“Small and cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 13 Dessert in Traverse City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: LITTLE BOHEMIA, Traverse City's 2nd Oldest Tavern, was built as a hot dog stand in 1932, with Curb Side Service and outdoor seating, an annual ritual of making sauerkraut, and a Speak Easy in the basement. Folks would knock on the back door and go directly to the basement. One evening while closing up the owner was paid a visit by a couple of Al Capone’s men. They held him at gunpoint, warning him he’d better get his liquor from Capone or else! The men were chased off by an employee who was able to sneak out to his truck and get his shotgun; he surprised them; fortunately they never returned. Located in the heart of “Little Bohemia” as the area was known and being of Bohemian descent, the original owner named his business in honor of the Bohemian community that had settled on the west end of the city. Little Bohemia immediately became the gathering place on Saturday nights. At the end of prohibition, the building was expanded to include a tavern and its popularity continued to grow into a Traverse City landmark, now an icon and a premier destination in the city’s West End District. This traditional Michigan tavern has stood the test of time and still maintains its original name. Little Bohemia is blessed with fame in its own right, as the 2nd oldest tavern in Traverse City, but basks in the glory of the late Sir Walter Hagen. The golf legend, who settled on Long Lake after he retired, made a daily stop to “hold court” or play a few games of bumper pool and of course have a few drinks. Mr. Hagen lovingly referred to Little Bohemia as his “home away from home” and often spoke of it during his travels. In 1961, just as he walked off the course from his 1st British Open win, Arnold Palmer received a call from Walter Hagen; a call that was the beginning of a lifelong friendship. “The biggest thrill I got when I set a British Open record of 276 strokes at Troon, was to have Walter Hagen phone me from Little Bo’s in Traverse City to congratulate me,” said Palmer. “I didn’t even know The Haig knew I was alive until then. So when I went to Traverse City to honor him near the end of his life I had to go and visit this place he called his home.” The actual interview can be seen on YouTube; just search Arnold Palmer.Stop by for great home cooking and fast friendly service.
Lansing
“Small and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Beer selection was decent and food was great. Burger and bohamie which was delicious. Band wasn't too loud. Had a great meal.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“So yummy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We came to TC from Grand Rapids for a getaway with little knowledge of local fair, we chose Little Bohemia based off the great reviews and were not disappointed. Great service by both owner and our waitress...
Hubby had a burger and fries, wifey had the TC Grinder with potato chips. Live music was enjoyable, little loud but we knew that going in. Definitely a place we will return every time we're back up here!

Visited April 2014
Grawn, Michigan
“Hidden Secret in Traverse City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We happened upon Bo's by accident - we won the TC Restaurant Week contest through UP North Live/Traverse Magazine and Bo's was one of the winning certificates. We new years ago that it was a "smoky bar scene" ; however, they were the first in Traverse City to go smoke free and it actually increased their business. The food was excellent - mussels, perch, variety of local beers on tap and attentive service. We told Nancy that we would be back with friends!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Traverse City, Michigan, United States
“Great Casual Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great bar/pub atmosphere with surprisingly good food. Great beer selection, good music and very friendly staff. The perch is great, the German/Austrian food is very good as well. Great place to take the family early and to start off a casual date night.

Visited April 2014
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Who says you can't go home again~~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I've been visiting Traverse City for about the last 40 years, and I don't know how I ever missed this little gem! What a delightful, quaint and wonderful surprise. Great food… we had the perch and for dessert, the tiramisu. I have eaten a lot of tiramisu in my life, and I have to say this is the BEST I've ever had!! To top it all off, there was lovely entertainment by a folk duo I would have paid to listen to, and staff who were so friendly and nice, we got a hug on our was out!! Thank you Nancy for making this visit special. I can't wait to come back!!!

• Visited April 2014