“Charming home, fantastic location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Prices are for rooms, adults
Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
244 E. 8th Street, Traverse City, MI 49684   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Traverse City B&B and Inns
Grand Haven, Michigan
“Charming home, fantastic location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We journeyed back to my college town for the Cherry Bomb LAX tourney last July. The Oviatte House is a very charming home and is practically downtown TC! Franny and her husband were delightful innkeeper's and we enjoyed our 3 night stay immensely! Breakfasts were scrumptious, served family style. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We returned to the city of my misspent youth (college) for the Cherry Bomb LAX tourney. The locatio...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This location is perfect for strolling along the river into downtown. Franny is very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The breakfasts were good, with lots of organic and local food, which we deeply appreciate. There were plenty of vegan and vegetarian options and Franny often left snacks out in the evening. The decor style is antique but that does not mean that functionality should be sacrificed. Our bed jiggled and crackled like crazy and was VERY high, difficult for someone with mobility issues (think vaulting into bed). Oviatt is located on a busy street, which fortunately quieted at night, but there is lots of traffic noise until 7 pm and the windows are original and not very soundproof. There are no side tables by the bed, and otherwise very small flat surfaces to place glasses, toiletries, etc. The rooms are crowded by the sizes of the beds, so you may find yourself squeezing by one another. Franny is clearly working on the house, so things may change in the future. Right now, I would recommend a room at the back (not Lewis or Waldo) and the second floor--the first floor room opens onto the common area.

Room Tip: Back and second floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGardener44, Owner at Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
I thank you for your comments about the canopy bed. I have taken some action to correct the details outlined in your observations. Actually you are the only guest that had slept in the Lewis room with the higher mattress. I had just tried out a new mattress there in September, but obviously it seemed too high for my guests, and I follow your lead to make additional changes.
We have just installed 2 new pillowtop mattresses in the Lewis room and in the Pierpont room. So now the Lewis room does have a lower bed height (36"), with a new mattress.
We are designing new drapes for all our front rooms to assist in creating quiet rooms for sleeping. I hope you come again to see our changes and try one of our other rooms as well.
There are so many great features about our B & B - proximity to downtown, walking distance to great restaurants, the house is very cozy, and we concentrate on great organic and healthful breakfasts. I am confident that you will be pleased when you come again. Your comments have helped me zone in on some details, to make it even better, so I thank you.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This B&B is within walking distance to SO many things downtown...all the restaurants, bars, walking trails, water, beaches, etc that you would want and it makes the trip that much easier to plan knowing you can easily walk to anything you find to do in downtown Traverse City. The house is charming and Franny is so sweet (and cooked some AMAZING breakfasts!).

We had an event early on one of the mornings and she was nice enough to accommodate us by making breakfast 30 minutes earlier than she normally does (which I think is from 8:00-9:30) and had 2 blends of hot coffee waiting for us as soon as we walked downstairs. After we ate, she even wrapped up some of the goodies for us to take with us for our day!

Sharing a bathroom wasnt a problem at all and shouldnt be a reason to deter you if you are nervous about that aspect. The decor is what it is and is accurately depicted on the website. Not our style, but is clean and comfortable and has a certain charm that you would expect from a B&B. Franny also has some local wines and beers in a fridge downstairs by the front door and makes you feel welcome by offering you to help yourself at any time to those items as well as setting out a little afternoon snack each day. Also, helpful "To Do" binders filled with all the local attractions, directions, winery information, tours, etc and Franny is more than helpful with suggestions if you need some help with how to fill your day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

My husband, our friends and I were looking forward to our week end away from the kids to enjoy some adult time. Right upon arrival Franny made us feel like we were her own kids. Such a warm inviting place, full of antics and charactere, just like a B&B should feel like. Franny is one of the nicest person we ever met and she made sure we felt confortable. The rooms very very cute and since we were the only guests, we had each our own bathrooms. Also available in each room is a set of key so we can come and go without bothering anyone. The house is at walking distance from the town main street where we enjoyed every second. In the morning, the most amazing breakfast was awaiting us. Being French I am very picky and hate the tipycal continental breakfast with the same old greesy food. We were served like kings, french pastries such as Pains au chocolat and Croissants fresh from the local bakery (it felt like I was back home in France) home made waffles, bread, fruits, yogurts, omelettes, coffee, jams, all locally made! Franny will keep you company without imposing on your private conversation. Great company, very nice cosy place, will definitly be back!

• Stayed August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for one night. It was a great experience. The B&B is within walking distance of just about everything in the downtown, as well as some lovely trails, and the house itself is charming, comfortable, and above all, CLEAN! We stayed in the Grose Room, which has its own private bath and a private entrance, as well. Our daughter is 6 months-old, and we wrote to the owners before booking a room to see whether they allowed infants. They were very accommodating, and someone even offered to look after our baby so both my husband and I could enjoy our breakfast in peace!

The breakfast was truly delicious--fresh eggs from a local farmer, just-baked muffins, granola, yogurt, and more. Ken, one of the owners, was there (the other owner was out of town), and he was very welcoming and had a wealth of knowledge about the area; my husband and I greatly enjoyed talking to him. The entire experience couldn't have been nicer, and I highly recommend this B&B to anyone looking to stay in Traverse City!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Olivet, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

A group of us stayed the beginning of June. The B&B was AWESOME!!! Franny was delightful and very helpful in suggesting attractions to see in the area. The breakfast was outta this world; it was organic and homemade and adjusted for those had preferences. The price was so low...I felt as I only paid for breakfast and the Bed was free. We did a wine tour on Sat. and Franny made accommodations for a knowledgeable driver to take us to the wineries. We are planning on making this a yearly girls outing. I would highly recommend staying here versus any hotel! THANKS FRANNY!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Most amazing B&B breakfast every had. All organic food. Super friendly, clean and welcoming atmosphere. Cold beverages left for us in the fridge. Felt like home but better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!