“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Farmington Hills MI
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

We loved our stay! Staff was friendly, room was clean, hotel was quiet, the location was far enough from the crazy Traverse City Traffic but close enough to get downtown in minutes.

Kitchen was a great help to have, we will go back. Great Value! We did the Wineries Package. Leelanau wineries were beautiful and fun to tour.

If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with room service, resturants and night life this is not for you, but if you are looking for a great value, nice clean rooms, and a friendly staff this is the place to go!

All you have to do is check out my other review and see I am honest.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
mi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Our white socks were black after walking on the carpet. The bathroom is so small it is almost unusable. It also smelled like wet dog. I don't think it's a good bargain for the price at all especially since there were three double beds, but they charge more for more than 2 adults. Then you get two tear open little packets of shampoo. The location is nothing special either.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Dear travelertipster,
As the owner of the Traverse Bay Inn I wish to thank you for your review. We strive to always give our guests the very best experience while staying at our Inn. We are always disappointed to see that a guest had a bad experience and especially so if we were unaware of your concerns during your visit. We certainly take your comments seriously and will use them in a positive manner to better serve our future guests.
Milwaukee, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

This hotel has pretty good curb appeal, and all interactions with staff were pleasant. The bedding and the bathroom were clean, which are the most important things to me. The place seems to be aimed at long term stays as I think most rooms have kitchenettes. The kitchenette in my room seemed fine, but I did not use it. So, I cannot comment on whether it was stocked well with utensils and the like. (I didn't even bother to check) I did not use the pool, but I could tell that it was not very large. The pool area looked best suited for sunbathing and the occasional dip in the pool to cool off. Wireless internet worked very well for me.

On the negative side, I arrived on a day with heavy rain, and the room did have an unpleasant, damp, musty odor to it. The odor did improve over the next 2 days, so I would pray for dry weather if staying here. I also found the location to be disappointing. It's right across the street from the bay, but there's so much development that the beach is not readily accessible. There is a little sliver of a "park" across the street from the motel, but there are several posted signs which read "Caution, Poison Ivy!". Furthermore, after walking through the forested poison ivy area, there is grassy, marshy area to walk through to reach the shore. After the recent heavy rain, it was quite muddy.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

Traverse Bay Inn is excellent if you are staying for a short or long time and travelling with a pet. Having a kitchen and living room, and so convenient (easy in and out with the car) and excellent management and staff (so nice and helpful--the best). If you are participating at the horse show it is ideal as it is so close to everything from the show to a Walgreens, dry cleaner, fast food, good restaurants, market, supermarket, etc., and the town. And it is very small so there are not a huge amount of people and congestion, and no-one thumping around overhead and a great laundry room that is not busy!!

Stayed July 2009
Clawson, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

It seems we could have paid more or paid less to stay at any one of the several hotels in Traverse City, but for our intentions, the Traverse Bay Inn was ideal and yes, we would go back in a heartbeat. My wife, my son, myself and our dog were on a visit to see a friend. The hotel allows dogs, is located directly across from the beach public access and even had a small kitchen so we didn't have to go out every time someone got hungry. In addition the pool was a perfect temperature and there were even bikes for us to use if we wanted. I don't think they put mints under the pillows and the busy road may have bothered me if we stayed longer, but other than that I cannot say anything bad about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
bothell, wa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

For $155.00 per night plus tax you can find a much nicer motel, we did. They have old loud air conditioners that leak down the walls. The rooms are dark. The bathroom is so tiny it's impossible to share with anyone. The carpets where so dirty that the bottom of my white sock where black. The pool is nice but very small. The hot tub had so much chlorine in it that it was unusable. The people where nice and friendly. They also ding your credit card for the full charge at check in instead of check out so if you have any issues that could be a problem. The place is way over priced.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We always take any feedback as an important tool to help guide our improvement at the Traverse Bay Inn. We are very sorry for your unfortunate experiences and are very sorry that we could not have helped you with your concerns during your stay. Please except out most sincere apologies and do consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in an appropriate manner at a future time.
detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

This was my second time staying in this charming motel. We took the large jacuzzi sweet and it was wonderfull. Very large 'townhome' style rooms, very clean and the staff is excellent. My fiancee and I wanted to go for a bike ride and even though the bikes were put away for the night ( they have some for use, for free!) Jeff told us to take them, gave us a map for the beautiful bike/ jogging/ walking trail (paved) and let us keep them as long as we wanted. This was the first time my fiancee had been to Traverse City and we are looking at our schedules to see how fast we can make it back there!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Traverse Bay Inn? Share your experiences!