“What a beautiful, well-maintained resort; but watch out for bed bugs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pinestead Reef Resort

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Pinestead Reef Resort to your Saves list
Pinestead Reef Resort
1265 U.S. 31 North, Traverse City, MI 49686   |
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Traverse City
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“What a beautiful, well-maintained resort; but watch out for bed bugs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First off, I have to say that this place is very clean, very beautiful, and in a great location. The grounds and rooms are gorgeous and the beach has the softest sand I think I have ever felt. As soon as my son and i arrived, we were in awe at the room, which was very clean, modern and well equipped with probably the nicest, newest furniture I've seen in a hotel. However, I have to warn people that the next morning I discovered a bug crawling on the bathroom floor. When I went to kill it with a piece of toilet paper, a large amount of blood came from it. At first I didn't think much of it (except that the bug had way more blood than it should for such a little creature), but then when i went to fix the bedding in the bed I had slept in, I discovered another one crawling on a pillow. I killed this one with tissue as well, and hoped that these were the only two! I had my son check for pictures of bed bugs on his phone and the images he showed me matched what I had seen. I then pulled back the fitted sheet to check the creases of the mattress and did not find anymore bugs...to my relief. I called the front desk to tell them and asked for garbage bags, which I went to retrieve. We very carefully put everything (including my purse) into the garbage bags and closed them tight. We banged out our shoes outside of the room to ensure nothing was in them, and the plastic garbage bags as well, before loading them in our vehicle. When I returned to the front desk to check out, I asked for the manager and informed him of the situation. He was genuinely concerned and understood that this is a real problem for hotels right now. He advised that he had not had any other reports, so I am hoping that it is early and the Pinestead can treat this problem before it gets out of hand. I reiterate that this resort is very, very clean and absolutely beautifully maintained. The staff are excellent and I would love to stay there again with my family, provided the matter of bed bugs is resolved. I understand how easily bed bugs travel and infest. It is always good practice (and always my practice, except for in this instance) to check the bed bug registry and inspect the mattress seams for hotels you plan to stay at. These pests are no longer just located in the bigger city hotels and you don't want to bring them home with you. As for ensuring we don't bring this problem home (an approach anyone else might want to take), I have everything still in my garage (including the clothes we wore home that we changed out of an bagged right in the garage), double garbage bagged, and sprayed with raid for bed bugs (which you can get at Wal-mart). After a couple of days I am going to carefully put everything in the dryer, then the washer, then the dryer again...so basically, suffocate them, poison them, cook them, drown them, then cook them again...I'm thinking extreme measures are appropriate in this case. Sites will tell you heat is the best, so the dryer is the best and most essential step.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Plymouth, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just got back from a 7 day stay here for the first time. I have driven by this place for years and always wondered what it was like. We came up with two other couples and all had separate rooms. Check in is 5 pm which I think is a little late when you are paying 250 a night and then checking out at 11 am and paying another 250. Check in was seamless once our room was ready and we stayed in a one bedroom with two double beds and a private balcony on the 3rd floor. The room had everything we could want for a 7 day stay. Kitchen had all the appliances and dishes we could want. Living area was large and separate from bedroom. Both rooms had new flat screen T.V.s. Bathroom was hidden around corner from beds so you can have some privacy. Balcony had a gorgeous view of East Bay. Furniture needs some updating and there were a few small things that could be fixed around the property but this IS a prime location hence the 250 a night. Rooms were cleaned three times while we were there but I believe that does not get done for timeshare owners. Indoor pool, hot tub, game room, small 3 piece exercise room and a dry sauna are about it for extras. All staff were very friendly. Biggest issue we had all week was putting up with first floor guests who thought that the community tables on the lawn outside their rooms was for their use only. Resort policy states that these are first come first serve but we had consistent verbal spars with ground floor tenants who must have had trouble reading the rules. I will be calling other hotels in vicinity next year to check on pricing. I may find find a better deal and I may not. They also have two bedroom rooms if you have a larger party. Best tip for staying here is try and get room with private balcony.

Room Tip: Get one with private balcony if you can afford it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bay City, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My three children and I stood at Pinestead Reef a few weekends ago for two nights and had a wonderful stay. We stayed in a one bedroom condo on the second floor and it was very clean and had everything we could need in the well-stocked kitchen. It was great to have a living room and a kitchen when you have kids traveling with you! One night we opted to stay on the beach for dinner and made sandwiches in the room to take downstairs. The room was a bit dated, but kept very clean. There were two queen-sized beds in the bedroom and a comfortable bathroom. The beach was right outside the door downstairs and easily accessible through the patio steps. Nice view of the water too. I highly recommend this condo property if you would like to be on the beach with more amenities than just a hotel room. Staff was very friendly too.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor that has a walk-out to the beach!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

More than we needed. Had a full kitchen. Which we did not need or use. Was on first floor and could walk on to a beautiful beach. It was a little dated but good enough. The room size was huge. Most of the furniture was fine, some showed a little wear. My wife felt it was not the cleanest place (kitchen chair and bathroom floor) I felt it was ok and would not stop me from coming back. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Compared to a true 5 star hotel it is not, but the location on the beach and the size of the rooms makes it worth a look. Great for family with small kids and teens who love to walk the beach

• Stayed July 2013
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I take a week vacation every year to Traverse City and stay at the Pinestead. It's beautiful resort with a indoor pool, arcade room, BBQ's and this resort has the BEST BEACH! Some of the water levels on Grand Traverse Bay are very very low but the Pinestead doesn't have that problem and looks fantastic every year. This resort is always packed to capacity in the summer. Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky one's like my family and I to buy a timeshare or stay a week or two on the bay. GORGOUS place to stay!

Room Tip: I suggest asking for a end unit. They are a bit more $$ but well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South Haven, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was the 1st time we stayed on the bay in TC. Normally we will stay on the big lake either farther north or south. We chose this location because it was for a family reunion and the 2 BR condo, it was perfect! The location was awesome and the sunset over the bay was spectacular, we made a point to watch the every night. The room also worked out well as family came in and out all week and everyone enjoyed their stay. The facility is centrally located and anything you would want or need is walking distance or a short drive. The grounds were well manicured and pristine. The kitchen had everything we needed so we were able to make whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. The bedrooms were on opposite of each other so we still had plenty of space and the living room was sufficient. The pool area and beaches were very nice and kept clean with plenty of loungers and chairs available. We were able to walk the beach in either direction as the State Park was right next door. The ducks and swans were beggars for sure; we were sucker and would throw them treats. It was a wonderful stay and would recommend.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grosse Ile, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This place is a perfect location to lock ourselves up in the room to just quilt all day and all week. Staff is friendly and they know us since we come up every year. I don't care about the looks of this place as long as we have a comfortable bed, working kitchen and a swimming pool to take breaks in. It is a good place to stay during the winter obviously for skiing or quilting. It gives us relaxing feeling quilting away while we watch swans swimming away on the semi frozen bay with snow all over. We are coming back in early next year!

Room Tip: If you want a perfect view of the bay, take a studio.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pinestead Reef Resort? Share your experiences!