“Family Reunion” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Oxford, Michigan
“Family Reunion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been coming to Traverse City for at least the last 10 years for my husband's immediately family reunion. For the last 5 years we have always stayed at Sugar Beach where the beach is very sandy like sugar. This year the weather was not cooperating and we were forced to enjoy our rooms and the common area on the second floor and the indoor pool which is very nice and refreshing. The hot tub is always hot, but crowded. The rooms which we always have a bay view room are very comfortable, however the tv needs to be updated to flat screen LED's the picture just didn't seem very clear to me. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. We are already booked for next year! It doesn't have a resturant, but Ruby Tuesday and Hooters are across the street. The DQ is in walking distance too...what's a vacation without a DQ!

Room Tip: We normally go with 8 bay view rooms on the 2nd floor so we are all together and close to the common...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I travel all over the country and have stayed in hundreds of hotels, this one rates right up there with my worst experiences. We were put in the wrong room twice (I think they mis-booked us. Finally got the type of room we booked, but I think they scraped the bottom of the barrel - room was not what their website showed. Desk staff was rude and more concerned about personal issues.

Manager complained about not getting enough sleep. When we checked out we asked for a late checkout and they said no, because they were completely booked yet the sign said vacancy.

Room was run down with a bowing ceiling from water damage - I have pics. Hotel (definitely NOT a resort) ruined our vac experience!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We've stayed at the Sugar Beach a few times previously, so this is an updated review. We still like it very much, for all the same reasons: the property is exceptionally clean, the employees exceedingly friendly and helpful, and the amenities the hotel advertises are intact. We had no trouble with the Wi-Fi, crowding at the breakfast bar or low supplies during breakfast, and we went at different times during our four morning stay. We did not use the indoor pool. The in-room televisions are absolutely adequate for morning news updates and kids' DVDs (perhaps) later on in the evening. They are good-sized and work well. They are not flat-screened or of the plasma type - if you prefer those, well this this property is not for you. (Your home is!) I noticed new pillows on the bed - that's a nice switch from the flat ones from previous stays. I also noticed the outside fresh towel bins had fresh towels all day; sometimes, the towels would be all gone by midday, and you had to wait a short time for new ones. Speaking of towels, the ones in the room are new, white and fluffy - important if your skin is a bit sunburned after a few hours on the beach! There is hot, fresh coffee all day in the lobby area, and it's very good. There are plenty of beach chaises and chairs, and a few umbrellas; bring your own umbrellas for added comfort. This property draws a good crowd - lots of families with young children, and multi-family groups who like the bottom water view rooms with the patios so they can visit easily from patio to patio. That's a nice option if you need it. The inroom fridge is larger than most hotel fridges, and is very, very cold! There is a microwave and coffee machine as well in the little pantry area that includes a few cupboards and an extra sink. The armoire that houses the much-aligned TV is full of storage space. We were extremely comfortable in this hotel for four days for all of the above reasons, and we will come back again. If you have a young family, this beach is excellent because the water is so shallow for such a long way out. The sand is safe, and there are relatively few shells once you get into the water. The rooms are large to accommodate all your little kid equipment. Overall, this is a great property if you're vacationing in TC. Have fun!

Room Tip: If you are smoking averse, know that cigarette smoke will float upward from the water-view patio roo...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We've stayed at the Sugar Beach before, the last time was several years ago. Not much has changed! The beds were comfortable, rooms were clean, the beach was spectacular, and staff was friendly. The hallway and elevator had an unpleasant odor, probably due to all the wet feet from the beach! Our only complaint was the ancient TV! Big, old Sylvania with a 27 inch screen. We know people come here for the beach, but after a busy day experiencing all Traverse City has to offer, we like to watch some TV before bed. We hope they update the TVs very soon.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My Dad offered to take my Husband and I up to Traverse City for a few days and he chose to stay at Sugar Beach. He got himself a room and then my husband and I a room, he didn't tell me how much it cost, however, since it was his treat.

Anyways, we had BEAUTIFUL rooms on the 3rd floor with a view of the Bay! It was fantastic. I later came to find out however, that the rooms were around $300 a night after taxes. Now before you say "Wow that's ridiculous!" It's really not. Most Bay side resorts in Traverse City start out at around $250 - $350 per night for bay view rooms.

But if you're going to pay that much, I do recommend Sugar Beach, because first of all. Their rooms are clean, and the staff is friendly. Also, they have a very large beach compared to the hotels around it. Another plus is they have a water sport rental shack right on their property that rents out pontoon boats, para-sailing trips, jet ski's and canoes. Not to mention it's only about 2 miles away from downtown.

My only complaint is that they have a really small indoor pool, but really, why do you need a pool when you're right on the lake?

So I recommend it, we had a good stay there.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, and pay that much, I definitely recommend requesting a room with a...
Roseville, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I actually booked my room at the Grand Beach Resort Hotel & when I got there I was told they didn't have my room type and I would be staying at Sugar Beach Resort Hotel instead. I paid a great deal of money for two nights (more than what it cost me to stay in Las Vegas the month before) for not a great experience. The wi-fi did not work the entire time (even after I called to ask about it), the jets in my hot tub did not work and the bathroom door did not lock.

Novi, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've stayed at the Sugar Beach many times. The rooms are clean and the beach is fabulous. It's pricey but not as bad as some of the competitors in the area. The in-room jacuzzi is the best. There are two problems that I see that need immediate fixing. The breakfast bar is crowded and they run out of food if you don't get there within an hour after opening. There also are way too many kids. Parents with children often let their kids run wild. They monopolize the pool even after the adult swim hours have started and they whine and cry up and down the hallways. This time I made up my mind to complain loudly to staff about unruly and unsupervised children.

Room Tip: Take a room on the parking lot side of the hotel. They are significantly cheaper. You are able to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sugar Beach Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!