“Northern Michigan Favorite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Platte River Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Platte River Campground
You added Platte River Campground to your Saves list
Sleeping Bear Dunes, Traverse City, MI   |
Northern Michigan
“Northern Michigan Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We spent three nights at PRC over Memorial Weekend 2012 and had a great stay! PRC has been our favorite campground so far. I felt our site was plenty spacious and offered great privacy (site #111). The location is great, right on Platte River and very near Lake Michigan. The facilities are some of the nicest and cleanest I've seen and all the rangers we encountered were very friendly. The only thing that rubbed me a bit the wrong way is that there was an additional charge when we arrived to use the electric on our site...no big deal, but should have been disclosed upfront. Also, be aware, it is a bit of a drive from PRC to most of the Sleeping Bear Dunes hikes, attractions, etc. No question for us though, we'll definitely be back to PRC, in fact, maybe even again this summer!

Room Tip: Use google earth to pick out your site. #111 offers good privacy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Muskegon, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We spent 3 nights at Platte River and absolutely loved it. Our only regret was we should have stayed longer. So many things to do in the area. Next time we will do more hiking. The Platte River was as warm as bath water and tubing down it was so absolutely relaxing. Can't wait to return.

The campsites are paved, level, and spaced nicely apart. Finally a modern campground that does not feel crowded! Set in the woods with just the right amount of privacy at each site. Bathrooms were clean and newer, showers require tokens but are very nice,

Reservations are a must. My advice is to book 6 months in advance, or check every day the month before your arrival. We snaged a cancellation about 3 weeks before our date.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our site was completely off in nature. We barely saw other people while we were at our camp site, yet there were modern bathrooms and showers about 200 meters away. The perfect combination of seclusion and convenience. Lake Michigan was 0.8 miles from our camp site so we enjoyed the views and walking along the lake.

It was about 200 meters to the car which wasn't too far considering food needed to be stored in the car during the night or when we were out enjoying the park. There was a bear alert and we met a ranger near our site who was great - he explained why its important that food and scented toiletries be stored and what to do if we were to encounter a bear. My kids were quite disappointed that we never actually saw a bear.

The staff was great. I had to change the dates of the reservation I made online and the person who helped me by phone was great. When I arrived to the campgrounds I learned that they had walk-in sites (sites without electricity and you have to carry your stuff to get there). Since there were a couple walk-in sites available and no more regular sites like I had reserved they let me switch which I really appreciated! I found the staff very pleasant.

The campgrounds and restrooms were clean and well maintained. One of the best campgrounds I have stayed at. Everyone in the family wishes we could have stayed longer to enjoy "real" camping in nature.

Room Tip: If you want a more secluded experience, ask for a walk-in site! We were at site C4 which was awesome...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Northville, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This is a phenomonal campground. Truly the best for a family or a couple who do not believe you have to be drunk to camp. Yes, they have rules, quiet time from 10 to 7 or 8.. I can't remember. We stayed at a private campground last year and had a group of doping drunks next to us who had us up both nights until after 3am. My children got an education in foul language. The Ranger at Platte River told me that the people who don't like the rules are the ones who are selfish and only thinking of themselves and don't care about others enjoyment. These sights are pretty private, the bathrooms and showers are cleaned daily, trash gets removed at a reasonable hour (no haulers backing into dumpsters at 4am here!) and the place is clean. 2 years in a row we have arrived at our site to find the campers before us has left a teepee of logs in the fire ring for us. There are always exceptions here and there, but in general, that is the type of person who camps here. Cannot say enough good things about Platte River. The Rangers are top notch and run a beautiful campground in one of the most beautiful places I've been to in the U.S. My kids are older now, but both did the Ranger program and learned a bunch about the area and what the Park Service does.

Room Tip: We are tent campers and only stay in Loop 4. No electricity needed. You might consider the walk in...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sylvania, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stayed at Platte River Campround for three nights. There was a bear alert but we did not see any. We stayed at site 416 which had very good privacy. It had a nice level ground for our tent. Restrooms were clean and well kept. Rangers were friendly.

The national park itself was extremely beautiful. Well worth a visit for anyone that likes outdoors.

If you go with kids, make sure they pick up the Junior Ranger Booklet. If they do a minimum of 4 activities they get a badge. We learned a lot from all the different activities and venues the park offered.

We also spent some time at the River (http://www.theriverglenarbor.com/). What a fun place to visit. Definitely check out their canoe trip. A nice relaxing experience with plenty time to observe and enjoy the river ecosystem.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hastings, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I stayed two days with my family. It a very nice, quite and very clean campground. And it is so closes to so much to see and do. Sleeping Bear dunes,the Platte River for kayaking canoeing and rafting, beautiful beaches and very friendly people. My family and I will be going back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ferndale, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I have stayed here 3 times now. Great campground. Restrooms are updated and always clean - HOT water in the showers. Be careful of quiet time (10:00 pm). It is not what you would consider a "party" campground. Reservations are tough to come by. They fill up 6 months in advance, although there are first come first serve sites everyday if you get ther early enough (like before sunrise!).

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Platte River Campground? Share your experiences!