“Confused Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 38 hotels in Traverse City
Chicago, Illinois
“Confused Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

Booked directly on their web site. The confusion came from the fact that there are actually two motels -- Traverse Bay Inn, and Traverse Bay Lodge -- with the same owners. Their web site needs to make this crystal clear, which it does not. When we made our booking, I assumed we would be staying at the "Lodge" with the indoor pool. We got there, and no, we had to go two miles up the road to stay at the Inn. We had a 6-year old boy with us who was very disappointed. The Inn has an outdoor pool, but we were there in October. They offered for us to use the pool at the Lodge, which would have required us to bring a change of clothes, drive two miles, etc. When we got into our room at the Inn, it was very small and cramped, and we had to call the desk to get a blanket for the fold -out futon. (The night manager at the Inn had already left.) Also, on the second night, there was a group of women up all night very loud next door. Thin walls. The Lodge (where we didn't stay) appeared nice from the outside. The front desk manager at the Lodge, although sympathetic to our dilemma, was not very helpful in helping us find another place to stay with an indoor pool. She merely handed us a phone book for us to call around ourselves. Their web site (I have been back since) does show two different places, but by virtue of the type of room you may request, beware! You could end up at the Traverse Bay Inn. It is nothing more than a motor lodge with thin walls and a tiny kitchenette, and without an indoor pool, definitely not worth the price we paid in October -- $100/night. Should have stayed at the Days Inn!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TCMichigan, owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this review, February 15, 2007
We were sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. We have no intention of misleading anyone with our web site and in fact have made some changes to the site since October because of these comments. We can understand your disappointment and remain committed to always do our best to make each and every stay special for our guests.

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2006

I was meandering through the subtle terrain of the west michigan coast in my ex-husbands caddilac just exploring and having a wicked fun time by myself. I made it to traverse city and i needed a place to stay and relax and hang loose for a couple days. I saw the hip looking FUN sign and I knew I found my place. I had THE BEST TIME. The room was cozy and spacious and the interesting young man at the desk gave me a lot of neat "underground" info about the area. thanks handsome ;)

Stayed August 2005

Been to Traverse Bay Inn? Share your experiences!