“Perfect location and excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast
244 E. 8th Street, Traverse City, MI 49684   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Traverse City B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Perfect location and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The owner of this B&B Frannie and Ken were wonderful. First the breakfast was a
5 star. They accommodated my dairy allergies. Everything was home made and delicious. When we checked in we were welcomed with local wines and beer. It was such a warm welcome.

We slept in the Waldo room. Comfortable room with a queen size bed. Room and
bathroom were clean. Good prices.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I would fully agree with the other reviewers' comments about: (i) the breakfast being very generous, largely of local produce, and tasty, (ii) the rooms and bathrooms being clean, and (iii) the owners being extremely friendly and welcoming. I really felt almost like I was visiting relatives!

Unfortunately, the slight shortcomings in attention to detail (the kind of things that one might just laugh away when visiting a friend/relative) were a little tiresome.. and have resulted in the low overall rating. During our stay we experienced shortcomings in food hygiene matters, billing (I believe this was fully unintentional but it did take several corrections from us to get this right), and some other aspects of the B&B running (keys, extension leads, etc).

These short comings are really a shame - and I fully believe that these were mere oversights of details. We might give this B&B another go - if this was the case it would be 100% because of the friendliness of the owners.

ps. One previous reviewer noted that those just wanting a place to sleep might do better staying elsewhere. We are inclined to agree - the rooms can be quite noisy (you hear everyone coming and going; two of the bathrooms are on the corridor; and the doors/walls must be on a thin side as we were kept awake by the snoring of another guest next door!)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
FrannyBluhm, Owner at Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Hi
Thanks for your clear comments. I appreciate them. Sometimes it is the small details that need to get corrected to have the overall experience perfect. My husband and I often remind each other that 90%/ 10% ratio is not enough.
I appreciated the comments about the keys. I'll make sure I get them to the rooms before or at arrival.
The billing was kind of a fluke.. I had given you a special discount and I did not realize you were paying separately, so yes it took a 2nd try.. I think I can solve that in the future by having billing ready upon arrival. It's clearer that way. Thanks for the idea. It will help us get this year running smoothly and well.
Please be sure to come back and visit us if you can. We enjoyed meeting you and I think you overall had a very nice time here. Traverse City has a great Film festival in August and the Fall is spectacular with grape harvest , wine tours and the colors. And we have such a great location to visit it all along with the pleasures and challenges of a historic 1899 home. Look forward to seeing you at any time if you can make it.
Sebewaing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My adult daughter and I stayed 1 night at Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast on a Friday night in September, 2011. My daughter had a class at the Mid-Michigan University (less than 5 minutes from the Inn). Frannie greeted us in the yard and showed us to our quaint room upstairs. She now has 6 rooms, two have their own bathrooms. While we were there 3 couples were staying so we each had our own bathroom (4 of the rooms upstairs shair 2 bathrooms). We had the king bed, and it was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Our room was spacious, and we were only there to sleep anyway. I would recommend a small fan or something for white noise if you are a light sleeper. It is a house, and you can hear other guests as you would at home. That's a note and certainly not a complaint. Our room also had AC which we didn't need. Breakfast is typically served from 8-9:30 but my daughter had to be at the university at 8 so our delicious breakfast was served at 7:15. Homemade breads, pastries, bacon, omlettes, yogurt, granola, juice and coffee along with fresh fruit was amazing! A newlywed couple had come in late and their breakfast was served after 9:30 with no problem. In the evening we enjoyed wine and snacks while visiting with other guests in the common area. What fun! Frannie is a delight, and she made our stay enjoyable with information about the area and a map of downtown (an easy walk). While my daughter was in class I played the piano in the parlor while Frannie made her family dinner. Our stay was so enjoyable that I wouldn't hesitate recommending Oviatt House to friends. Compared to hotels in the area, the price we paid was very good. I originally chose this property for how close it was to the university. Being an old house, there aren't a lot of electric outlets in the bedroom. If you will need to plug in a lot of devices I suggest taking an extension cord or power strip. We didn't have a problem charging our phones or computer.

Room Tip: If you are leary of sharing a bathroom (wasn't a problem as she wasn't full), ask for a priv...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dansville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Frannie and Grace will make you feel right at home at the Oviatt House B&B. We were greeted by Frannie and made to feel welcome immediately with a glass of wine and chips and salsa as well as a myriad of snacks, to which we could help ourselves. The bedroom was small (but of our choice) and did have a clean, private bath. Breakfast was wonderful and there was enough food to feed an army. Almost everything provided came from local growers and vendors and that made it especially nice. The house is quite cute and close to the downtown area so within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. We enjoyed our two night stay immensely.

Room Tip: The smallest room (downstairs) has a private bath. I believe the upstairs rooms must share a bath be...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ferndale, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I came here for one night. The bed was comfortable and things seemed clean in the room; however to keep a b and b running things need to be immaculately clean. The bathrooms were very clean, which is a plus. The breakfast was not very good at all. We were served a pastry with mold on it and were given a bag upon check out that had mold in it as well. A bit disappointed and grossed out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

The Oviatt house is a huge old home with clean and comfortable accommodations, a super friendly hostess, a delicious homemade breakfast and everything is within a 10 minute walk! Like many B&B's I've stayed at the house could still use some cosmetic updates and detail paint but it was very clean. The owner leaves out snacks and drinks and encourages you to enjoy their small but well groomed lawn. There was no TV in our room but we did have a small private bath. The only downside was that they accommodated another guest who requested an especially early breakfast and then enjoyed it loudly with full conversation in the dining room right outside our room.

When I did get up around 8:30, I really enjoyed the breakfast! There were tons of choices on the table (from organic, grass fed yogurt to several kinds of locally made butter and pastries) and the main dish was served individually as guests arrived at the table. No little boxes of cereal like I have seen elsewhere! The house is not a stunner but it is nice, cozy and clean. Appropriatly priced. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a cute house very close to Front St, walking/biking paths and food. The inn keeper is extremely friendly and helpful; she wants to make your stay as good as it can be. The food was wonderful and mostly organic/local. My only complaint was the room. The one we were in (the smallest room) faced 8th street and was a bit loud with cars driving by. If you are used to this background noise then you will have no problem. If you are not used to street noise, I would recommend getting one of the rooms towards the back of the house. Late risers beware: the room with the private bath on the first floor is right next to the dining room. It is a great room for early birds or those that can sleep through anything. Overall, it was a good experience and I would recommend it for anyone that wants to meet people and feel like they are a guest in someone's home. Those that just want a place to sleep would do better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the back of the house
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Oviatt House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!