“Good one night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 38 hotels in Traverse City
Dayton, Ohio
“Good one night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to multiple other GWLs and indoor water parks and enjoyed our stay here. This GWL is on the smaller side with only 3 "big rides" but they do have a small outside pool too. I think this location is best for kids 10 and under. The staff was always nice and helpful. Great option for bad/cooler weather or just when you need a day off the beach and out of the sun in the summer.

498 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family had never stayed at an indoor waterpark/hotel before so we didn't really know what to expect. Great Wolf Lodge impressed me. Everyone from the front desk people to the cleaning staff and lifeguards were friendly and helpful. (At one point, my 5yo ran into the hallway from our room, unaccompanied, and the cleaning lady stopped him until his grandfather caught up.) We stayed in the Loft Fireplace room with our family of 7 and there was plenty of room. The sleeper sofa was even comfortable. My one complaint about the room was that the loft bedroom did not get the benefits of the a/c and the ceiling fan's speed couldn't be adjusted.
The waterpark itself was very fun. Everything looked clean and the floors were surprisingly not slippery. The lifeguards were numerous and they were VIGILANT. Their eyes were constantly scanning the water and they did not chit chat while on duty. My 7yo and 5yo and so much fun and my parents (in their 50s) did too. My 2yo was not tall enough to do a whole lot, but she liked the mini slides and lazy river. There's an outdoor pool that is worth checking out if you need a little sun.
I did online check-in the morning of our stay. We arrived at 2pm, two hours before check-in time and our room was already ready. GWL says that you can get into the waterpark as early as 1pm of the day you check in so the access is definitely generous. I paid $35 for a late check-out at 2pm and was glad I did so. The kids played for another 3 hours on the second day, then we ate and packed up. The late time was enough not to rush. You can also swim until 9pm of the day you check out, which we didn't, but I like that you're not being pushed out the door.
We didn't do MagiQuest (although my 7yo was interested), the Spa or the Cub Club. Storytime at 8pm is fun for little kids at least once.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is quiet and mostly removed from MagiQuest players.
Tracy, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the Wolf Den rooms and my kids loved the bunk beds, and the semi-private "room" they had. It was such a luxury because they could go to bed and our lights weren't bugging them.
We spent the entire next day on the waterslides. My kids couldn't get enough. My husband and I enjoyed going on the larger slides with them for a few hours. Then we let them play on the structure for a few hours while we sat in the cafe area. We were able to chill out, have a beer, play card games, while the kids went up and down the slides. Such a great idea!
We also ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. They were very good with our gluten free daddy, as well as our kosher grandparents. The food was well prepare, the drinks were mixed properly, and everything tasted great. We can't wait to return!

Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

One of my children has a life threatening food allergy (all forms of dairy) and besides Disney, we have never found a place who caters to kids like my son. We could not have been more pleased with the attention the chef (Greg) or his assistants (Rick and Thom) in preparing my son's food. Each and every meal we received an allergy book (ingredients in all their food items), the wait staff would be advised and Greg, Rick or Thom would come to the table to talk with my son about what he would like to eat. If he wanted something not on the menu, they would make what ever he wanted. In the kitchen they have a separate area to prepare and cook, plus separate pans and utensils, for people with food allergies. After serving my son his food, they would always come back out to see how he was doing and if he liked the food. We felt very comfortable, which never happens since we are unable to eat out with him since there have been mistakes made in the past at other places.
Besides the great detail to our food and my son's safety, we found the place very clean, the room was great (we had a kids cabin) and the water park a ton of fun. The magic quest game was a great addition to the water fun! We are already planning a trip back.

Room Tip: the kids cabin was a hit. There are a set of bunk beds and a single bed inside a small "log ca...
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had sort of a desperation stay at Great Wolf Lodge after our weekend plans fell through after our weeklong trip visiting family throughout MI. The kids had endured lots of car and family time, so we felt like we owed them some fun. I'm not sure we owed them $375/night worth of fun though! We booked literally the last room in the place for a Friday and Saturday night in high season, so we definitely paid a premium. This kid of place is my absolute worst nightmare, but we wanted to do it for the kids. We have a 10-yr-old and a 2-yr-old, neither of which is the "sweet spot" for Great Wolf Lodge. The 10-year-old is too old for the Magic Quest stuff and the waterpark only entertained him for so long. The 2-year-old can't swim and had really limited use of the waterpark. I would think that a kid in the 6-8 range would be ideal for this place. We had two meals in the restaurant and the service was great and food was surprisingly good. I also felt like it was a decent value and they didn't nickel and dime you. I escaped with the 2-year-old for a bit and took her for a run in the stroller along the bay. My preference would be to spend more of my time doing stuff outdoors (in the summer) and showing my kids other parts of Traverse City instead of being holed up in a chlorine-infested bubble. But, that's just me and Great Wolf could definitely be the ideal vacation for different travelers. My husband and I agreed that we're glad we did it, but we'll NEVER spend that kind of money to do it again.

Room Tip: I don't know if the MagicQuest stuff is in all of the hallways, but we had a bunch of it right o...
Edwardsburg, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Expensive,but great fun! Lot's to do,and the staff was wonderful,including Vicky from the restaurant.The food (dinner,and breakfast) was very tasty.We skipped the breakfast buffett($12-13) for a $7.00 order from the menu,and it fill me up.

Room Tip: The basic family room was good for us (family of 4) mini fridge,micro,ect.It sleeps 6!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our two young children (3.5 and 1.5) had an absolute blast at The Great Wolf Lodge. We parents were delighted watching them have fun.

Our room, a "wolf den" room, was spacious and clean. The wolf den has a queen bed for parents and then a "cave" with bunk beds for the kids. The den does not have a door, so there's no putting the kids to bed and staying up. However, the bottom bunk is so low to the ground that we decided to forego our pack-n-play and let our little one sleep in a "big girl bed."

Our housekeeping staff person was attentive. He made an elephant out of towels, which our girls liked. He was just finishing the room one day when we were heading into the room for naps, and he got out of our way pretty quickly.

The girls did story time in the lobby both nights, and loved the animated animals and trees telling a story. That being said, what they loved was watching the figures move; no one could hear a word of the story. (Also, they have the same story, but a more elaborate set-up, at the Wisc. Dells location.) Then they were even more thrilled to see the costumed characters in person. We paid a little extra for Wiley the Wolf to bring cookies to our room, and that was a huge hit.

The pool area is perfect for younger children. Our 3.5 year old had 2 small and 2 medium slides she could ride on, but the others were for older kids. I think kids up to age 10 or 11 would enjoy the park. After that, I think most of the slides would be too boring. Again, the pool area I think is better at the Wisc. Dells location.

The food - is disappointing, given that we were in Traverse City and there are so many fine dining options! The snack bar food at the pool was mostly fried food and all overpriced. The pizza was okay. The breakfast buffet was your typical buffet. I ordered breakfast off the menu - white chocolate cherry pancakes - and those were very good.

I had a massage at the adult spa, and it was great! My massage therapist did a fantastic job. And the price was really reasonable - cheaper than the spa I go to in Chicago.

All in all: This is NOT a place to go without kids. And I don't think older children - tweens and teens - would like it. But, for young kids, I have no doubt they will love it.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!