“Great vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Great vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Traverse Bay Inn is a great place to stay. We have stayed twice and will certainly be back again. The rooms are spaceous. The beds are comfortable. The staff is awesome. The rooms are always very clean. It is like a home away from home. I also appreciate the nice little fully stocked kitchen area. Great for a quick meal or just to warm up leftovers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Chose this place based on TripAdvisor recommendations. Didn't disappoint. Unique room set up (2 full beds upstairs, 1 queen downstairs) gave privacy. Kitchen was an excellent extra, and saved us from having to live out of coolers and eat out/go to the store constantly. It had everything we needed: papertowel, dishcloth, dish towel, cups, plates, etc. Maybe a wine opener would be a future suggestion? Otherwise, all came in handy, and was in good condition!)

Some (but not all) of the fixtures and decorations were a bit dated, but for all that was available to us while staying there, it was well worth it. The bathroom was quite small, but comfortably appointed. All of the bedding (bed spreads were modern and comfy!) and linens were clean and comfortable (even better, the bedding smelled clean and crisp!). The beds were very comfortable, which was a great surprise! I slept great! Closet space was plentiful. 3 full closets throughout the unit.

For those who are sensitive to sound, you do hear a little bit of traffic from the busy street that it sits on, but nothing major or anything that should keep you awake. I'd assume that in the summer, with the air on, you wouldn't hear it at all.

Grounds were well kept and appealing, and parking right in front of your room was nice.

As a suggestion to the management: I don't think that your website does you justice. Many of the pictures you have promoting you look very dated (the people, the clothes, the decor, the woman sitting by the jacuzzi tub, bikers, etc.). Honestly, if it weren't for the reviews I found here, I'd be skeptical. Maybe that's just me, because I'm a visual person, but I wouldn't think that it would take much to get some updated shots of guests. :)

The man I spoke to on the phone when I made my reservation was very pleasant and helpful. The woman I spoke to again another time on the phone, and probably again at check in, wasn't the most pleasant person. Not outright rude or anything, but not very welcoming - rather short and seemed annoyed to be answering my questions.

I'd love to stay here again. I'm not a super-fussy person, but I do enjoy a clean, and comfortable room. I wasn't looking to stay at a super-fancy place, but then again, I didn't want to stay in a trashy/dirty place either. This is definitely on the nicer, yet affordable end of rooms in TC. I will stay again, and hopefully for longer next time!

I think this would be a great place for families, extended stay, multiple couples getting away for the weekend, and ladies weekends. Check it out! It's worth it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TBI-Owner, Owner at Traverse Bay Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thanks for your nice comments, observations, and suggestions! We're coming into our slower season so as per usual we have lots of new things planned for the rooms and grounds. We do projects and renews every year and thanks to our loyal return and new guests like you we have had another great summer which equates to a full to-do list again this year. Hope to see you again sometime soon and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Traverse City at the Traverse Bay Inn. - Jeff
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed only one night with my elderly parents. Stayed in room 108. upstairs king with jacuzzi tub and down stairs queen. Small but nice bath on the ground floor along with a small living area and kitchen. The beds were very comfortable and the unit was very clean. It was a very good value and will will diffenetly return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Woods MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have been staying at TBI for the last few years. We love having the extra space instead of just a regular hotel room. Our dog has traveled extensively, but loves this place and the staff love her. The room are always spotless, beds are very comfortable, always extra pillows and towels. The grounds well cared for and we like the idea not having to go through a lobby with the dog.
Especially like the idea of more than one television set since not everyone wants to watch the same things. A big thanks also to the staff for being very friendly and helpful. We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We were a little Leary because the price was so good for 2 bedrooms, a bath , kitchen and living room, but we were pleasantly surprised at the clean Inn with 2 bedrooms on different floors. It worked out great for those that snore sleeping upstairs and not to be heard by others. It wasn't fancy, but was very clean and the right price.

• Stayed September 2012
Bridgman, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We like to stay at B&B's, but wanted to bring our 20 lb terrier on this trip since it's only a 4hr drive from home. I was expecting to have to lower our standards substantially to stay somewhere that accepts pets, but took a chance on Traverse Bay Inn based on TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed in a two bedroom suite that was absolutely spotless -- including the carpet. We had maid service every day and couldn't ask for more, esp for less than $100 for two nights (Mon and Tues in late Sept). Our bedroom (and I think all rooms from 111-120) faces a wooded preserve, so it is nice and private. The motel is located on a major thoroughfare with lots of motels and resorts, but set back from traffic. The best restaurants are in town, about a 10 min. drive. There is a great walking/jogging/bike path behind the motel that can be accessed behind the Family Video two doors down. We love TC. Everyone we meet is so friendly, including the staff that checked us in. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: perfect spot for COURTEOUS and RESPONSIBLE pet owners
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Old fashioned motel with parking right at door to room. Extremely clean. Even an extra bedroom on 2nd floor. Good shower. Kitchenette very clean and tidy. Welcoming and helpful front desk service. Room rate was incredibly reasonable. Only negative was the the window blinds were not completely secure in that they did not cover the entire window space, i.e. someone could look in from the outside at the window edges. A little disconcerting as far as privacy. All-in-all, this was a motel that was well taken care of by the management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Traverse Bay Inn? Share your experiences!