“Everything is bigger at Great Wolf” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   3575 N US Highway 31 S, Traverse City, MI 49684   |
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Traverse City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Big Rapids, Michigan
“Everything is bigger at Great Wolf”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

It is true that you sometimes get what you pay for. While the price is high to stay here, it has so much more to offer than any other hotels around. We stayed in a Kid Cabin Suite with three adults and three children. There was plenty of room for everyone. The rooms were nice, clean, and updated.

Unfortunately, because we were staying there as a part of a soccer tournament, we didn't get our money's worth at the water park. So if you are spending the extra money to stay here, be sure you are going to be able to take advantage of everything the hotel has to offer.

The water park was great. The kids loved it. The arcade is huge and has lots of games to keep kids occupied out of the water park.

Only two complaints. I called a few days before arrival to add one adult and one child to my suite. Jeff, who I talked to, said no problem; just make sure to check in together and let them know when we got there. The young lady who checked me in was going to charge me $30 extra. Good thing I've developed a backbone in my years, because I informed her of my conversation with Jeff and him saying wouldn't be a problem. She had to ask a manager; who in turn informed her because I had reserved a 7 person suite, I shouldn't be charged any extra for having 6 people in the suite. Not a huge issue, but I was a bit put off by it.

Second issue was a wad of black hair in the corner of the bathtub and the wall. Kind of gross.

We knew enough ahead of time to bring our own beverages and food to snack on because prices are very high to eat and drink here.

We would definitely like to plan a stay again, this time with the ability to take full advantage of everything that they have to offer.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Pros: 2 & 7 year olds loved the water park, plenty to do, not busy. Arcade was nice. Free breakfast was good, except it needed more variety. (Bread items and oranges) Room was spacious and overall comfortable.

Cons: sons Scooby stuffed animal was stolen from the lobby, room was worn, not informed of programs and amenities, staircase was dirty-informed front desk but nothing was done, staff was pleasant, but overall so (fake enthusiasm, robotic)

Services was good, but

Room Tip: Walls are on the thin side, we were on the end and heard people pounding up the stairs at 11 pm-perh...
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed in their standard suite on the top floor. It was very large with vaulted ceilings. Beautiful decor. We had a mini fridge (make sure that it was turned down..everything frooze) it had a microwave and a coffee maker. The beds were very comfortable and had a divider between the beds and the living room area. The room was very clean and all the staff were so friendly. The place costs of fortune. I could of bought a new couch for the two day stay (I need a new couch so when i got my bill I said there goes my couch. It was exhausting but fun. There was little breaks for mama. I did get a massage which was my highlight. Theresa was awesome. The magic game was magical and we didn't get to finish which was a disappointment. We stayed two days. One of the highlights was the creative craft place. The staff were amazing and we enjoyed a variety of crafts. Of course everything costs money a lot of money. The water park didn't have a wave pool which disappointed me somewhat. My 5 year old had a blast and was able to ride every water slide with accompaniment. The breakfast buffet was cold and gross. We didn't enjoy the restaurant in the hotel; although the ribs were great everything else was not wonderful.

Would I stay again, for the price we could of done something longer. I would enjoy renting a cottage instead. I think breakfast should be free with the price of the rooms.

Room Tip: 4th floor is quieter. We had vaulted ceilings.
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed in a standard family suite. Our room had two queen beds, a couch, dinette table with two chairs and a kitchenette. The kitchenette had a mini fridge and microwave. Make sure you hide the bottled water provided in the room...they were over $2 each! Bring your own cooler with beverages. We also brought our crock-pot to make easy meals like sloppy joes and even breakfast casserole. We did eat a few snacks at the ice cream/candy shoppe and the snack bar at the pool, which was typical resort prices ($$). We did not eat at the restaurant so I can not comment on that. Our bathroom contained a full size tub and commode. The sink/vanity is outside which is nice because someone can get ready while someone else is bathing, etc. The bathroom was clean except for mildewed caulk surrounding the tub. At first glance the room looked clean. However, my son lost his glasses so in the process of hunting for them we "tore the room apart". Filth. Disgusting! We found food behind the couch, underwear behind the dresser, dirty band-aids and tissues behind the beds. It looked like the room hadn't been deep cleaned in over a year. TONS of dust bunnies hiding in those dark corners. I was very upset based on the price of the resort and the well known name. My sons both suffer from allergies and asthma so we were not happy about the possibility of them getting sick.

We opted for Paw Passes, a one price pass for various souvineors and activities. I would say the value of that was fair. My boys still wear the t-shirts they made as well as play with the stuffed animal. Magiquest was a little too advanced for them (they were 5 and 7 when we traveled). They didn't complete their quest, but they did enjoy running around with the wands.

They both loved story time by the big clock. Get there early for a good seat. BOth night we let our boys wear their PJs down and they loved it. There is a meet and greet afterwards with one or more of the characters in costume.

The waterpark was well maintained. The lifeguards are amazing. We were only there about 3 minutes before we found out how quickly they respond. My 5 year old jumped into a pool thinking it was shallow and found out quickly it was over his head. I was running to jump in when a life guard beat me to it. He was shaken but ok and he wore a life jacket (they provide them) for the rest of the day. We experienced a few "code browns" during our stay. Whenever bodily fluids or other waste products are discovered in the water, the pools and or slides in the effected area are shut down for sanitizing and cleaning. This can take up to an hour. Evern with this precaution, my son ended up with a stomach bug which most likely resulted from ingesting contaminated water while swimming.

The arcade is nice. I liked the debit card system which allow money to be added to the card so that kids aren't running around with loose change etc. As is typical for most resorts, your room key can also be used for purchases in the gift shops, snack bars etc.

All in all, we had a nice time as a family, but we wished it were a lot cleaner. We ended our trip a day early due to the stomach bug (fever, diarrhea, vomiting, etc). We don't plan to go back to this location. Our next family waterpark trip will probably be to Boyne Mountain, as we have heard rave reviews from friends and family as well as other guest at the Lodge during our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, the ceilings are vaulted which makes them feel larger than they are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Waterford, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I had always wondered what the rooms at the Great Wolf Lodge were like. Based on what I paid for the room I expected at least a clean room. However the room was dark and dingy with a carpet that looked as if it had not been swept. It appeared that only the bed had been made and clean towels placed in the bathroom. Was it terrible - no. But when you pay over $200 I expect at least a clean room and somewhat well lighted..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great place for children and adults to have fun. They don't give breaks though on anything as if its costly enough they also charge you for every little thing. They charge for lockers for every little extra small thing they'll charge you for it they don't consider the fact that their patrons already spend an average 350 a night that they might consider not charging for every little thing. We pay them enough they should show some appreciation for our monies and patronage and cut us a break on some things. Otherwise a fun place just be ready to spend a lot!!!! Heck for what we spent for one weeks stay we couldve went to disney world!

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is so fun. There are a lot of things to do for little kids. There's bowling, ice cream parlor, a big arcade, storytime and of course MagiQuest. The little ones really enjoyed MagiQuest and the waterpark. We ate at the restaurant and the food tasted good. Overall this is a really good hotel for families with kids. I will definetely be coming back to this hotel

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!