“Traverse City has a Hidden GEM in this resort!!” 5 of 5 stars

Pinestead Reef Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1265 U.S. 31 North, Traverse City, MI 49686   |
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Traverse City, Michigan
“Traverse City has a Hidden GEM in this resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Having stayed here a few times let me start by saying that a stay at the Pinestead Reef Resort is a unique and wonderful experience. From the staff who are fantastic, friendly and very knowledgeable, to the views from the units. It just does not get any better. The rates at this time of year are very affordable and even then I would be willing to pay top dollar for a room at this resort. I have read through the recent reviews and I'm not quite sure if the people who wrote the last review were actually staying at Pinestead? My experience (as a paying customer) was quite different. The furnishings are fresh and updated, very modern and new- they even smelled new!!! I spent some time talking with the desk girls and they informed me that they update the rooms on a rotating schedule every 5 years, and if something needs it they do it sooner. The unit we stayed in was updated recently and it was very lovely. The views are outstanding- even with ice on the bay. Traverse City is close by, within 3 miles of many activities and restaurants. I travelled- this was more of a stay-cation as we are from the area- with my 2 kids and my husband and we were very comfortable in our unit. The kitchen was clean and well supplied. Instead of eating out we ordered Pizza in so we could fully enjoy our time here. We spent the rest of the evening swimming in their large indoor heated pool (84 degrees is the norm there from what the maintenance man told us) It was very relaxing. Back to the unit, The flat screen TV's have High definition and WOW- what a difference. We did not get to watch much TV, but what we did see was very clear. The TV's are larger than your average hotel/motel as well. The DVD player was not used, but I could see that on a rainy day that would be a lovely perk. So to wrap this up, besides the busy highway out front (we could not hear it from our room) there is nothing I can complain about. The service, cleanliness, attention to detail, proximity to everything, information the staff has available etc. is top notch! Keep up the good work Pinestead, We will be back. As my 6 yr. old said one day is NOT enough!!! Hopefully the next time we come we can enjoy the outside areas like the grills on the deck and the beach. I will submit pictures when I get a chance.

Room Tip: The resort is long, so if you plan on swimming a lot, then ask for a unit closer to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

A friend let me have his timeshare at this resort so understand that I paid nothing for my stay,turns out thats probably what you would want to pay too. First I will start by saying that it is in an excellent location right on the East bay and that the staff was super friendly however the resort and its facilities are passed their time it looked like 1988 with flat screen TV's added there are a lot nicer and more modern places to stay in TC. So if you get to stay here for free go for it! But otherwise go back to the future and stay elsewhere!

Stayed April 2014
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Myself and 2 girlfriends decided to take a little girls getaway in February 2014. None have us had ever traveled to this area but found this resort through RCI timeshare listings. We drove from Toronto overall about 7 hours but a very easy drive.

Check in was later in the day but that worked for us as we were coming from farther away. It was very easy and our room was ready upon arrival. We were able to drop our things and go to the grocery store which is about a 3 min drive away.

The unit was very nice and clean. Bathroom looked to be updated recently, kitchen was a little on the old side but nothing major. We had a one bedroom that is advertised to sleep 6, however the space of the actual unit is much too small for 6 adults. 4 max comfortably I would say. We had two beds that were comfortable and didn't use the pull out couch. All units are waterfront which is nice however being there in the winter our view was of snow and frozen lake. My one complaint is the noise from the traffic. The hotel is on the main road, as are pretty much all the hotels in the area and there is quite a lot of noise from traffic.

There are a number of wineries and top quality restaurants in the area so do your research because there is tons to choose from.

All in all we had a lovely relaxing trip. I would love to go back again in the summer as I think they have more things going on in the warmer months. And would love to see what the beach and water look like! I would go back to Pinestead given the opportunity!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was a great visit for the family. We had a one bedroom which was sufficient for the 5 of us. The lake was still *frozen*, but we enjoyed the view! I bet it is amazing in the summer when you can open your door and be on the beach. We found the full kitchen to be helpful for a few meals a day which saves money for a family! They even went out and bought a corkscrew for us when we asked for one at the front desk!! We enjoyed the pool daily and found something to do each day in the area. The facilities are a little older, but we found everything to be clean and up to date inside the rooms. The kids brought the wii and had a game room in the bedroom. I was worried about the noise this would cause, but I honestly did't hear any neighbors the entire week! I hope they didn't hear us :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have vacationed at this resort for 30 years. A lot has changed in the area in that time. This resort has kept pace. The units have undergone several updates. All units have a view of the bay. 1st level units have a walkout to a grassy area that is a buffer before you get to the sandy beach. 2nd and 3rd floor units have full balconies with patio furniture to enjoy the view. Units have full kitchens and living rooms with large flat panel TV's. The area is loaded with all the summer activities and a wide selection of quality restaurants.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Commerce Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a 3 day family excursion to Traverse City for some wine tasting the weekend before Thanksgiving. The 2 bedroom condo was plenty of room for 4 adults. The place was very clean with beautiful views of the east bay out every room in the condo. There was a severe snow storm on Saturday and the grounds crew were on top of the snow maintenance. The desk personnel were very pleasant and helpful at check in and check out. Looking to stay here in the summer so we can use the beach.

Room Tip: Room 335 highly recommended. Remodeled within the last few years.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

By far the best beach in Traverse City. You can walk forever on a sugar sand beach or swim in nice shallow water that gradually deepens. Plus a great indoor pool for bad weather days. We love to stay off season and enjoy the pool. The rooms are nice. Clean, updated and well appointed.

Room Tip: I like the top floor for a beautiful view of the Bay and no one making noise above me.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple