back. Always something new to discover!

Stayed December 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words! It is very rewarding for our staff to receive such a glowing endorsement and recognition from our repeat guests. Our promise is that we will make time for your family and I am happy to say it looks like we kept our promise.

We look forward to hosting your family again soon!

Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We come here every year with our kids ages 13, 9, and 6. The little kids like the Magiquest wand hunt and we all have fun on the water slides. We don't usually eat on the property -- we go out -- as it's a little expensive. But as far as an all around family vacation in the winter, it's spectacular. Rooms are great, clean, quiet, very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge - Traverse City! Our Mission Statement is to create family traditions, one family at a time. Thank you for making Great Wolf part of your family’s annual tradition. I am sure by now that you are all Master Magi and know the best way to play the game.

I was wondering if you have been told about our Wolf Wakeup Breakfast Package? It comes with the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, a beverage and gratuity included at a discounted price. For your family, that would save you an average of $20 each morning!

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf and we look forward to your future visits!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

In November 2013, my significant other and I had the opportunity to visit Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City with a friend of mine and her two kids - ages 11 and 18. We had an absolute blast and would love to go there again if we had the chance. (My friend's daughter is in college, and she had just as much fun as her 11-year-old brother did.)

We didn't arrive at the resort until 11 p.m. on a Friday night, so the check-in process was quick and pretty easy. Our room on the 3rd floor was very nice. We went with a Family Suite (two queen-sized beds plus a pull-out sofa bed in a separate area of the room. The room was clean, comfortable, and very nice overall. We slept so well!

The indoor waterpark is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Three of us (myself, my significant other, and the 18-year-old) got up a bit earlier to have breakfast in the main restaurant: Camp Critter Bar & Grille. The restaurant wasn't terribly busy, but the service was pretty slow. No major complaints though, because we weren't in a huge hurry. The food was good. Before we went to the restaurant, we stood by the window to the waterpark and watched the 9 a.m. opening ceremony that the staff do with the kids. It's pretty cool.

The waterpark itself is a lot of fun. Lots of fun water slides and other activities, and you don't have to be a kid to enjoy it all. (Plus there is an adult-only hot tub where you can get away from the rowdiness of the kids for a little while.)

The resort in general is neat because, in addition to the restaurant/bar, they also have a Dunkin' Donuts, a gift shop, an ice cream/treat shop, arcade, and lots of other activities for kids (storytelling and more).

The check-out process on Sunday was easy and painless.

All in all, we all had a fantastic time and would love to go back again if we had a chance. It's just that a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge is pricey, so be prepared to spend a lot.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the extensive and complimentary review! It sounds like you had the ideal Great Wolf Experience while you were visiting our location in Traverse City. For your next visit, be sure to keep an eye out for promotions that are sent through e-mail as well as ones that are posted on our website for savings on your room. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Great time at the wolf lodge. This is our 6th year there. We love the holiday theme and all the activities. Great family short get away.
Fun for all ages and very moderately priced. Make your reservations today. My kids say the park rocks! Have fun!

Stayed December 2013

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!