“Nice stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 38 hotels in Traverse City
Lansing, Michigan
“Nice stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was our first time staying with Courtyard by Marriott. We enjoyed a king size bed with a jacuzzi tub. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable and the shower was hot. There was no microwave in the room, but there is one in the front lobby. Our only real complaint would be that the door to our room didn't have a good seal, so light showed through all four sides from the hallway and you could hear everything coming from the hallway. This wasn't a huge issue, but noticeable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby area is large, with plenty of seating. We did not try the breakfast area or bar. The pool seemed nice and the fitness center provided the basics. Overall, we were quite happy with our stay and would reconsider staying again when we are back in TC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Traverse City, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for recently staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. This Courtyard is currently ranked #88 out 837 other Courtyards in Overall Guest Satisfaction for 2013 Year to Date. I would like the opportunity to correct that door issue you mentioned. It sounds like a quick frame adjustment. If you would be so kind to inform me of your last name or the room I will take care of it.

We hope to see you again soon.

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Traverse City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The room was very nice and clean. I haven't stayed here for over 12 years so I hoped the quality was still good. I was very nicely surprised. My room was very clean and comfortable and the emplioyees were very accomodating when I had to both get a room on short notice and then add another day onto the reservation. One thing I was amazed by was the quietness of the room. The hotel is beside a busy road and yet the road noise was quite quiet. When I went to open the window (for once TC was warm those days) I found out why; there were a total of 2 glass doors. Not only did this keep out the noise, but it made me feel safer to be in the room. Also, although I didn't use the pool area, it looked very inviting. I was surprised to see how many children there were in the swimming pool because I never was disturbed by any noise as I have been in other hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side may be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
An absence of 12 years is way to long!! We are glad to have you back. I am also glad we met your expections from that previous stay. The hotel has had a few renovations since your last time here. One thing I am proud of is the longevity of many members of our staff. The Head Housekeeper and Assistant Head Housekeper have been with us since the doors opened 13 years ago. The Operations Manager just hit her 11 year mark. I am one of the newest employees at four years. I hope you don't wait another 12 years to come see us.

michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

this place is my "go to" hotel when i'm in traverse city.
typically i have no complaints.
this time (april 2 stay), the shampoo, conditioner and lotion samples in my room were all pre-used and only partially full. have never had that happen before at a marriott property - not sure if they are trying to cut costs or what, but i don't ask for a lot... but i do expect new samples.
i'll return and generally would recommend it. it's comfortable and spacious and seemed very well-staffed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Traverse City, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello and thanks for staying with us again. I am very sorry about your pre-used amenities. We are certainly not trying to reduce cost by sharing amenities and it certainly was not intentional. Marriott recently changed amenities to the the Paul Mitchell brand. It is a good product but the bottles are not see through as most amenities bottles are. In addition the packaging does not have a seal or any indication showing if a bottle is new or used. Many of our guest bring their own shampoo and conditioners and do not use the products provided. The only way to determine if a product is used is by feel and when a housekeeper has a product weighing less then 1 ounce it is really hard to tell. I have a new bottle of conditioner on my desk right now and it feels half empty to me.

It is our policy to discard all three bottles of amenities after every room checks out. This perhaps did not happen on your last stay. We at the hotel are not happy that we need to do this due to the tremendous waste in product, cost and the impact on the environment. Unfortunately until we can convince Marriott and Paul Mitchell to change the packaging we will continue to discard. I will be contacting a local shelter this week to see if they would like these bottles. I again want to express my apology and hope to see you again soon. Bryan
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As a Platinum Level Marriott member, I have to say, this is one of the best operated Marriott branded hotels I have ever stayed in.

I stayed here on business and upon check-in, the staff was very friendly, not just in the cordial meeting-a-guest type of greeting, but they seemed genuinely friendly and accommodating. This is very refreshing when one travels a lot and to have a friendly smiling person greeting you after a long day is worth the stay.

The "living room" area is very comfortable and has a nice warm homey feeling. The business area is great! You can grab a snack and watch the evening news on your own personal TV while catching up on e-mails.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

The Marriott Spirit To Serve was very evident with the morning manager... I am from the South and not used to snow. When I went out to my car the next morning, 8" of snow had fallen the night before. The manager was outside at 6:30am sweeping snow from vehicles. He saw the amused look on face about the snow that had fallen and came over and brushed all the snow off my car without asking! All I can say is WOW! Where else will you find a manager willing to do that??

Great experience at the Courtyard for a weary traveler!!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be in a good location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Traverse City, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and comments. I am glad you found your accomodations clean and comfortable. I am very proud of our staff. I hire for attitude instead of experience. I can teach people how to use the computer or clean a room but I can not teach people how to be outgoing and caring. That is why his hotel is always one of the top Courtyards in the area of guest satisfaction. Now that we are in mid March we only have another 4-6 weeks of snow. I love the stuff ( in January) but I have had enough, come on spring! We hope to see you again soon. Bryan
Columbus, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here before and it has gotten better. Very friendly staff, clean, quiet and affordable. New remodel has mad it even better. In T C you have to be aware that prices go up with the many and various events also you had better plan ahead for available rooms.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I enjoy this hotel, they have remodeled in the past few years and it's very posh feeling without having to pay for fancy. It's over by the mall and has plenty of places to eat close by. It's not close to downtown, so if you're hoping to walk the main street, shop and see the lake, you'll have to drive. The rooms are clean, spacious, tastefully decorated, and have free WiFi. The front desk staff have always been friendly, even when I've been a late night arrival.

The only downside for me, is that they don't have a free breakfast anymore. There is a Bistro where you can purchase hot breakfast items and other quick food. It's a little expensive. I think I paid $5 for oatmeal with fruit toppings. There is free coffee and tea around the corner from the cafe if you just want a quick cup of something hot. With that said, I will stay here next time I'm in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hudsonville, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The hotel was very nice and modern! It looks like it has recently been updated and the rooms were very nice! Love that it had a Starbucks in the hotel. It was also close to many attractions and not to far away at all from downtown Traverse City. Would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bryan M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Traverse City, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Hello and thanks for staying with us. I am glad you liked our hotel. The Starbucks in the lobby is a nice feature. We have many local people stopping in the morning just to get a quick cup to go. We hope to see you again soon.

Bryan

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Traverse City? Share your experiences!