There are not a lot of options in Traverse City, on a Saturday night, in August, at a reasonable rate. I discovered this when I needed to be in the area for work and needed to find a room just a few weeks in advance. However, reviews from my trusted TripAdvisor community helped me feel comfortable about making a one-night reservation at the Boarders Inn (for $169).
As mentioned, this used to be the Super 8. I never stayed there when it was the Super 8; but the Boarders Inn website says "Newly Renovated!".
Here's what I liked: The bed was comfortable, clean, with updated linens. The room/bath was clean. The staff were all friendly. Hot waffles were part of the continental breakfast. AC unit worked great.
Here's what I didn't like: The common area carpets were not clean, and the elevator was particularly banged-up and messy. The staff (though friendly!) were not particularly professional; one wore a ripped and stained "uniform" while manning the front desk. There were industrial garbage cans in the hallways without lids, apparently for guest use. Really expensive for what you got (but probably market rate for TC on a summer weekend).
Here's what I didn't mind, but you should know about: The room furniture (desk, chair, tables) were very worn/banged up and definitely not part of the "renovation". No mini-fridge or microwave in the room. The AC unit is noisy. Traffic noise too, at least if you are on the front of the hotel. There is now seating for more than 8 (mentioned in a prior review) for the breakfast; maybe 8 tables?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Boarders Inn and Suites Traverse City MI hotel is conveniently located near Cherry Capital Airport on Highway 31 N. Located in northern Michigan; Traverse City is right across from Grand Traverse Bay and many outdoor activities like swimming, fishing, hiking and more. When you book a room at our pet-friendly Traverse City hotel, you can look forward to free amenities including continental breakfast, Wi-Fi and parking for any sized vehicle you arrive in. We also offer 24-hour front desk service, handicap accessible and non-smoking rooms, as well as whirlpool or fireplace suites. Kids 17 and under stay free with an adult. Whether you want to spend the day outside on the bay, enjoy breathtaking views, or browsing charming small-town shops, our Traverse City hotel location delivers. Fish or cruise the waters of Grand Traverse Bay, or relax with a stack of magazines on beaches like Traverse City State Park. With the waterfront in view, check out the exhibits at Grand Traverse Lighthouse, or hike or bike Traverse Area Recreational Trail. During the winter, go snowmobiling on Boardman Valley Trail. If you love to shop, explore unique shops on Front Street in downtown Traverse City or the 100-plus stores in Grand Traverse Mall. If you would rather tee off, get in a game of golf at Mitchell Creek Golf Course. You will find plenty of restaurants near our Traverse City, MI, hotel. Find casual dining at Fire Fly, or try pub food and pints at Mackinaw Brewing Company, both in downtown Traverse City. Get a quick bite of Chinese food at Golden Chopsticks or, if you have a taste for Italian, go to Trattoria Stella. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Boarders Inn and Suites of Traverse City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Super 8 - Traverse City Hotel Traverse City
- Super Eight Traverse City
- Traverse City Super Eight
- Traverse City Super 8