“The Princess and the Pea” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 38 hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“The Princess and the Pea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Ok, I am not a princess, nor was there a pea....but what started out as a fairy tale didn't have quite the happy ending I was hoping for because of a bed that was too soft....So you may rightlfully ask, why the 4 owl eyes? My answer, because of the way the staff attempted to handle my dilemna.....plus I don't want to be the one who brings down their ratings in case my situation was a fluke. The Pros: Great trendy hotel for a small town--perfect for business class, and probably geared more for adults. So clean I could seriously eat off the floor, 5 stars for housekeeping~not to mention that both of my housekeeping staff on BOTH days were so kind, courteous and thoughtful (one female and one young male)--where do you ever see that???? The hotel and my room was so ridiculously clean I couldn't think of one thing to scrutinize and wished I could bring them to my house for a day ;-). The hotel: again--newly remodeled (3 yrs ago), beautiful, spotless, funky for a small town, great fireplace and couches and bar in the lobby--great bartender Ken (he made me promise not to mention how great he was for whipping me up some hot cocoa as he was walking out the door at 3am--this is a promise I must break). Great front desk staff from Ryan who went out of his way to help me find things to do with my kid and Travis and Warren who were both entertaining and empahtetic in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and Lianne at the front desk (?) who on the day of check out made calls to see where I could buy a bathing suit for my kid this time of year....and last but not least Scott, the manager on duty who really went out of this way to see if he could make my stay more comfortable offering me to switch to another room, giving me great ideas on where to eat and being incredibly thoughtful with my plight..the only downside (and unfortunately the reason I had to leave after two nights---the bed was too soft and I got very little sleep two nights in a row--which ultimately kinda ruined my weekend b/c I was a walking zombie half of the day). But, alas, maybe you like a soft bed--me, not so much. Maybe my particular room was a fluke--maybe it wasn't. All I know is I have never had to leave a hotel because the bed wasn't comfortable for me. Otherwise this place takes the cake! Thanks to Jack the GM (whom I never met) for hiring such a wonderful staff--if it wasn't for them, I would have certainly given this place a much lower rating. There wasn't one staff member who wasn't a true gem!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Cambria Suites is the best choice you can make in Traverse City, short of a few of the top-notched B&B's in the area. Our room was well-appointed and clean and the service was first-rate. The bed was very comfortable. The desk was adequate, although I have sat in more comfortable desk chairs. Also, the shelf divider that separates the bedroom from the desk does little to keep the light out of the bedroom. That problem exists at every Cambria. The biggest rub was the $8.95 charge for a breakfast buffet that was half of what you get at a Holiday Inn Express for free. Not bad, just not a lot on it. With that said, no one told us we had to eat there, and I would recommend venturing out to one of TC's many fine restaurants. But beyond these few minor issues, Cambria is a great place to stay! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Another wonderful stay at Cambria Suites! As always, exceeds our expectations; very clean room, comfortable bed with lots of pillows, nice seating areas, large walk-in shower, attractive modern decor. Staff is friendly and courteous. We enjoyed cocktails and dinner in the lounge, and a delicious breakfast in the morning. This is our favorite pace to stay in Traverse City!

Byron Center, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for 'Toast the Season' an annual wine event for the Leelenau Pennisula wineries. The bed slept very comfortable. The closet space along the bed is somewhat small but adequate for a two night stay. Happy hour from 4-7 was very nice, busy. I had a great turkey sandwich at the lounge. The front desk was very pleasant. It was full due to an international mountain bike race as well as the wine event but our room was clean, fresh towels and toiletries every day. It was our first time at Cambria Suites and we will go back. The room only had a stand up shower, no tub. My wife's only complaint was that you got wet turning on the shower which of course is always cold at first because the shower has a glass wall between the shower and toilet so you walk into one end of the shower and walk to the other end to turn it on. I solved this problem by having her shower first. I get in and turn it on, water was already warm. LOL The lounge was nice and comfy with bar stool, high tables and couches and low table as well. Free Wi-Fi, microwave, small fridge, coffemaker and electric portable hair dryers in the rooms. They have a buffet breakfast that we did not take advantage of so I cannot comment on the quality/type of food. Again, very nice and we will return.

Room Tip: I would get a room on the second floor or above
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is beautiful both in the lobby area and the room itself. Everyone was extremely friendly. The room is decorated in a modern style and it unique compared to most hotels. Two flat screens and a separate sitting area are nice touches. Will definitely add this to our list of future hotel stays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lower Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is our favorite hotel in the city. Modern and spacious rooms. Two tv's, lots of outlets by the desk for charging your phones, etc. Mini fridge and microwave are very handy. We just love this place

Room Tip: Don't get a room too close to the elevator. You can hear it ding every time the elevator stops...
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The best hotel I've ever stayed at in TC. Rooms were clean, well decorated, and spacious. Free Wi-Fi! The lobby bar has awesome happy-hour drink and food specials. Free shuttle to and from downtown. Workout facilities are adequate and the pool/hottub are very nice!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cambria Suites Traverse City? Share your experiences!