“Like Family” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 255 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: LITTLE BOHEMIA, Traverse City's 2nd Oldest Tavern, was built as a hot dog stand in 1932, with Curb Side Service and outdoor seating, an annual ritual of making sauerkraut, and a Speak Easy in the basement. Folks would knock on the back door and go directly to the basement. One evening while closing up the owner was paid a visit by a couple of Al Capone’s men. They held him at gunpoint, warning him he’d better get his liquor from Capone or else! The men were chased off by an employee who was able to sneak out to his truck and get his shotgun; he surprised them; fortunately they never returned. Located in the heart of “Little Bohemia” as the area was known and being of Bohemian descent, the original owner named his business in honor of the Bohemian community that had settled on the west end of the city. Little Bohemia immediately became the gathering place on Saturday nights. At the end of prohibition, the building was expanded to include a tavern and its popularity continued to grow into a Traverse City landmark, now an icon and a premier destination in the city’s West End District. This traditional Michigan tavern has stood the test of time and still maintains its original name. Little Bohemia is blessed with fame in its own right, as the 2nd oldest tavern in Traverse City, but basks in the glory of the late Sir Walter Hagen. The golf legend, who settled on Long Lake after he retired, made a daily stop to “hold court” or play a few games of bumper pool and of course have a few drinks. Mr. Hagen lovingly referred to Little Bohemia as his “home away from home” and often spoke of it during his travels. In 1961, just as he walked off the course from his 1st British Open win, Arnold Palmer received a call from Walter Hagen; a call that was the beginning of a lifelong friendship. “The biggest thrill I got when I set a British Open record of 276 strokes at Troon, was to have Walter Hagen phone me from Little Bo’s in Traverse City to congratulate me,” said Palmer. “I didn’t even know The Haig knew I was alive until then. So when I went to Traverse City to honor him near the end of his life I had to go and visit this place he called his home.” The actual interview can be seen on YouTube; just search Arnold Palmer.Stop by for great home cooking and fast friendly service.
Naples, Florida
“Like Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

When you visit this restaurant, you're treated like family, at least this is true when you go there for lunch. Our "lunch bunch" has returned to Little "Bo" several times and particularly enjoy the hamburgers and cherry bread pudding!

• Visited September 2012

“Good burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband went there for dinner orders beer cheese dip witch was good. A little disappointed because it was cold and I was expecting it to be hot. We both orders burger witch were delicious. Great food for the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Little Bohemia, a lucky find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This restaurant really delivers, with their delicious and "made-in-house" food. My "House Special" of roast pork, dumpling, sauerkraut, and the best applesauce I have ever tasted, was a delight. The charming and fun proprietor told me the applesauce was made from locally grown Jonagold apples, with very minimal sugar. It was a Winner!!!
My son's Grinder was so good that his comments were "Mmmmmmmmmm, Delicious!!
Looking forward to many repeat visits when we return to Traverse City.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great restaurant I give it a 5 out of 5!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Excellent food.1st time visiting Traverse City. Highly recommended. Staff was very friendly. Alfredo was deeeeelicious!

London, Canada
“Can't wait to visit Little Bohemia when we come back this way!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our first time visiting Traverse City. We arrived on a Wednesday night. We'd had a fair drive and were very hungry. After checking in at the hotel, my husband drove downtown looking at what might be available for a nice meal. We drove for quite sometime down the main street and just when we thought we'd seen all there was to see...I noticed a "Good Food" sign, which caught my attention. As we drove past the side of the restaurant, I saw another sign - this time on the window - that read "food so good you'll want to lick the plate". Immediately I asked my husband to turn around. I just HAD to try a place with a sign like that!!! And in all manner of ways, we were not disappointed. From the initial entrance into the place, we could see that there were many people enjoying themselves and having a nice meal. We looked around for a spot and as we were doing so, Nancy Freund (one of the family members of the restaurant) asked how we were. My first thought was that she had mistaken me for someone that she knew - her gregarious smile and warm personality lit up as if she'd known me for life. She welcomed us as if we'd been a friend! What a wonderful way to be greeted into a place you've never been before. She then ushered us to a table - one that she thought was far enough away from a very loud but happy group that was there celebrating a class reunion. After reviewing the "story" of the restaurant, which has a very interesting history, we decided upon the hamburger. The menu reported that they get their meat fresh daily from the butcher shop across the street. It was AMAZING!!! We had also decided to try the nightly special which happened to be Macaroni and Cheese. I honestly wanted to "lick" my plate. But it gets better...at the end of the meal, Nancy asked if we'd left room for dessert because she had a specialty bread pudding that she wanted to recommend. I was pretty full after the meal and almost declined, but my husband offered to share the dish so we ordered it. Now I have never eaten bread pudding and had no idea what it looked like or what it might taste like, but I can tell you this - MY MOUTH WAS SO HAPPY!!! It was the most delicious dessert I'd ever tasted (and I have always been a cheesecake fan). I absolutely was in heaven eating this dish. So much so, that when Nancy let us know that the next night there was a band going to be playing, we decided that we'd come back for the fun and definitely to have more of her great food. If I had stayed another night - I definitely would have gone back again. What a wonderful experience!!! Thanks again Nancy for giving us an experience to remember. I will post some of the pictures of the band and guests from our evening with you on your Facebook page. Sincerely, Charlene & Keith, London, ON Canada

• Visited September 2012